BBQ'd a 5lbs Pork Shoulder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > BBQ'd a 5lbs Pork Shoulder

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Grimm5577
1997 TJ Wrangler 

BBQ'd a 5lbs Pork Shoulder

So I BBQ'd a 5lb Pork Shoulder this weekend. Started off coating the meat with a Kansas City Dry Rub and fresh minced garlic for about 12 hours.

Started the fire, I usually start with some charcoal briquets and then toss some wood on top and burn the logs down to coals. I then maintain the fire over with lump charcoal and mesquite wood chunks for added flavor/smoke.

My Marinade and spice, As mentioned before I used a generous portion of the dry rub 12 hours before, I then smoke the meat for about 2-3 hours at 225-265 and then flip it, i coat it with some Carolina style BBQ sauce then smoke it for another 2-2.5 hours at 225-265 (Internal temp should be around 140). I then put the meat in a disposable aluminum pan pour on some more BBQ sauce, pour a little beer in cover it tight and let it cook for another 3 to 4 hours at 250ish (Internal temp should be 190).

the result. A pork shoulder with some good smokey bark with meat that is falling off the bone!

Close up of the bark.

Hard to see the bone here falling out of the meat.

After the pork rested i cut off some meat and started pulling it apart for some pulled pork sandwiches. Put the pulled pork in a bowl and pour in your favorite style BBQ sauce (don't over do it, you want to taste the pork after all)

As a side i made some Cheddar and Brie Fresh Blue Claw Crab mac and cheese. This was ****ing fantastic!!!

Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice im hungy now...... i wont be eating this good in the cafeteria for sure(wimper)lol

Was the mac and cheese easy to make?
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Grimm5577
1997 TJ Wrangler 

mac and cheese was really simple.
Cook up some macaroni, strain and cool.
In the same pot you cooked the macaroni add 1 cup or so of milk, 2-3 tlbs of butter, and cheese. ( i used a small block of extra sharp cheddar, 2 cups mild cheddar, and about 1 cup of brie) 2-4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce and then the crab meat. Let that start to melt up and get a little soupy. Add the macaroni back into the pot and stir to coat evenly. (if you like a creamier mac and cheese you are done, but i like baked mac and cheese) So i poured everything into a baking pan and then topped it off with another few hand fulls of cheddar cheese and crushed white cheddar cheez-its. Bake till golden on top and serve.
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thanks, about how much crab meat?
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Grimm5577
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Off hand I don't know. i cleaned about 5 blue claw crabs for it, maybe .5lbs?
I don't think you could use too much crab
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
dooboy2112
2000 WJ 

Wow your pork shoulder looks good.
dooboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It all looks great!
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
rueskj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your pork shoulder looks really good. My mouth is watering just looking at the pics of the bark.

I usually pull mine and wrap it in foil for the last leg. I'm gonna try the aluminum pan with the beer next time.

Thanks for a great thread!
03 Liberty - 2" lift

justjeepin.org
rueskj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Grimm5577
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone, this was my second go at one and certainly more successful than the first. I did aluminum foil last time, and usually for my ribs, I had the pan handy so i thought to give it a try, my thinking was the beer and sauce would partially steam the meat helping it stay moist and juicy.
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You guys are killing me. Although I just had my share of great pork dishes on vacation in Greece last week, I came back at the beginning of Ramadan here. No pork available to me for a month
ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
garand555

It's been too long since I've BBQed a nice Boston Butt. It's tough to beat pulled pork that is about an hour out of the 'ole pile of bricks. No, my smoker is not very mobile.
garand555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

ptwhaler, I saw a while back that you had come back into town and am wondering if you went to Maurice's for some Q while you were home ?

They use to have a takeout plate with Q, a chicken quarter and ribs on it that I liked but it was way to much for me at one sitting.

I hope all is well with you and yours .

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

hi phitmein, I was home for a couple of weeks in June but didn't get any Maurice's. I went to Hudson's Smokehouse instead. I grew up on Maurice's but now I find some of the mom & pop buffets like Hudson's better and even a little cheaper. My old job before I started working over here used to take me to Aiken a couple of times a month and I would always stop at Shealy's for lunch. Drove my boss crazy. Not that he cared I was there, just wanted to go himself

They started selling pork in Qatar a few months ago at the one and only liquor store so I did bring back some Maurice's sauce. Once Ramadan is over and they open back up I'm going to get a big pork roast from there and make a SC style bbq for my British friends. They won't know what to think.
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #14
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Shealy's was up off I-26 turn at exit 97 the Peak exit, oops nope sorry, that was Price's BBQ right ?

Shealy's is in Batesburg-Leesville if I remember right and is a buffet style place with more side choices than any Q joint that I ever ate at .

I like Eastern NC style Q the best and it is not mustard based like most SC joints but is more like vinegar and red pepper sauce .

But Shealy's has both the mustard based and the Vinegar and red pepper based too if I remember right .

The Pee-Dee area Q is alot like the Eastern NC Q by the way.

Nice to hear from you again Home boy .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, Shealy's is Batesburg-Leesville and definitely one of the biggest buffets of any Q joint ever. Hudson's is close to the house and almost as good so we go there. They also have a variety of sauces to choose from. I think both SC and NC have some of the best Q joints in the country, there are good ones all over the state.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.