Bacon wrapped stuffed brats! Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Bacon wrapped stuffed brats! Help!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bacon wrapped stuffed brats! Help!

Ok, so Easter Sunday, I took my grill with me to work, to cook up lunch for us, since with only 2 employees in the store, we couldn't leave for food... I had this genius idea of taking johnsonville jalepeno brats, cutting a "v" notch out of them, stuffing them with cheese and a pickle spear, and wrapping them in bacon, and grilling them up (on foil, to catch the cheese and grease)... Well all was good, until the bacon grease caught fire, and burnt the bacon so bad, I couldn't really tell if I was eating brats or charcoal... How do I prevent this from happening? Seriously, I want to know! Anyways, I brought some steaks with me too, just in case.... But please help!

I love the thought of some bacon wrapped goodness, and I want to perfect it, but I'm not sure how...

[SIZE="2"]Green Jeep Club #633[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Motorcharge;13870204]You had me at bacon wrapped. :drool:[/QUOTE]
jfinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Smokey28173
2007 WK 

That sounds like the best bbq meal ive ever heard of. Sucks your bacon burned. Maybe try cooking the bacon some in a pan before hand to get some of the grease out. Gonna have to try this one myself
'07 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK. Laredo. Silver. 3.7L. Interstate 790 CCA Battery Class lll Towing | | Jeeps are Sexy Member #2. | XK/WK Owners Club Member #12. |
Smokey28173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I, too, have always had issues with grilling bacon.

Hopefully someone has the answer...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
ntkarter4x
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinlaw View Post
Ok, so Easter Sunday, I took my grill with me to work, to cook up lunch for us, since with only 2 employees in the store, we couldn't leave for food... I had this genius idea of taking johnsonville jalepeno brats, cutting a "v" notch out of them, stuffing them with cheese and a pickle spear, and wrapping them in bacon, and grilling them up (on foil, to catch the cheese and grease)... Well all was good, until the bacon grease caught fire, and burnt the bacon so bad, I couldn't really tell if I was eating brats or charcoal... How do I prevent this from happening? Seriously, I want to know! Anyways, I brought some steaks with me too, just in case.... But please help!

I love the thought of some bacon wrapped goodness, and I want to perfect it, but I'm not sure how...
You grilling with propane or charcoal? I grill stuffed burgers and wrap the outside in bacon and have never had any issues. I grill on a Hasty-Bake charcoal grill
ntkarter4x is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Charcoal... Maybe I'll have to try to be a little more indirect with it... In my mind, it was an excellent concept, but with poor execution... Plus, I felt like a let down to my co-worker... Lol

Unread 04-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Any help on reducing the chance of burning bacon on the grill?

Unread 04-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
ryan22ddd
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Low heat. Highest rack. Slowwww.
ryan22ddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
ntkarter4x
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan22ddd View Post
Low heat. Highest rack. Slowwww.
Agree...when I grill anything with bacon, I put the coals down real far away from the rack. Saves your and allows for more
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
MemorEsto
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When you put the foil down, you are letting all the grease build up, then when the foil breaks it's a massive fire.

No foil and just on the grates it slowly drips grease with minimum flare ups, as long as you keep the lid on.

The bigger the stinger, the smaller the wiener
MemorEsto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntkarter4x View Post
Agree...when I grill anything with bacon, I put the coals down real far away from the rack. Saves your and allows for more
Hmmm now that's what I wanted to hear!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I never thought about it that way with the foil.... I think I'll try again this weekend, thinking I'll stuff them with smoked Gouda cheese, and peppercinis...

Unread 04-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
ntkarter4x
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinlaw View Post
I never thought about it that way with the foil.... I think I'll try again this weekend, thinking I'll stuff them with smoked Gouda cheese, and peppercinis...
I would suggest soaking them in beer for awhile before grilling...definitely adds to the flavor. In the op you said that you stuffed them with cheese and then a pickle spear. I have to ask, how was the grilled pickle? Can't say I've ever done that
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntkarter4x

I would suggest soaking them in beer for awhile before grilling...definitely adds to the flavor. In the op you said that you stuffed them with cheese and then a pickle spear. I have to ask, how was the grilled pickle? Can't say I've ever done that
Aside from the BURNT bacon, once a got the bacon off the rest was pretty good. I liked the grilled pickle. However, if you prefer the hot/cold contrast in every bite, you could put the pickle on last... And I must say, burning the cheese just enough to make it crispy was quite tasty!

Unread 04-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
Smokey28173
2007 WK 

Tried this recipe the other night without wrapping them in foil and it was freaking awesome
'07 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK. Laredo. Silver. 3.7L. Interstate 790 CCA Battery Class lll Towing | | Jeeps are Sexy Member #2. | XK/WK Owners Club Member #12. |
Smokey28173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
ZEEROX1TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wow this is better then the pizza thread. For best results I would wrap them up, soak them in beer, Gettem crispy delicious on the grill and finish in the oven. Or u could deep fry them. Hmmmm I'm seeing a new special on the board.
ZEEROX1TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.