Tire Coverage issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Tire Coverage issue

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 05-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Jasons4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tire Coverage issue

I live in Baltimore County, have an '06 TJ Sport, 4" suspension 1.25" BL, 35" tires, etc.

I have been wanting a set of "tube fenders". Long story short, my wife got me a set of the Poison Spyder Defenders for Christmas this past year. I chose the "Zero Flares" because I like the way it looks.

I installed wheel spacers a couple years ago due to clearance issues back on my old lift and have never gotten around to taking them off. Consequently, even with the stock fenders/flares my tires still stuck out a couple inches but I have never been pulled over for it or anything.

Yesterday I finally got the Poison Spyder fenders installed (sorry no pics yet), and I L-O-V-E the way they look but I can't help feeling like I made a huge mistake. I'm totally paranoid about getting pulled over for my tires sticking out. I know it was technically illegal before and I never had any trouble but I feel like it's a lot more obvious now that it's illegal. What's worse is that I feel like since I cut my stock fenders off I have no easy way of fixing it were I to get a repair order. I mean, I could swap them out for a set of Defenders with flares but that would be a nearly $600 mistake. Maybe I could have somebody fab up some flares for these if it becomes an issue.

Or maybe the police won't care and I'm worrying for nothing? I've seen Jeeps with tires sticking way out all over the place around here - in fact on my way to drop the Jeep off to have the fenders put on I passed a white TJ that had the same fenders on it.

So what do you think?? Is this something I need to worry about or do you think I'll be ok?

Jasons4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
JohnW720
2000 TJ Wrangler 

my tires stick out a few inches and i dont have any issues. but after seeing some of these tacos that are driving around langley park with huge spacers and more than half of their tires exposed, the cops dont care about tire coverage. especially in baltimore, there are a lot more serious things that cops are worried about.
JohnW720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.