Street Parking a Jeep in 'Downtown' Baltimore - Any Thoughts? -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Street Parking a Jeep in 'Downtown' Baltimore - Any Thoughts?

Yeti Paracord Handles are in at JeepHut.comFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 6th annual beat your wife to the credit cards sale!!

Unread 08-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
2007 JK Wrangler 
Street Parking a Jeep in 'Downtown' Baltimore - Any Thoughts?

Hey All - After a few years without a jeep I finally took the plunge and got another - Just bought a 2007 JKU, I'll be picking it up in a few days. I moved to Baltimore ~4 months ago and am living in Canton, so I'm still adjusting to the ...'quirks'... and what not. So apologies if this is overstated or whatever (although I do enjoy Balt so far, finally getting a little comfy here).

Anyway, I see a few other jeeps parked on the street around here and am wondering what kind of precautions or risks am I running leaving an open vehicle parked on the street here. I see a few that leave it door-less at night, windows out, etc... Is this a smart idea?

Obviously I get the whole don't leave stuff in it, etc. but does anyone have any tips or stories around this? Sort of afraid to build this up, add bumpers/winches, etc because I'd rather not have it stand out on the street at 2 AM and I'm looking for some reassurance.

pmarascal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
2013 JK Wrangler 
Congrats on the Jeep and welcome to MD. Lived in MD my whole life. I don't even like leaving my hardtops off in downtown Frederick. No way would I leave them off in downtown Baltimore. That's just my opinion though.
Smokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
1991 YJ Wrangler 
I was in Fells for a while and would usually see a few topless/doorless wranglers around, so it's not uncommon. The way I see it is anyone who wants to, and is capable of, steeling heavy bolted on parts or the whole thing will do so regardless of if the top and doors are on. The homeless and heroin zombies only go for the grab and run stuff. I never left mine open, but I always leave stuff laying around and the YJ is notoriously easy to steal.

I never heard any horror stories, though, and you'll quickly figure out which blocks to avoid. Canton is highly gentrified so I'd say there's a higher risk of a drunk "bro" puking in it than someone stealing the big stuff. Overall I wouldn't worry about leaving it open every once in a while. It's not a "smart idea" and you may occasionally find someone sleeping in it, but there's really no extra risk of the really bad stuff (stolen/stripped) with it open vs. locked. My $.02.
boostedsvo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
2005 LJ Wrangler 
I leave my Jeep open (doorless, topless) in Baltimore all the time. Generally in Fells Point, parked on Broadway, in Charles Village, downtown, and sometimes a little farther up Eastern Ave. The only problem I've ever had was I left a cheap Roadside Assistance kit in the back once that went missing. Didn't notice it until long after the fact. Sometimes I lock my CD player in the console, sometimes I don't. If they want something in your Jeep, they'll just cut the top to get it. Your rig ain't gonna get stripped and put on blocks just cause the doors are off.
kennycrybaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
2012 JK Wrangler 
No matter where you are its a gamble. My jeep is topless and half or no doors 100% of the time. I try to keep most the stuff out of it when its doing street duty. Things i cant i make very hard to remove. As well as i am close and so is a 629.
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
Everyone does things their own ways. I've come to this conclusion for "items in vehicle"
If it costs more to worry about it, don't bring it. I only leave things in my jeep I would be happy for someone to take. I still have my drums, brake lines and cylinder from the change 2 months ago sitting in the back! hahaha! moral of the story; people will take anything, so don't give them the chance!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DahGhai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.