sand tips?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > sand tips??

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 07-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
heepinforChrist
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sand tips??

i was thinkin about goin camping on assateague island and doin a little bit of driving around but dont really know about sand. i really am not into sinking up to my rockers in sand with no one around to help to i was just looking for some sand offroad tips from experience, also anyone been to assateague before? how is it?

heepinforChrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
njjeepthing
2011 JK Wrangler 

ALWAYS air down! Use caution not to get sand in stem or cap. Lowering your tire pressure is easier on your vehicle, on the beach and on the next person to come on the beach.

Plan your movements. Try not to make last minute decisions. Cross ruts gradually and avoid hard turns. Use pre-existing ruts when possible.

If you start to get stuck STOP! There is no hard bottom; you will just continue to dig a hole. The throttle is not the answer. Attempt to back up into your own ruts, air down, dig out or get help.

If you need to be pulled out, always have the towed vehicle in gear if possible. Do not dead pull, a snatch strap and tension is usually all that is needed. Try to avoid 30mph jerk outs they are hard on all the equipment and very dangerous to those nearby.

Always fill in the holes that are created when you get stuck; the next person will thank you!

If your vehicle runs hot from beach driving, turn it into the wind and open the hood. Do not shut it down hot!

4-wheel drive is mandatory on almost all beaches and is RECOMMENDED.

Horsepower: Too much can hurt as much as it can help Easy on that throttle! Slow and Steady!

Tires: Standard tread design as compared to mud tread (mud tires are for mud and not sand). Almost all tires must be aired down to 15lbs. to 18lbs. (depending on vehicle weight). Be sure to exercise caution when driving to an air up location. Low tires offer poor handling on a hard road surface.

4-wheel high gear vs. low gear: This needs to be determined on a per vehicle basis.

Washing down your vehicle after a tip to the beach is critical if you intend to keep that vehicle. A good coat of wax will help with the removal of salt spray.

Maintenance is important. Full grease fittings will not allow sand to enter, and a well maintained vehicle will not leak harmful fluids onto the beach.

Video that might help as well, although it's a bit slow!
YouTube - New Jersey Beach Buggy Association Safety Video
njjeepthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

air down, bring a high lift jack and a board that you can put it on, sand alone wont support it.

be gently on the bas pedal.

What do you have for tires? street tires will get stuck easily, my Super Swamper iroks would be hard to get stuck if i tried.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

And airing down does not mean 20 psi. You want 10 psi or even less depending on tire and vehicle.

I also recommend stopping on a slight downward slope if at all possible.

I have just the opposite experience with tire style. Street tires and/or less aggressive AT's are much better than MT's. I keep a set of AT's just for wheeling in the sand.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
stearman42
1985 CJ7 

Be advised, I checked out the Assateague Island park's website, and they REQUIRE that you bring a hi-lift jack and require a certain size bored to put it on. Also, not sure if you are aware or not, but you do need a permit to drive on the beach there, but I think they are available at the ranger station.
stearman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

That's not entirely correct. I have been to Assateague every Saturday for the past 4 weeks. They DO NOT require a hi lift jack. There is a list of equipment you must carry and you may be subject to inspection. I have seen plenty of XJ's there so you shouldn't have any problem. Keep in mind that you will need to buy an OSV permit to drive on the beach. It costs $90 for a daytime pass and is good for a year. Night passes are $110. there is no daily pass. You cannot camp on the beach unless you have a self contained camper. (pickup truck bed camper) In that case you can spend the night in the bullpen, but that will require a $150 bullpen permit in addition to the night permit.
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
fingaz
2009 WK 

I am heading down to OCMD next weekend and was trying to find a place to go off roading. Searched real quick and found this thread.

Thanks for the info and I really hope I don't get stuck in the sand!!!

How is it riding in the sand? Is it difficult??? I am not lifted and am pretty much stock.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights | Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit In -- To Do: Install Uniden CB, Rock lights
fingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearman42 View Post
Be advised, I checked out the Assateague Island park's website, and they REQUIRE that you bring a hi-lift jack and require a certain size bored to put it on. Also, not sure if you are aware or not, but you do need a permit to drive on the beach there, but I think they are available at the ranger station.
THEY REQUIRE, but no one is sitting there as you enter the beach checking your rig. you do however need a permit, the cheapest is $90 for a year pass, day use only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingaz View Post
I am heading down to OCMD next weekend and was trying to find a place to go off roading. Searched real quick and found this thread.

Thanks for the info and I really hope I don't get stuck in the sand!!!

How is it riding in the sand? Is it difficult??? I am not lifted and am pretty much stock.
was just there saturday, they only allow 145 vehicles on the beach at a time. make sure you air down and have a tire gauge in your vehicle. they have stations on the way out to air up, so thats not an issue. you will have to purchase a pass to get on the beach. enjoy, its way better than going down on the actual ocean city beach- as you kind of decide where you set up shop.

oh and they have 18.2km of beach closed right now..
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
And airing down does not mean 20 psi. You want 10 psi or even less depending on tire and vehicle.
You don't need to go quite that low. We run our full size down at OBX at 22, and don't air down our TJ (at 35). 22 is low enough that we don't have to air up when driving on the highway, but low enough still that we could let more air out if we need to.

Personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingaz View Post
There is no beach driving in O.C., just head a bit further south to Assateague Is.

Air down to about 20-22lbs in your tires. When you drive on sand keep up your momentum and try to drive in the 'ruts' of previous drivers. The sand nearest the water is harder packed than up by the dunes.

If (when) you do get stuck, do not spin your tires. Dig a little sand out of in front of your tires and ease your way out. If you are still stuck, let more air out of your tires.

Have fun.
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
fingaz
2009 WK 

Thanks for the info. Yeah, actually I guess I should have specified... Assateague Island is actually where I was looking.

My biggest "fear" is getting stuck But, I am actually heading down with a group of people and a friend has a big Ram 2500 and he is gonna come on the sand, too. We picked up some big tow chains so, if one of us gets stuck, one can pull the other out.

My other concern is that I can imagine the sand can get into stuff like brakes and engine parts (remember I am a newbie at this as I just bought my Jeep last month). I know my WK is made to go off roading, so I am not really thinking that the sand should be a problem.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights | Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit In -- To Do: Install Uniden CB, Rock lights
fingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I can't really recommend using tow chains as 'snatch' straps.
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Jakes04WJ

I've been going to assateague for years. Bring 2 pieces of HARD wood, wider than your tires and atleast 2 ft long. A jack, tire gauge, shovel and tow strap of atleast 3000 lbs.

Never use your brakes on the sand...you'll just sink. Gradually come to a stop if you feel yourself losing traction, then back up far enough that you can gain momentum and plow on through.

If you get stuck, try and dig your self out; and put the boards under two of your tires for traction. Being tugged out should only be a last ditch effort as it costs 500 (minimum) for a towing company to get you. Or the kind heartedness of a passerby.

It's 110 for the overnight pass.

You can only stay on the beach overnight if you're fishing, if not you have to go to the bullpen. But what I do is just bring a rod with a weight on it and toss it in and they'll generally leave you alone (YOU MUST HAVE YOUR FISHING LICENSE OTHERWISE YOULL GET A HEFTY FINE)
Jakes04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.