Off Roading in Montgomery or Howard County MARYLAND - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Off Roading in Montgomery or Howard County MARYLAND

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 11-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
iluvcowjuice
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 508
Yup, thats me. Thanks.

iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
WeatherWarrior
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBDEEP View Post
What is wrong with you? You actually said, and I quote, "It's not legal."

It is people like you that get areas shut down, (like all of western Maryland).

You do what you do. But do not post up that you are going there AND it is not legal.

Sorry.....that was a misspell...it's not illegal. Sorry. Don't blame me for the closing down of sites....I had NOTHING to do with that...and it isn't just illegal users that close sites down. I think you better look more at insurance companies, liability, environmentalists, and noise control as the primary issues why sites are close...not illegal off-roading.
__________________
http://www.weatherwarrior.net
http://www.twitter.com/weatherwarrior1
http://www.weatherwarrior.net/chaser/vehicle_2000Jeep.html
WeatherWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #18
WeatherWarrior
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland
Posts: 93
Since the post was deleted because I was stupid and didn't clarify properly legal versus illegal (although a quick PM would have been nice).

Off Snouffer School Road just north of Centerway Rd. is county owned property that will eventually be part of the new fire services facility. This is not a 'designated' off road area, but it's just land that is awaiting development. I've been there quite a few times (as well as others) and the Park Police that pass by never bothered me.

This is not a big deal, mostly just a few minutes and done. Also, this is a former warehouse site and the grounds have depris from the bulldozing of the old site. It has all kinds of debris, some of which may puncture your tires. Depending on how risky/adventureous you get, you might have real dangers with the underside.

There is some private property further down the gravel path/road. Don't go there. If you pass the farm house...you've gone too far. Additionally, don't go through the gated section (left/north) of the old truck tire wash area...that is private as well.

This is a 'use at your own risk' place. That is...you don't have anyone there to help if you get stuck. Think of it like a beach without a life guard.
__________________
http://www.weatherwarrior.net
http://www.twitter.com/weatherwarrior1
http://www.weatherwarrior.net/chaser/vehicle_2000Jeep.html
WeatherWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #19
HUBDEEP
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Eastern Shore of Md
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarrior View Post
Sorry.....that was a misspell...it's not illegal. Sorry. Don't blame me for the closing down of sites....I had NOTHING to do with that...I'm it isn't just illegal users that close sites down. I think you better look more at insurance companies, liability, environmentalists, and noise control as the primary issues why sites are close...not illegal off-roading.
Environmentalists close the areas BECAUSE of illegal offroading. Just keep making excuses....
__________________
-Jason
'87 YJ- - D44's, 8" SOA , 5.38's, Locked f/r, 36" IROK's and a bottle opener...
clicky-->Maryland Wheeling spots
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #20
WeatherWarrior
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBDEEP View Post
Environmentalists close the areas BECAUSE of illegal offroading? Just keep making excuses....
I'm not making any excuses. Where are you coming from with this. I don't get it. I myself have hardly been off-road. The last 4x4 I owned (Subie was AWD) never saw conditions extreme enough to actually but it in 4wd mode for more than few hundred feet. The Jeep I have I've put 20 or less miles on it. The Subaru was a lowered vehicle, and aside from the site I described above, only went on designated roads, even if they were "Bob's Roads".

However, I have read quite a bit, and have many 4x4 friends who have discussed the situation in details in many, many other states. Most areas closed to 4x4 (and motorcycles, ATVs, etc.) were done so before even one all-terrain vehicle (of any type) set one tire on the land on or near the banned area. I'm far from the most knowledge...but excuses...no, your way off base there!
__________________
http://www.weatherwarrior.net
http://www.twitter.com/weatherwarrior1
http://www.weatherwarrior.net/chaser/vehicle_2000Jeep.html
WeatherWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #21
TheRedWolf
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: belair, maryland
Posts: 27
Who want to ride legally for real breaking the law is fun. Just kidding I could care less what people do legal illegal whatever man just be safe and don't **** peoples **** up
TheRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
HUBDEEP
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Eastern Shore of Md
Posts: 1,380
I have been wheeling in the state of Maryland for about the last 17 years. In that time, all of the 'local' areas have been shut down because people did not get appropriate expressed written permission to be on that land.

Maryland has closed all of their parks to OHVs. We are working with the Department of Natural Resources to currently try to find areas to open for offroad use within the state again. Your posts of wheeling illegally do not help advance what we are trying to do.
__________________
-Jason
'87 YJ- - D44's, 8" SOA , 5.38's, Locked f/r, 36" IROK's and a bottle opener...
clicky-->Maryland Wheeling spots
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #23
WeatherWarrior
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland
Posts: 93
Well...as stated...it was a typo. It's legal. It may not be 'asking permission' but it far from being illegal. So I think you kinda jumped on me unfairly after I clarified that.

But rather than be all confrontational about it, let's at least work together instead of against each other. I'm not looking to cause issues. However, I'm not not a 'mother may I' kinda of person either. I understand the frustration of loosing places to take your Jeep. I also think it also is just a sign of the times. Just like driving cattle across the western states in the past, sometimes the masses win, and the age from which we were accustom goes away.

I will help in anyway I can to open parks, get what it is that you want/need. But please, don't assume I'm some lawless person who is the one causing the issues. I'm not. Jumping on someone before really getting to know them won't win you your battles. I can be a great asset (I fight for a lot of things, and have the talents to get things done) but don't take crap either.

What do you say?
__________________
http://www.weatherwarrior.net
http://www.twitter.com/weatherwarrior1
http://www.weatherwarrior.net/chaser/vehicle_2000Jeep.html
WeatherWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #24
Toms87
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarrior View Post
Well...as stated...it was a typo. It's legal. It may not be 'asking permission' but it far from being illegal. So I think you kinda jumped on me unfairly after I clarified that.

But rather than be all confrontational about it, let's at least work together instead of against each other. I'm not looking to cause issues. However, I'm not not a 'mother may I' kinda of person either. I understand the frustration of loosing places to take your Jeep. I also think it also is just a sign of the times. Just like driving cattle across the western states in the past, sometimes the masses win, and the age from which we were accustom goes away.

I will help in anyway I can to open parks, get what it is that you want/need. But please, don't assume I'm some lawless person who is the one causing the issues. I'm not. Jumping on someone before really getting to know them won't win you your battles. I can be a great asset (I fight for a lot of things, and have the talents to get things done) but don't take crap either.

What do you say?

Not asking permission is the definition of illegal wheeling.

This is not a philosophical manifest destiny argument.

Your personal traits have nothing to do with illegal wheeling.

What do you say?
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #25
WeatherWarrior
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland
Posts: 93
Well it's public property, so prior permission is NOT necessary. Just like you don't ask permission to drive on the road, go to a park and use a baseball field, jungle gym, etc. Not everything in life requires permission.
__________________
http://www.weatherwarrior.net
http://www.twitter.com/weatherwarrior1
http://www.weatherwarrior.net/chaser/vehicle_2000Jeep.html
WeatherWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #26
HUBDEEP
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Eastern Shore of Md
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarrior View Post
Well it's public property, so prior permission is NOT necessary. Just like you don't ask permission to drive on the road, go to a park and use a baseball field, jungle gym, etc. Not everything in life requires permission.
Actually, it is. But with your argument, you should be allowed to go four wheel in a city park or muddin' on a rainy baseball diamond. While it may be fun to max out your suspension on your town founder's monument (in a public park), I can't recommend doing it.

So for the sake of beating a dead horse, do not post in the general forum about four wheeling in off-limits areas, which are (but not solely) construction areas, open fields, telephone line trails, and generally a muddy two-track that is "just past the fork in the road to the right of the lightning struck tree whose branch faces due south."

Support the sport, visit an off-road park.

[/thread]
__________________
-Jason
'87 YJ- - D44's, 8" SOA , 5.38's, Locked f/r, 36" IROK's and a bottle opener...
clicky-->Maryland Wheeling spots
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #27
WeatherWarrior
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland
Posts: 93
You're twisting my words...I said nothing about destroying anything. I starting to understand perhaps why you are getting no where with getting Maryland some parks to use. You really just bash everyone, call them rednecks (from one of your own thread links in your signature) and are very fast to accuse people of things they haven't done and are very antagonistic. You and Tom have also jumped on me since I got on this forum for no reason. You still seem hung up on saying I'm doing something wrong. I am not, have not, nor suggested so.

I do support the sport.
I do not believe in controlling peoples rights
I do not believe in controlling peoples actions
I do not believe in telling people what to do
I do not not have a stakehold in the parks or profit from them (do you?)

The horse is not dead...very much alive until you acknowledge that I have done nothing wrong, then we can put this to bed!
__________________
http://www.weatherwarrior.net
http://www.twitter.com/weatherwarrior1
http://www.weatherwarrior.net/chaser/vehicle_2000Jeep.html
WeatherWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #28
Toms87
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarrior View Post
Your twisting my words...I said nothing about destroying anything. I starting to understand perhaps why you are getting no where with getting Maryland some parks to use. You really just bash everyone, call them rednecks (from one of your own thread links in your signature) and are very fast to accuse people of things they haven't done and are very antagonistic. You and Tom have also jumped on me since I got on this forum for no reason. You still seem hung up on saying I'm doing something wrong. I am not, have not, nor suggested so.

I do support the sport.
I do not believe in controlling peoples rights
I do not believe in controlling peoples actions
I do not believe in telling people what to do
I do not not have a stakehold in the parks or profit from them (do you?)

The horse is not dead...very much alive until you acknowledge that I have done nothing wrong, then we can put this to bed!
Wrong use of "your."

I haven't done any jumping. As a matter of fact, I typically browse the forum while sitting in a chair.

A "use at your own risk" place, especially around here, is guaranteed to be illegal. You promoted going there. That is wrong. No room to argue.

Nothing you've said indicates that you support the four wheeling sport.

It is not anyone's right to trespass.

Stakehold is not a word, but if you meant stake, then yes. Most of us like off road parks and don't want to see them get shut down because decision makers associate them with trespassers and lawbreakers. People don't need to get a check every week from a park to promote or defend them.

The horse is beyond dead, and you should probably go to bed.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #29
HUBDEEP
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Eastern Shore of Md
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarrior View Post
I starting to understand perhaps why you are getting no where with getting Maryland some parks to use.
Exactly. Because of people with your mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarrior
It's not 'legal', but it isn't private property! I've been there number of times and never been told to leave. Even had a park ranger pass by once. If you look on Google Earth/maps you can see the spot easily.
Quote:
You really just bash everyone.
You're right. Especially those I meet on the trails and in the Tread Lightly courses I teach.

Quote:
You and Tom have also jumped on me since I got on this forum for no reason.
Negative. You advocated illegal offroading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarrior
It's not 'legal', but it isn't private property! I've been there number of times and never been told to leave. Even had a park ranger pass by once. If you look on Google Earth/maps you can see the spot easily.
__________________
-Jason
'87 YJ- - D44's, 8" SOA , 5.38's, Locked f/r, 36" IROK's and a bottle opener...
clicky-->Maryland Wheeling spots
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #30
WeatherWarrior
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBDEEP View Post
For the millionth time....I typed it wrong (just like I just typed "your" above) Stop using a deleted and misspelled quote!!!!

But I guess I should expect such from someone who clearly is profiting from class, has a vested interest in denying right of others.

What I reposted, and the site I described, prove to me it's illegal!
__________________
http://www.weatherwarrior.net
http://www.twitter.com/weatherwarrior1
http://www.weatherwarrior.net/chaser/vehicle_2000Jeep.html
WeatherWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.