Off Roading in Montgomery or Howard County MARYLAND - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Off Roading in Montgomery or Howard County MARYLAND

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 05-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
USABornAndBred
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Off Roading in Montgomery or Howard County MARYLAND

Hey ya'll I just bought an 04 Red Wrangler this weekend and I just joined the Jeep Forum b/c I know a few people on it. But I wanna find a place in MD in Montgomery County or Howard County (or somewhere near) that I can go offroading at. Thanks!

USABornAndBred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing in MD anymore. Best bet is Rausch Creek in PA or GWNF (George Washington National Forest) in Virginia.

What part of rockville you in? That's where I live, right on the border of rockville/olney, off muncaster mill rd.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
USABornAndBred
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I live about 5 mins from rockville towncenter. One of my buddies has a historic lifted chevy silverado and he says there's a good place to go off roading in germantown, md heading towards poolsville I believe.
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

How bout, no place legal left in Maryland, Unless you know and have written permission from the land owner.
Veeb0rg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Yea Green Ridge was pretty much the last place in MD to go in terms of something like that.

I'm up in Montgomery Village too btw.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
USABornAndBred
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's ashame. I guess I'm going to have to travel a bit then. I'm not entirely sure where Old Baltimore Road is, but evidently passed Black Hills Park theres supposed to be a good spot. I'm not sure if its entirely legal, but I think im going to check it out this weekend.
It's nice having some people in my area though. I'm up in Montgomery Village a lot.
Unread 06-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USABornAndBred View Post
I'm not sure if its entirely legal, but I think im going to check it out this weekend.
Might want to a) check it out before you go, or b) not post up you're going. Just an fyi . . .
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Quote:
That's ashame. I guess I'm going to have to travel a bit then. I'm not entirely sure where Old Baltimore Road is, but evidently passed Black Hills Park theres supposed to be a good spot. I'm not sure if its entirely legal, but I think im going to check it out this weekend.
It's nice having some people in my area though. I'm up in Montgomery Village a lot.
Cool deal. I'm living here for the Summer and might be back in Jan/moving out for good next Summer.

I'm also looking for a Rubicon haha.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
acres145
2006 TJ Wrangler 

West Old Baltimore is blocked off by boulders. It used to be pretty good, but now its completely blocked for no reason. I'm in Germantown and am wondering about anywhere near here to go. Theres some trails up by Mt Airy, but theyre not that great.
acres145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acres145 View Post
West Old Baltimore is blocked off by boulders. It used to be pretty good, but now its completely blocked for no reason. I'm in Germantown and am wondering about anywhere near here to go. Theres some trails up by Mt Airy, but theyre not that great.
There isn't really anything that i'd call legal since Green Ridge got shut down. You're gonna have to travel now for anything.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
GnarlyCharlie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
West Old Baltimore used to be fun, but like people have said, it's totally blocked off by boulders now. No idea why they even care so much, no one ever hurt anything or anyone. Lots of fun deep mud and a few steep hill climbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acres145 View Post
I quoted you before I even realized it was you haha. Mt Airy trails are cool by the rail road tracks but then they're boring after that.
GnarlyCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #12
WeatherWarrior
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I guess you must have driving well passed the simple ford on Old Balt.Rd. The boulders at the crossing I thought had been there for years. I seem to remember them being there a long time (I crossed that spot often on my way to either White's Ferry ro up Rt. 28.

traveling westbound the land to the left of the road (south side) is part of the Black Hills Park. To the right is private property. Because this stream feeds into the larger lake and there is a lot of ecological restoration and studying going on there, I would not be surprised if they saw something (extra silt or something) and closed it. Or someone got stuck, had to get fished out, someone got word and closed it due to liability. I certainly wish there was more options too, however...aside from just the pure joy, if you find yourself with a Jeep and little to no use worthy of retaining it. I know that kinda comes off sarcastic, but I don't mean it to be. Just means it might be time to evaluate things.
WeatherWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #13
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

I'm right on the border of Rockville and Olney, and the only places we go offroad around here are on friend's farms/extra land. Haven't found any other legal places to go.
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarrior View Post

It's not 'legal', but it isn't private property! I've been there number of times and never been told to leave. Even had a park ranger pass by once. If you look on Google Earth/maps you can see the spot easily.
What is wrong with you? You actually said, and I quote, "It's not legal."

It is people like you that get areas shut down, (like all of western Maryland).

You do what you do. But do not post up that you are going there AND it is not legal.
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcowjuice View Post
I'm right on the border of Rockville and Olney, and the only places we go offroad around here are on friend's farms/extra land. Haven't found any other legal places to go.
Aren't you Alex's brother? I see your Jeep at MC all the time It's a nice rig man.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.