Ocean City Jeep Week 2011 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Ocean City Jeep Week 2011

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 06-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #16
paroxysym
2007 WK 

a doorless xj will cause a cop to pull you over..

Unread 06-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
Sack

I did some research on this last year and actually had a talk with the OC Police Chief.

I was told that as long as folks were within the Maryland Laws, there would be no issues.

Kind of the remark that you would expect from the Chief but the laws she referred me to were articles 23-104 and 22-104 of the Maryland Vehicle Laws.

I have a copy of them and it basically says that the vehicle must have all safety equipment on it that it was manufactured with. (mirrors, door handles etc.)

Yes....I agree...wth? Anyway I guess you could Google the Maryland state traffic laws and review it for yourself.

Sorry...I cant do more about it.

Hope you still make the trip. Thanks for your support!

Sack
www.oceancityjeepweek.com
Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #18
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Sorry, but they were right. Doors are not meant to be taken off an XJ. If you want to be cool and ride doorless get a Wrangler.
It's normal to have a Wrangler without doors. It's cool to have an XJ without doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
a doorless xj will cause a cop to pull you over..
Like I said, the state trooper who originally pulled me over, who gave me legit repair orders for the lift and tires and brake light, did not mention one word about all 4 doors being missing. He politely reminded me to buckle up (I unbuckeled to get to my wallet) and said have a nice day. Pretty sure he should be the letter of the law when it comes to vehicle codes.

Oh, and I guess all those other OC cops I passed were just being extremely lazy. And the VA state troopers, MD state troopers, and countless county sheriffs and city police I've driven around in the last 3 years.

Nope, I'm gonna go with the explanation that the OC cop was just a huge prick looking to give out tickets and make the city money.

I'd love to know why you guys think I would need 'working door handles' when there are no doors to open. That's like ticketing a guy on a motorcycle for not having crash bars and crumple zones.
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #19
paroxysym
2007 WK 

wheres everyone staying down there?
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #20
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
wheres everyone staying down there?
I'm staying at my house.

But the commander hotel is the main "hotel" sponsor of the week. They teamed up last year to help put on the show. They are doing the same this year. So they are interested in filling some rooms there. I think there is a discount if you mention you are doing Jeep Week.
VamosJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #21
CmmdrDan

ESJA Club Land Photos
So this past weekend I headed out to the club land with a Member. Jager00 his JF name. Had a blast. Just thought I would share these for some of the people who are attending but havent been out to the land. It was a blast.
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #22
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
ESJA Club Land Photos
So this past weekend I headed out to the club land with a Member. Jager00 his JF name. Had a blast. Just thought I would share these for some of the people who are attending but havent been out to the land. It was a blast.
Glad you and the other guys had fun. Chris was telling me all about it at our meeting.
VamosJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #23
CmmdrDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VamosJEEP View Post
Glad you and the other guys had fun. Chris was telling me all about it at our meeting.
You sure did set yourself up a nice little piece of land. Im looking to hit it up again sometime before the Jeep Week. Ill have bigger tires on this weekend so hopefully I wont get stuck in the one hole.
Unread 06-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #24
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Not to ruin the fun for anyone, but hope you guys have better luck with the cops than I did.

Took the Jeep down for OC for Hot Rod weekend. If you aren't familiar with this, guys from all over the mid-atlantic bring their hot rods, muscle cars, modern sports cars, dragsters and everything and just cruise up and down the main highway. I'm talking cars with blowers sticking out of the hood, slicks and skinnies, parachutes on the back, crazy roll cages, you name it. Consequently there are also lots of people with other sorts of custom vehicles like lifted trucks etc.

So I go down there every year with my Cobra club buddies, but took the Jeep this year since I sold the Cobra. Took all 4 doors off the XJ to cruise up and down the strip and check out the cars. Bystanders loved it, people pointing and staring all over. Anywho, within about 30 minutes of being in the city, I got pulled over by a state trooper. Repair orders for my 3rd brake light out, 'altered suspension' and tires sticking out too far beyond the fenders. Wow, awesome. I have a friend who can sign off on this stuff, so I wasn't too worried, just figured if I got pulled again, I'd just show em the tickets I already got.

Wrong. About 3 hours later, I was cruising north down by the inlet, maybe 20th street. Going like 20 mph, not doing anything dangerous, just enjoying the weather and cars around me. Flashing lights. This time it was an OC cop and he was a HUGE dick. Gave me **** about having the doors off of a Jeep that MUST have doors. Said I removed safety equipment and made the vehicle unsafe. When I asked about wranglers, he said they were fine (of course, cops have no clue). I had my side mirror, so technically it's legal. Another cop pulls up. Another ****** cop. He comes up and starts asking me dumb questions about the Jeep and the stickers I have on it. Pulls out a tape measure and starts measuring stuff. Sat there for about 30 minutes while these two toolbags talked and analyzed my Jeep.

So all in all, I got 5 fines for $70 each. Obviously, they were just collecting revenue for the city and didn't really care about the safety of the vehicle because they weren't repair orders. Didn't even mention my taillight being out. Infractions were for "license plates not visible" (rear plate slightly obstructed by spare, front bent under bumper), "front bumper too high", "removing safety equipment without permission", "operating an unsafe vehicle" (said the body side of the hinge that stuck out was dangerous), and "operating vehicle without minimum equipment" (doors). I've driven the jeep in this exact state (other than the doors) for years and never had a single problem with cops. All over PA, VA, MD, NC, DE, etc. I've driven with the doors off on multiple occasions and been sitting next to cops without a second glance. Passed numerous other cops in OC without problems. This guy decided he just wanted to completely ruin my weekend on Thursday, my first day there. Then he tells me to take it to my place and park it, and if he sees me again, he's towing the Jeep.

**** Ocean City police, at least these two dudes. In a weekend where guys are driving drunk, doing burnouts, and racing all over the city, I get pulled over for having a lifted Jeep. Meanwhile, there are F350's sky high with 15 people in the bed doing burnouts on the main highway. BS. I'll be going to court for this crap.
a word of advice for the OC tickets, ask for a extension for the court date, if you get it after the summer season comes and goes, the officer was 95% a summer hire and OC will not pay for them to come back and testify and all that so its easy to get out of them

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #25
seagrave
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That stinks. I have not had doors on my Jeep for 3 weeks now. Thanks for the info
seagrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #26
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Delmarva Offroad will be in attendance for the weekend!
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #27
CmmdrDan

Jager and Myself are trying to get some of the WK/XK guys from the carolinas to come up. We are trying to have a good show of our Pretty Boy Jeeps/Grocery Getters.
Unread 07-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #28
CmmdrDan

Im more excited for Jeep Week then I am for hanging out with my friends this weekend.
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #29
mmscheeler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
Im more excited for Jeep Week then I am for hanging out with my friends this weekend.
Same here. Found out about it too late last year!
mmscheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #30
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im thinkin about goin myself. I'm guessing the hotels are going to be booked solid though.
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.