Ocean City Jeep Week 2011 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Ocean City Jeep Week 2011

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ocean City Jeep Week 2011

It's a go for 2011

Dates are August 25th - 28th 2011

For discussion in regards to this years OCJW check out the dedicated OCJW forum section!!

http://www.easternshorejeep.com/phpforums/viewforum.php?f=48

Hope to see you guys there!

The website is also up for 2011. Still needs to be updated once things get locked in.

www.oceancityjeepweek.com

VamosJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

We had a meeting yesterday down at Pocomoke Fair grounds. Needless to say this should be a BIG year.

Details you ask... well lets keep it a secret for now.
Unread 04-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Lackey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ill be there i hope to be lifted by them we will see
Lackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

We just locked in the plans for Saturday!!!

Car crush, obstacle course open with rocks, tire garden, hills, and mud, slow crawl comp, rti comp, and Kill the cone!!! We will also be awarding trophies from Friday's show at the beginning of the day!!

The event is going to be at Pocomoke City Fairgrounds from 12-5. Open course from 12-2 then 2-3 kill the cone then 3-5 open course.

Food vendor will be cooking up food for sale. We may have some jeep part vendors on site as well.

Should be a great time!
Unread 05-22-2011, 05:01 AM   #5
AlanZ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Can PA people attend?
AlanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
Can PA people attend?
haha. Of course.

Before they changed the layout I had it in the "north east" section.
Unread 06-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not to ruin the fun for anyone, but hope you guys have better luck with the cops than I did.

Took the Jeep down for OC for Hot Rod weekend. If you aren't familiar with this, guys from all over the mid-atlantic bring their hot rods, muscle cars, modern sports cars, dragsters and everything and just cruise up and down the main highway. I'm talking cars with blowers sticking out of the hood, slicks and skinnies, parachutes on the back, crazy roll cages, you name it. Consequently there are also lots of people with other sorts of custom vehicles like lifted trucks etc.

So I go down there every year with my Cobra club buddies, but took the Jeep this year since I sold the Cobra. Took all 4 doors off the XJ to cruise up and down the strip and check out the cars. Bystanders loved it, people pointing and staring all over. Anywho, within about 30 minutes of being in the city, I got pulled over by a state trooper. Repair orders for my 3rd brake light out, 'altered suspension' and tires sticking out too far beyond the fenders. Wow, awesome. I have a friend who can sign off on this stuff, so I wasn't too worried, just figured if I got pulled again, I'd just show em the tickets I already got.

Wrong. About 3 hours later, I was cruising north down by the inlet, maybe 20th street. Going like 20 mph, not doing anything dangerous, just enjoying the weather and cars around me. Flashing lights. This time it was an OC cop and he was a HUGE dick. Gave me **** about having the doors off of a Jeep that MUST have doors. Said I removed safety equipment and made the vehicle unsafe. When I asked about wranglers, he said they were fine (of course, cops have no clue). I had my side mirror, so technically it's legal. Another cop pulls up. Another ****** cop. He comes up and starts asking me dumb questions about the Jeep and the stickers I have on it. Pulls out a tape measure and starts measuring stuff. Sat there for about 30 minutes while these two toolbags talked and analyzed my Jeep.

So all in all, I got 5 fines for $70 each. Obviously, they were just collecting revenue for the city and didn't really care about the safety of the vehicle because they weren't repair orders. Didn't even mention my taillight being out. Infractions were for "license plates not visible" (rear plate slightly obstructed by spare, front bent under bumper), "front bumper too high", "removing safety equipment without permission", "operating an unsafe vehicle" (said the body side of the hinge that stuck out was dangerous), and "operating vehicle without minimum equipment" (doors). I've driven the jeep in this exact state (other than the doors) for years and never had a single problem with cops. All over PA, VA, MD, NC, DE, etc. I've driven with the doors off on multiple occasions and been sitting next to cops without a second glance. Passed numerous other cops in OC without problems. This guy decided he just wanted to completely ruin my weekend on Thursday, my first day there. Then he tells me to take it to my place and park it, and if he sees me again, he's towing the Jeep.

**** Ocean City police, at least these two dudes. In a weekend where guys are driving drunk, doing burnouts, and racing all over the city, I get pulled over for having a lifted Jeep. Meanwhile, there are F350's sky high with 15 people in the bed doing burnouts on the main highway. BS. I'll be going to court for this crap.
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

And in keeping with the theme of the above post:

Have fun in OC. I'll be keeping my Jeep, AND my tourist dollars (which would have been far more than the 350 in tickets the above guy got) with me, elsewhere.

Please be sure to let the OC department of Tourism know their cops are once again costing them money... and not improving public safety one bit.

Have a nice day.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wow sorry about your luck. Sounds like you had a power happy rental cop wanting to flex his power.

I was there the same weekend with my doorless ZJ and not a peep out of any officer. You got unlucky. I am down in OC regularly with my doorless ZJ and I have not gotten a ticket or even a second look with my ZJ. Mind you I don't have front, or rear bumpers and doorless.

As far as the concern for doorless jeeps in OC...

We had this same concern come up last year. We had people tell stories of getting pulled over for doorless stuff, mirrors, bumpers, ect. before the event and some people got intimidated, But fact of the matter is that Ocean City Jeep Week 2010 didn't have 1 ticket issued in regards to doorless, mirrors, bumpers, ect. It doesn't mean jeeps get a free pass for Jeep week to do what they want. But the local PD does understand that it is a jeep weekend and people will have jeeps with doors off.

We have connections in the PD and we talked to them last year about the same stuff. So as far as being concerned in regards to the PD I would say not to worry about that sorta stuff. The only thing I would be "worried" about is if you remembered to bring your sun tan lotion.

Whoever decides not to come for whatever reason I have one thing to say... You will miss out on the fastest growing, most exiting, jeep week on the east coast!!! And you will probably miss out on the Parade of jeeps on the BEACH!!!! But its your loss.
Unread 06-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've been pulled over as well and received a ticket for no doors, again last summer. Packing the soft half doors from now on.
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #11
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBDEEP View Post
I've been pulled over as well and received a ticket for no doors, again last summer. Packing the soft half doors from now on.
Its not a bad idea... Just in case.

You thinking about coming out Jason? You want to join us for the Friday morning parade... I can probably get you in it, I do have some pull. haha
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hahahaha . . .Sounds good.

I just need to see if we have a tournament that weekend.

Thanks!
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
paroxysym
2007 WK 

looking forward to this.. plan on getting down there friday and staying through the weekend. hope the turn outs good
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
blackouttj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet I'm so stoked for this. And I'll be freshly lifted ands armored by then
blackouttj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Not to ruin the fun for anyone, but hope you guys have better luck with the cops than I did.

Took the Jeep down for OC for Hot Rod weekend. If you aren't familiar with this, guys from all over the mid-atlantic bring their hot rods, muscle cars, modern sports cars, dragsters and everything and just cruise up and down the main highway. I'm talking cars with blowers sticking out of the hood, slicks and skinnies, parachutes on the back, crazy roll cages, you name it. Consequently there are also lots of people with other sorts of custom vehicles like lifted trucks etc.

So I go down there every year with my Cobra club buddies, but took the Jeep this year since I sold the Cobra. Took all 4 doors off the XJ to cruise up and down the strip and check out the cars. Bystanders loved it, people pointing and staring all over. Anywho, within about 30 minutes of being in the city, I got pulled over by a state trooper. Repair orders for my 3rd brake light out, 'altered suspension' and tires sticking out too far beyond the fenders. Wow, awesome. I have a friend who can sign off on this stuff, so I wasn't too worried, just figured if I got pulled again, I'd just show em the tickets I already got.

Wrong. About 3 hours later, I was cruising north down by the inlet, maybe 20th street. Going like 20 mph, not doing anything dangerous, just enjoying the weather and cars around me. Flashing lights. This time it was an OC cop and he was a HUGE dick. Gave me **** about having the doors off of a Jeep that MUST have doors. Said I removed safety equipment and made the vehicle unsafe. When I asked about wranglers, he said they were fine (of course, cops have no clue). I had my side mirror, so technically it's legal. Another cop pulls up. Another ****** cop. He comes up and starts asking me dumb questions about the Jeep and the stickers I have on it. Pulls out a tape measure and starts measuring stuff. Sat there for about 30 minutes while these two toolbags talked and analyzed my Jeep.

So all in all, I got 5 fines for $70 each. Obviously, they were just collecting revenue for the city and didn't really care about the safety of the vehicle because they weren't repair orders. Didn't even mention my taillight being out. Infractions were for "license plates not visible" (rear plate slightly obstructed by spare, front bent under bumper), "front bumper too high", "removing safety equipment without permission", "operating an unsafe vehicle" (said the body side of the hinge that stuck out was dangerous), and "operating vehicle without minimum equipment" (doors). I've driven the jeep in this exact state (other than the doors) for years and never had a single problem with cops. All over PA, VA, MD, NC, DE, etc. I've driven with the doors off on multiple occasions and been sitting next to cops without a second glance. Passed numerous other cops in OC without problems. This guy decided he just wanted to completely ruin my weekend on Thursday, my first day there. Then he tells me to take it to my place and park it, and if he sees me again, he's towing the Jeep.

**** Ocean City police, at least these two dudes. In a weekend where guys are driving drunk, doing burnouts, and racing all over the city, I get pulled over for having a lifted Jeep. Meanwhile, there are F350's sky high with 15 people in the bed doing burnouts on the main highway. BS. I'll be going to court for this crap.
Sorry, but they were right. Doors are not meant to be taken off an XJ. If you want to be cool and ride doorless get a Wrangler.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.