Need help to pass MD safety inspection - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-25-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Bryon01

Need help to pass MD safety inspection

Just moved my TJ Rubicon from CA, nearly every section of the state inspection has something that has failed. I was really hoping to get some help from someone local to pass.

My wheels failed, as they are 35's. Apparently that is reason enough.
My fenders failed, especially given that I am on 35's
My odometer failed, as I never reprogrammed the computer for 35's, and don't want to now as I am putting in 5.13's as soon as I can get my vehicle registered.

I believe all of these could be remedied or helped if someone would let me rent a set of 31" tires (stock rubicons or aftermarkets) for a day.

I also failed for having tint on my windows. I don't think it is darker than 35%, however they didn't write what it was just that I fail for having it on my doors.

If someone had half height doors, I have clear soft top windows (if even needed) or is someone would let me rent a no-tint set of doors for a day. I'm assuming I can't just remove the doors and go try and pass like that.

My jeep is in Odenton, MD, and I would greatly appreciate any help. Whomever is willing to rent me these parts I will be happy to leave you my wheels/doors as collateral until I return.

If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Please reply or PM me if willing.

Thanks,
Bryon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-25-2016, 02:32 PM
kennycrybaby
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Bryon, welcome to Maryland, where every rule is a headache. Can't help you with the wheels but I've heard how stringent shops are on wheel size and suspension modifications depends on the shop. Before you go swapping wheels, I would just take it to another inspection place. Maybe call Adam's Jeep and see if they can do it or have a place they recommend, or maybe someone else will chime in.

If you go the swapping route, I have a pair of soft doors with no tint you can borrow. Probably easier to take the whole things than the lowers as I think they might be pretty stuck. I'd let you use my hard ones, but my Jeep got run into 3 weeks ago and it is just about to go into the shop for surgery where I won't have access to it today or tomorrow. Email me if you need, I'm in Greenbelt which is like a half an hour away. kennysavercool@gmail.com
post #3 of 13 Old 03-07-2016, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Bryon01

Thanks Kenny!

I stripped the tint off the windows and did a number of other things (including labeling my gear selector, as if modern autos have had any different shift pattern beyond PRND..., but in the end, MD won and I just reregistered my car in CA. So sad that CA is considered easier....

That runs out again soon so I will definitely call around to see if somewhere else would be a bit more jeep friendly but it is a process that needs to start way ahead of expiration.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-14-2016, 11:48 AM
kennycrybaby
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just got a new Jeep from Georgia, so I have to get it inspected and it is already lifted and what not. When I find a suitable place, i will pass along the info to make it easier on you.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-16-2016, 09:30 AM
speedisavirus
2015 JK Wrangler 

It's why I have vehicles I just keep registering in Delaware. Not because their inspections are easier or anything like that. It's because they are less retarded and have a decent system in place.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-06-2016, 10:39 AM
kennycrybaby
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm already having a nightmare. Someone from a different forum lent me some wheels/tires since mine are too big and stick out too far. Hopefully that's all I'll have to change but I am not optimistic.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-09-2016, 04:17 AM
Joeyicu

1998 ZJ 

I am super close. I was going to say my zj 31s would work also. They fail for anything on the windows at all, thats a MD thing. The tires should only fail if they stick out past the fender flares.

{2005 WK Hemi }(1998 ZJ 5.2 - 3.5 IRO 31s) [1984 F250 6.9]
post #8 of 13 Old 04-10-2016, 10:33 AM
kennycrybaby
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So the spot I went to was insane. Claimed my suspension was so messed up that my Jeep "floats" all over the road and was unsafe to drive on the road test. Told me my fog lights didn't work among other things. Never even got to the tires, because they said they couldn't lift it without parts moving that weren't supposed to shift. Nothing they said made any sense. Gave it back to me without inspecting it saying I need to have it fixed before he can even look at it.

Called my lift guy in Burtonsville kind of freaking out to schedule and emergency inspection. He says I can get it in on Monday.

So anyway, I take it back, and check my fog lights.... They work fine. He didn't know how to turn them on. Pretty big red flag there considering they aren't on a relay or anything. It's the stock fog lights. And this is a freaking mechanic that runs an inspection station.

I decide to bring it somewhere else. I explain that I know the tires are too big but I have stock ones in the cab, and if they can throw those on before the inspection I'd be much obliged. Guy just laughs and says he's not even going to worry about. 45 minutes later my inspection is done, everything passed with flying colors and the mechanic tells me to have fun off roading.

I'm 29. I lived in Brazil for a year, and Alexandria for a year, the rest has been in Maryland. PG County or Baltimore. Living here and dealing with the ruleus on everything is getting insane. Glad I found someone cool to do the inspection and thankfully I have MD tags on my Jeep now and can return my dealer tags FINALLY.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-10-2016, 10:36 AM
kennycrybaby
2006 TJ Wrangler 

By the way I should mention that was the second time I tried to have my Jeep inspected at the first place. The first time they just looked at it and said your tires are too big and stick our too far so we won't even waste our time inspecting it. I had borrowed a spare set off the forum to correct that at the time of the last post. So glad this hassle is over.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-10-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Bryon01

Kenny,

can you post who you went too that passed it. My CA tag expires again in May, so I am going to try again in MD.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-11-2016, 08:58 AM
kennycrybaby
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon01 View Post
Kenny,

can you post who you went too that passed it. My CA tag expires again in May, so I am going to try again in MD.
Check your PM's.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Joeyicu

1998 ZJ 

You have to remember anyone can start to work on cars/trucks work your way up and become a high level tech. I have been in the business in some way shape or form for the better part of 13 years and I can tell you in my travels I have met some high class idiots. More so on the aftermarket (not oem dealer) side of the business. These are the guys doing the MSI's, they take the weekend course pass, and then make the MSI there own rather then actually going off the book. I can tell you tires sticking out any amount away from the body should be a fail, so that does make sense. The one shop saying all that craziness about how they couldn't even pick the truck up, that is just ignorant stupidity.

{2005 WK Hemi }(1998 ZJ 5.2 - 3.5 IRO 31s) [1984 F250 6.9]
post #13 of 13 Old 04-14-2016, 10:39 AM
speedisavirus
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyicu View Post
I can tell you tires sticking out any amount away from the body should be a fail, so that does make sense.
And I wish people in the god damn jeep community would stop thinking it's so cool to run either without fenders or with tires far extending them. There are people behind them on the road. They don't want rocks launched into their cars or if they ride a motorcycle like myself possibly facing severe pain and bruising if not worse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.