Maryland specific questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Maryland specific questions

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
eltristo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Maryland specific questions

As you may have seen in the other thread, I just moved to MD and am buying a YJ this weekend. I have been doing a lot of research on this, but I still have some questions about the reg/safety process.

As far as I can tell, I am going to have to:
-Go get cash and pay for the Jeep
-Take the title to the DMV, or whatever you call it here. As I'm buying on Saturday, I assume this means Monday.
-Get temp tags, go get the Jeep, then take it to get safety/emmissions
-Take all associated paperwork to DMV again for permanent tags/stickers/whatever.

Is there a shortcut that doesn't have me waiting until sometime next week to be able to get the Jeep? Also, it is on a 3" lift. Included are 35x12.5 tires, but it is currently rolling on 31s. It is NOT exempt. How much of a problem will this cause?

Thanks folks.

eltristo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What year yj?
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
eltristo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubdeep View Post
what year yj?
Unread 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well, you cannot get historic tags, nor hot rod tags. So you're stuck with a full blown Maryland Inspection. Chances are, it will not pass with the lift installed. Before you even go, measure the bumper height from a level surface to the mounts for the bumper itself. If the measurement is greater than 28"s, you may have a very difficult time getting the jeep to pass Md inspection.

I'm sorry, but best of luck.
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
eltristo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. Is bumper height the main issue? With the stock wheels/tires I'm pretty sure we'll make 28. pretty sure. Find out tomorrow!
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just went out and measured mine. 29" ground to top of front bumper, 26" ground to top of rear bumper. I'm pretty sure they measure the bottom of the bumper though. Check the specs in my profile, sounds similar to yours but with a couple more inches of lift. The rear is so low because I have spring under with an 8.8 (bigger tubes) and a ton of heavy stuff in the back. You should be fine on stock tires.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
eltristo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bumper height wasn't a problem. Nor was the 45 degrees to the center of the hub thing. Everything else was. Now I'm confused. Apparently the fenders (at the side) have to be in line with the center of the wheels. Well, that's not possible. It has a total of 4" lift. The bottom of the fenders is 10" above wheel centerline. Something doesn't make sense here.

Oh, and I can fail for a rust hole in the tailgate? The tailgate? I am effed with a giant dee.
Unread 11-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
WeatherWarrior
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to MD....the "mother may I" state where all decisions you make must be approved by the state and local governments (after an environmental study and a public hearing).

I am getting ready to go through myself, but not worried too much about the fender bit. If anything...mud flaps. I suspect it has everything to do with mud/stone/rain slinging/spray. I've got other issues like fixing the susp. (missing shock), crack windshield, elec window switch, etc.

I find the best strategy is to show up with everything perfect safety wise (lights, windows, brakes, tint, etc.) and if they are pretty cool, they'll glance over a few minor issues. Also, don't pick a station fishing for business. If you are worried about ride height, bumpers, etc. only go to a shop that does basic mechanical work. But it is always chancy here in Maryland. Such a horrid state. The one time I miss Florida (no emissions, no inspections...you can put a rolling chassis on the road with valid tags).
WeatherWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
eltristo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There were no real safety issues, but there are a few little things like a worn brake pedal pad and stretched passenger seat belt. The things that got to me were the bit about the fenders and the rust in the tailgate. I went in expecting they'd find a few things I didn't know about, but that was silly.

So, can I just start over somewhere else, or is that in the system that I have started? I'd be happy to fix the things that actually need fixing and find somebody that understands that the vehicle didn't meet the fender height and bumper width requirements from the factory.
Unread 11-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

I don't know what to tell you about the fender/bumper issues, but the rust hole is always going to get you. You can't have any rust through in maryland.
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
eltristo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sweet jebus on a low fat saltine, I've passed my inspection. It took some new rotors, hub assembly, fuel line, and a caliper, but it's done (for now).

Time for new tires. Any recommended places in the Odenton/Annapolis/Pasadena area?
Unread 11-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltristo View Post

Time for new tires. Any recommended places in the Odenton/Annapolis/Pasadena area?
Yeah, the internet. It has always been cheaper for me to buy a new set of 15x8 steel wheels with every set of tires and have them mounted, balanced, and shipped versus buying tires at a place around here. I understand they need to make some money but the markup is ridiculous.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
eltristo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wow, that's unpleasant. I'll get a few local quotes tomorrow and see what happens.
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
WeatherWarrior
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltristo View Post
Probably too late now....but Costco. Best deal on BF Goodwich's I've seen shopping extensively!
WeatherWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
eltristo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarrior View Post
Probably too late now....but Costco. Best deal on BF Goodwich's I've seen shopping extensively!
Not too late at all. I mean, I already bought new tires, but I got them at Costco and the price was as better than the internet. Sadly, I went for 31s, and now I am filled with 33 envy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.