Maryland OHV Trails meeting/ comments - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Maryland OHV Trails meeting/ comments

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #106
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks again for keeping us updated on this.

What do you mean when you say that area A is on the fast track, and where is it located?

Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #107
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the update man. We knew this would be a slow process from the get go...at least there seems to be some progress
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #108
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
Thanks again for keeping us updated on this.

What do you mean when you say that area A is on the fast track, and where is it located?
Looks like it may be the first are to open. Motorcycles and atv's at first.

It is located around Sharpsburg.
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #109
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Emailed this morning:

"Recreational Trail Sponsors:

Each year Maryland is apportioned National Recreational Trails Program funds through the Federal Surface Transportation Equity Act for disbursement to qualifying projects. These funds, administered by the Maryland State Highway Administration, have made it possible for communities across the State to develop, improve and maintain trails in order to provide access to Marylandís awesome natural and recreational resources.

We are always looking for eligible projects, and invite you to consider applying for National Recreational Trails Program funds for your recreational trail projects. To learn more about eligible project types and program criteria, as well as accessing a digital application, visit the following website: http://roads.maryland.gov/Index.aspx?PageId=98

Also, please be advised that this is an 80/20 percent reimbursement program, and not a grant program. Awarded funds will be used to reimburse sponsors for 80 percent of the expenditures incurred; invoicing is done on a monthly basis once construction or purchase of materials/equipment is started. The funds are limited and therefore awarded to the most qualified projects in an amount cannot exceed $40,000 for trail construction and $30,000 for non-construction. Please note, for the FY13 solicitation, we will consider lifting the $40K cap for construction projects that score exceedingly high with our criteria. If you think you have such a project, please contact me to discuss.

Eligible projects include:

∑ Maintenance and restoration of existing trails;

∑ Development and rehabilitation of trailside and trailhead facilities and trail linkages for recreation and transportation oriented trails

∑ Purchase and lease of recreational trail construction and maintenance equipment;

∑ Construction of new recreational trials;

∑ Acquisition of easement and fee simple title to property for recreational trail purposes;

∑ Implementation of interpretive/educational programs to promote intrinsic qualities, alternative transportation, safety, and environmental protection, as those objectives relate to the use of recreational trails.

Applications for this yearís funds are being accepted until July 2, 2012 . Please submit to:

Recreational Trails Program

Office of Environmental Design

State Highway Administration

707 North Calvert Street

Baltimore, MD 21202

Awards will be made subject to Maryland's receipt of its fiscal year 2013 Federal Fund allocation for the program. Thank you for your interest in the National Recreational Trails Program. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Please visit the following websites as a reference for critical information related to trail development in MD as you complete your FY12 RTP application:

http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/Planning/Trails/Index.html

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/land/MD_T...ails_in_MD.asp

http://mesgis.com/mdtrails/index.html
"
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #110
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

September update:

The meeting was pretty upbeat. Terry Maxwell did a presentation on the RTP. It was informative for most.

Kyle from Rausch could not make it, so there was a quick presentation on Rausch Creek. Some of the motorcycle guys got it mixed up with the ATV Rausch Creek and thought they got it started. Actually, it was Middle Atlantic members got it started. Never the less, the four wheel drive Rausch Creek has been tremendously successful. Now, it is expanding. They re-invest money made into the property. It is a non-profit. They are promoting the old fashion "trail ride" that included camping, social aspect, and the old follow the leader form of trail riding. They are going to install a full hook up campground and a full(self) service garage, with air and tools. They support our efforts and the efforts of organized four wheel drive to maintain and regain access on public lands. Rausch Creek's success is also from making friends with the local merchants. In short, it is a great model.
Hancock, Maryland is still on the plate as a viable option, though there is a new land manager there. They are still quite interested. The cliff is still the only real hold back. Everyone agreed, it is a small hurtle. This has a real good chance to happen and can handle most all of us.
Antietam is likely to be in full operation by Jan.1. But, it is really narrow in scope as to what groups will be using it. Still, it is a good pilot. They have been awarded $30,000.00 through the RTP. Still, it must be understood, they get that money when they turn in the necessary receipts. In otherwords, one must front the funds. The snow mobile folks were wondering about if they get financing. That makes no difference. Once the receipts are turned in, they will be re-imbursed.
St. John's Rock in it's original proposal form has bunch of challenges including an endangered beetle. It is still on the plate and still has possibilities.
Steve Carr from the DNR has been getting in contact with different mining companies and there are some small properties that may happen. He will be contacting the larger companies in Garrett County in the future. That holds some real promise.
Lupa Tana is still a mess. So, little discussion was there. Still, it holds hope. Awesome site. Plug and play.
The DNR is actually looking at the Sidling Hill WLMA. Honest, that would be breaking some un-heard of ground if something happens there. Given how close it is to Hancock, that makes it a viable deal.
Wills Mountain hold real hope, but, access is a major issue and Lovers Leap would have to be dealt with. It may happen, but a lot of issues have to be worked out. Nice site, never the less.
The land managers all agreed, they need to go out with each of our groups, as they realize they do not understand us and now realize how different each of our needs are.
I feel was one of our better meetings. A few were not there. Given the times, understandable.My advice, everyone has to hang in there. This will only happen if we stick to our guns.

Unread 09-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #111
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks again for keeping this updated. What's up with the Hancock cliff? What would be an acceptable solution?
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #112
Mikefrost
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the updates, I'll def be checking back here often
Mikefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #113
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the update Jason. Outlook sounds good!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #114
ilevine
2011 JK Wrangler 

legore bridge

whats up guys, havent been on in months; went to legore bridge out past frederick this weekend to do some mud pits and trails, heading back this saturday withOUT my swaybar and hopefully an adjustable trackbar

seeing if anyone is interested in coming along, the more the merrier
ilevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #115
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilevine View Post
whats up guys, havent been on in months; went to legore bridge out past frederick this weekend to do some mud pits and trails, heading back this saturday withOUT my swaybar and hopefully an adjustable trackbar

seeing if anyone is interested in coming along, the more the merrier
Please continue this discussion elsewhere.
Unread 10-21-2012, 02:46 AM   #116
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

Hello Jason, I tried to pm you but your box is full. Do you mind if I get your email? I know you don't know me but I wish to offer my help, and wanted to send a full explanation to you.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited - Wifey's stock haul rig - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - 3.5 "IRO, 31s, a full sound system, 2 row rad, E Fan, 5.9 Limited Grill, no muffler - 1990 Nissan 300zx NA 5spd - Stillen Catback, a full sound system, 18" Rota p45r's - 2003 Aprilia SL1000 Falco - Slip-On's, Arrow Chip, Airbox Mod - 1984 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel - 093 ATS Turbo Kit
Joeyicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #117
jimmy21669
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I really do hope this keeps moving in the right direction. I have never in my life traveled less than 1.5 hours to wheel....Hancock and Sharpsburg would both change that for me dramatically.

I hope for the best and think it is great that you stay involved.
Unread 10-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #118
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the pm jason, I will be emailing you soon. Its hard to find time having 72 hours of work every week, so it may be later rather then soon.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited - Wifey's stock haul rig - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - 3.5 "IRO, 31s, a full sound system, 2 row rad, E Fan, 5.9 Limited Grill, no muffler - 1990 Nissan 300zx NA 5spd - Stillen Catback, a full sound system, 18" Rota p45r's - 2003 Aprilia SL1000 Falco - Slip-On's, Arrow Chip, Airbox Mod - 1984 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel - 093 ATS Turbo Kit
Joeyicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #119
ramthis426
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21669 View Post
I really do hope this keeps moving in the right direction. I have never in my life traveled less than 1.5 hours to wheel....Hancock and Sharpsburg would both change that for me dramatically.

I hope for the best and think it is great that you stay involved.
Where the he'll at is sharpsburg all we have hear is the battle field and dnr everywhere
ramthis426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #120
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthis426 View Post
Where the he'll at is sharpsburg all we have hear is the battle field and dnr everywhere
id like to know too i know there is a whole lotta nothing out here but i cant think of anywhere that isn't "illegal"... or is this going to open up those places and make them legal to wheel?

as far as in the frederick watershed i agree there should be trails there but it would interfere with the mountainbikers. that and there arent any signs explicitly saying you cant drive there just piled of big rocks in the way.

also, what about the land on south mountain surrounding lambs knoll? i believe it is almost all private land and maybe some state land, but people (myself included) ride ATVs and a few people a year take trucks up there and nobody ever complains. they are mostly old logging roads.
EDIT: about that i mean asking the property owners. It seems like you guys are willing to bargain with them...
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.