Maryland OHV Trails meeting/ comments - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Maryland OHV Trails meeting/ comments

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #151
ramthis426
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post

That it does. Not to be rude to anyone who likes horses but the rich stuck up horse owners in this area have been ruining things like this for a while. Agriculture as well. They buy up all the land that was usedd for farming or cattle and turn it into horse fields.

Sent from the icon of sin.
Kaylas family has race horses and yout dads a horse vet and they are all right the problem is no one get this **** on paper to hold the dnr to the fire when they back out

Sent from my jeep while driving trying not to wreck reading these stupid Questions you ask

Unread 03-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #152
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthis426 View Post

Kaylas family has race horses and yout dads a horse vet and they are all right the problem is no one get this **** on paper to hold the dnr to the fire when they back out

Sent from my jeep while driving trying not to wreck reading these stupid Questions you ask
Oh no I have no problem with horse people in general. I have a problem with stuck up rich horse people that have no disregard for anyone else outside of the horse world and buy up all the land. They are worse than peta.

Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #153
ramthis426
2005 WK 

Quote:
Oh no I have no problem with horse people in general. I have a problem with stuck up rich horse people that have no disregard for anyone else outside of the horse world and buy up all the land. They are worse than peta.

I'll stand with you on that one but it's not just horse people it's rich pricks who think they are better in there gay little hybrid
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #154
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthis426 View Post

I'll stand with you on that one but it's not just horse people it's rich pricks who think they are better in there gay little hybrid
Their hybrid gmc 1500 towing a recycled aluminum horse trailer.

Built Not Bought #666
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #155
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

I think you guys are getting way off topic. There is no reason to be pessimistic about all this, if DNR backs out, they back out, I don't think even making them put this on paper would hold them accountable for promises not delivered. Wheeling off road, is not a right, but a privilege, and we cant live in the 'what-if' scenarios that can come up from the ideas floating around, we just have to stay positive and find ways to contribute.

I also feel like a turd, I want to contribute to this cause, but don't want to be a hindrance, as many people can be when it comes to delicate situations like this. When site clean up time comes, if my schedule permits, I think I would like to do that.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited - Wifey's stock haul rig - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - 3.5 "IRO, 31s, a full sound system, 2 row rad, E Fan, 5.9 Limited Grill, no muffler - 1990 Nissan 300zx NA 5spd - Stillen Catback, a full sound system, 18" Rota p45r's - 2003 Aprilia SL1000 Falco - Slip-On's, Arrow Chip, Airbox Mod - 1984 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel - 093 ATS Turbo Kit
Joeyicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #156
MXdude105
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyicu View Post
I think you guys are getting way off topic. There is no reason to be pessimistic about all this, if DNR backs out, they back out, I don't think even making them put this on paper would hold them accountable for promises not delivered. Wheeling off road, is not a right, but a privilege, and we cant live in the 'what-if' scenarios that can come up from the ideas floating around, we just have to stay positive and find ways to contribute.

I also feel like a turd, I want to contribute to this cause, but don't want to be a hindrance, as many people can be when it comes to delicate situations like this. When site clean up time comes, if my schedule permits, I think I would like to do that.
Agree with some of your points except that I think there is every reason to be pessimistic given DNR's track record of broken promises to the OHV community. Also yes, It cannot be considered a "right" to wheel. However, when the State makes every effort to accommodate other demographics ("equestrians" sounds like scapegoating but mostly that's who I'm referring to...look at all of the taxpayer-owned land given to them giftwrapped) while ignoring and obstructing the OHV community to the best of their ability, that's where we start to take offense and really question the decision making process.
MXdude105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #157
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXdude105 View Post

Agree with some of your points except that I think there is every reason to be pessimistic given DNR's track record of broken promises to the OHV community. Also yes, It cannot be considered a "right" to wheel. However, when the State makes every effort to accommodate other demographics ("equestrians" sounds like scapegoating but mostly that's who I'm referring to...look at all of the taxpayer-owned land given to them giftwrapped) while ignoring and obstructing the OHV community to the best of their ability, that's where we start to take offense and really question the decision making process.
This.

Built Not Bought #666
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #158
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

In the 'group' that has been meeting with DNR, there are only two maybe three of us that represent OHVs, (to include side-by-sides, ATVs, dirt bikes, and offroad vehicles.) The rest of the group is made up of all types of folks who participate in outdoor activities, to include equestrians, snowmobilers, etc. We should be grateful that the People's Republic of Maryland has even come this far in regards to opening some land where offroad vehicles will be permitted.

Where can we find a "track record of broken promises to the OHV community" MXdude105? Have you been involved with the DNR in attempting to open OHV areas previously? I'd like to know if the last two years I've spent trying to get things running have been in vain...
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #159
MXdude105
2013 JK Wrangler 

My only involvement is in regards to the Cherry Tree Lane property that I discussed in an earlier post. As I mentioned, a local man submitted a proposal to DNR to turn an unused parcel of land (roughly 100 acres of hilly terrain about 1/2 mile from the nearest dwelling) into a public use OHV park for Jeeps, dirtbikes, etc. A group of people including myself put in some initial work on the property after the DNR agreed to work with the group (specifically the gentleman who had organized and submitted the proposal) to open up the land for OHV use. After allowing us to waste time cleaning up the area the DNR then decided to post no-OHV signs around the property and informed the gentleman who had submitted the proposal and organized the work group that the property would be for equestrian trails only.
This is only one example so forgive me if my "track record of broken promises" comment was a bit of a blanket statement. I'm sure, however, that this is not the only instance of the State saying one thing and doing another with regards to OHV use. In the dozen or so years that I have been involved with OHV's I have seen only reductions and closures of legal riding areas and nothing to substantially convince me that the DNR intends to do otherwise in the future.
I appreciate any work you've done on behalf of the OHV community and I'd like to see things change as much as anyone; from what I've read in your earlier posts things sound somewhat hopeful. Frankly, however, I think unless a drastic political realignment occurs in this state (another thread for another forum, perhaps) most of our work to open riding areas will be for naught.
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #160
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I meant no offense and took none from your post. Thank you for clarifying. I agree with you wholeheartedly as Md has already taken my guns, and what's next; but agreed a different topic for another thread.

As an aside, why did the gentleman not decide to use the property as a private OHV park, or had that decision been changed by DNR?

Thanks for your insight and opinion.
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #161
MXdude105
2013 JK Wrangler 

No worries, none taken either. And yeah I won't even get started on the whole gun/CC permit nonsense, man that could go 10 pages
As far as the property, to the best of my knowledge it was county land that was transferred to state management late last year. The fellow that organized all of this lives in the area and did some research about what the land was zoned for, what was its intended use, etc. Apparently the land is on the books to become part of a nearby wildlife management area within the next decade, but until that time was not designated for any specific purpose. I think had it been given a chance it would have been a great little place to wheel. Reasonable distance away from neighbors, varied terrain, about 10-15 minutes from the nearest town. We had about a dozen or so local guys that were willing to help with upkeep, putting in silt fences, etc. The guy that organized the group is still in talks with the regional DNR rep trying to see if anything can be done, but the last we spoke they were giving him the run around.
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #162
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can you shoot me the DNR reps name? I'll see what I can dig up...
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #163
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

Being pessimistic serves no purpose at all, that was the point I am trying to put across. We need to stay positive, as best as we can, even with past experiences. Who knows who may be reading, and it certainly cant hurt our chance. I feel if past experience are brought up and people bash and complain about DNR that it runs the risk of hurting our cuase, that is all.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited - Wifey's stock haul rig - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - 3.5 "IRO, 31s, a full sound system, 2 row rad, E Fan, 5.9 Limited Grill, no muffler - 1990 Nissan 300zx NA 5spd - Stillen Catback, a full sound system, 18" Rota p45r's - 2003 Aprilia SL1000 Falco - Slip-On's, Arrow Chip, Airbox Mod - 1984 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel - 093 ATS Turbo Kit
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #164
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Pessimists are never dissapointed.

It doesn't matter either way. Unless we are going to the meetings our attitude has no impact on the outcome.

Built Not Bought #666
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #165
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Pessimists are never dissapointed.

It doesn't matter either way. Unless we are going to the meetings our attitude has no impact on the outcome.

That is what I am saying, it could have an impact, you honestly never know who may be reading these posts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.