Maryland OHV Trails meeting/ comments - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Maryland OHV Trails meeting/ comments

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 01-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #136
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Never mind.

Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #137
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
Not to sound rude but what made them choose you? Do you work for the local govt or something?
I do not work for the government. I had read this update online in early May 2011:

http://dnr.maryland.gov/dnrnews/pres...11/050611b.asp

When DNR closed Maryland OHV trails: the Green Ridge Trail at Green Ridge State Forest, Chandler Trail at Pocomoke State Forest, and Poplar Lick Trail at Savage River State Forest, I wrote Paul Peditto and asked what the intentions of the DNR were in respect to opening those trails or any new property in Maryland for the OHV community. He told me that a committee was being formed to lead this process of finding new areas to purchase or lease for OHV access. About 3-4 weeks later an email went out to about 20 of us whom had emailed Mr. Peditto so saying that we had been selected to serve on the committee.

My selection was luck of the draw I guess.
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #138
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBDEEP View Post

I do not work for the government. I had read this update online in early May 2011:

http://dnr.maryland.gov/dnrnews/pres...11/050611b.asp

When DNR closed Maryland OHV trails: the Green Ridge Trail at Green Ridge State Forest, Chandler Trail at Pocomoke State Forest, and Poplar Lick Trail at Savage River State Forest, I wrote Paul Peditto and asked what the intentions of the DNR were in respect to opening those trails or any new property in Maryland for the OHV community. He told me that a committee was being formed to lead this process of finding new areas to purchase or lease for OHV access. About 3-4 weeks later an email went out to about 20 of us whom had emailed Mr. Peditto so saying that we had been selected to serve on the committee.

My selection was luck of the draw I guess.
Thanks . I would love to be right there with you. I've always been an advocate for keeping public lands open to the public.

As far as green ridge goes, what are the odds we will see it reopened? Or is that out of the question? I'm sure you've answered that before so feel free to answer with a link.

Sent from under my Jeep.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #139
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No worries.

I truly don't feel that Green Ridge will be opened to OHV traffic other than to travel to campsites. There has been too much illegal offroading up there with people traveling around closed gates and climbing areas that were off limits. Let me see if I can find the report for you.

Link:

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/forests/orvreport.asp

Last edited by HUBDEEP; 01-28-2013 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Link added
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #140
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No worries.

I truly don't feel that Green Ridge will be opened to OHV traffic other than to travel to campsites. There has been too much illegal offroading up there with people traveling around closed gates and climbing areas that were off limits. Let me see if I can find the report for you.

Link:

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/forests/orvreport.asp
And I am going to assume they don't give half a **** about the "punishing all for the actions of a few" argument. And has anyone put up the argument that a lot of the reason for offroading illegaly is because we are given no areas to do it legally?

I know it isn't an excuse but the reason many people wheel in questionably legal and illegal areas is because we have nowhere to go legally. I would gladly pay 200 dollars or more to gain access to the lands that I pay with my taxes to have pointlessly maintained.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #141
cmecha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
And I am going to assume they don't give half a **** about the "punishing all for the actions of a few" argument. And has anyone put up the argument that a lot of the reason for offroading illegaly is because we are given no areas to do it legally?

I know it isn't an excuse but the reason many people wheel in questionably legal and illegal areas is because we have nowhere to go legally. I would gladly pay 200 dollars or more to gain access to the lands that I pay with my taxes to have pointlessly maintained.
agree with this statement
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #142
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a quickie update for you:

Okay, so I did a little digging this week to find out more info on the OHV article that was published in the Cumberland Times earlier this week. OHV Article. One of the guys on the committee is one of three gentlemen spearheading this possibility mentioned in said article. I emailed him and received this response:

"The back story is several of us (myself, a land owner and a mine operator) met with Commissioner Valentine to discuss creating a Hatfield-McCoy like system in western MD. I wish he hadn't said "developer" as that implies a commercial venture. It is NOT a commercial venture. The intent is for a public governmental entity (TBD) to manage a public OHV "park".

This is complex and I was waiting to talk more about it at the Mar meeting."

I'm guessing it would be created by a private enterprise and then 'bought' by DNR for management purposes. We'll know more after the March Meeting. Start the rumor-mill...now. Lol
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #143
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Here's a quickie update for you:

Okay, so I did a little digging this week to find out more info on the OHV article that was published in the Cumberland Times earlier this week. OHV Article. One of the guys on the committee is one of three gentlemen spearheading this possibility mentioned in said article. I emailed him and received this response:

"The back story is several of us (myself, a land owner and a mine operator) met with Commissioner Valentine to discuss creating a Hatfield-McCoy like system in western MD. I wish he hadn't said "developer" as that implies a commercial venture. It is NOT a commercial venture. The intent is for a public governmental entity (TBD) to manage a public OHV "park".

This is complex and I was waiting to talk more about it at the Mar meeting."

I'm guessing it would be created by a private enterprise and then 'bought' by DNR for management purposes. We'll know more after the March Meeting. Start the rumor-mill...now. Lol
As far as who develops and maintains the land I think it should be private. If it's government land then nobody will own it and nobody will care about it and it'll just slip down the slope to being turned into a trash dump.

Sent from my Galaxy
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 02-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #144
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This made the Daily Record:
http://thedailyrecord.com/2013/02/22...in-western-md/
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #145
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

MARCH Update

Actually, March’s meeting was very encouraging. It was really mind blowing to learn that the DNR is serious about using WMA's (Wildlife Management Areas) for OHV. Mind you, it would mean closure during hunting season. Honestly though, it seems like a very small price to pay. I honestly believe that would work in our favor in two ways.

We are looking at doing a field trip to these areas, tentatively in April. I’m planning to go and will take pics.

Antietam is stalled out. Not looking too promising. No one's fault in the group, for sure. Just not working out. It is what it is.

There is a “mine” property at I-70 and I-68 which still holds hope and the owner really wants to make it happen.

One of the group members is working with a Mine property owner in Allegany County. To start with, we are looking at 300 acres. The county commissioner is all for this. The DNR group leader has to see if the State can help us with the liability end of it. If that were to happen, the County would help to establish management. The State and the County are now seeing $$$$ signs.

Barton is still on the table. St. John's Rock is a real possibility.

The tone was very upbeat! It was encouraging, as some members from the Baltimore 4 Wheelers, Inc. four wheel drive club were there. Nice turn out.

One of the group members has been speaking with Donelle at the Nature Conservancy, (with extreme caution). Still, she was very polite during the meeting and even supportive at times with our game plan. Another member with ‘well-known’ land use group was at odds with the plan. You could take the most wasted of waste land and there would still be a problem. We made it clear, we are not looking for waste land. We appreciate the finer aspects of nature, too.

At the evening's Public Trails meeting was about 8 to 1 OHV people there. Mind you, many were clueless and really not so much help to our cause, but they count too. A number of very elderly citizens there were very vocal FOR OHV access! Some OHV folks there were pretty loud, but not out of control. A consulting firm was used to run this meeting and gather data. Given the crowd, they were doing the best that they could and put up with some tough folks. Keeping folks on topic was a main difficulty. Still, they stayed tough.

For those of you asking how to help out, let’s just say keep Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day weekends open. We may need some ready hands…we will be focusing on pre-engineering design phase ideas.

Truly, very exciting times for Maryland's OHV community!

Unread 03-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #146
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Good news! Thanks for the update!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #147
jimmy21669
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Jason! Great news and thanks for giving it. The word on the street was not as upbeat.
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #148
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome news!

A few questions.

Where are Barton and St. Johns Rock?

Why if the "mine" location is privately owned would he not he able to just open it?

If any one of these places do become "open for business" what is the estimated opening date? If there isn't one established then what is your opinion on the matter?

Sent from the icon of sin.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #149
MXdude105
2013 JK Wrangler 

Not to rain on the parade but this sounds awfully like what the DNR initially said regarding OHV use in Carroll County (Cherry Tree Lane if you've heard of it). They were full of promises and optimism about using this ~100 acre parcel of land for OHV use. A local gentleman submitted a proposal to turn the land into a public OHV park and was given a guarantee by the DNR that they would work with him on the project. Several individuals, myself included, went out to the property to do some initial cleanup work and preparation on the site. No less than one week later, DNR decides the land will be strictly for equestrian trails and posts NO-OHV signs around the property. Never mind that within 20 miles of this site there already exists three state/county owned parks with extensive equestrian trails (CC Equestrian Ctr, Patapsco State Park, Piney Run), while the nearest state/county land for legal OHV use is over 130 miles away in Garret County. Money talks, as always I guess.
MXdude105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #150
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXdude105 View Post
Not to rain on the parade but this sounds awfully like what the DNR initially said regarding OHV use in Carroll County (Cherry Tree Lane if you've heard of it). They were full of promises and optimism about using this ~100 acre parcel of land for OHV use. A local gentleman submitted a proposal to turn the land into a public OHV park and was given a guarantee by the DNR that they would work with him on the project. Several individuals, myself included, went out to the property to do some initial cleanup work and preparation on the site. No less than one week later, DNR decides the land will be strictly for equestrian trails and posts NO-OHV signs around the property. Never mind that within 20 miles of this site there already exists three state/county owned parks with extensive equestrian trails (CC Equestrian Ctr, Patapsco State Park, Piney Run), while the nearest state/county land for legal OHV use is over 130 miles away in Garret County. Money talks, as always I guess.
That it does. Not to be rude to anyone who likes horses but the rich stuck up horse owners in this area have been ruining things like this for a while. Agriculture as well. They buy up all the land that was usedd for farming or cattle and turn it into horse fields.

Sent from the icon of sin.
Built Not Bought #666

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.