Looking for help installing 2.5 OME lift on 99 Cherokee at Fort Meade AA County - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Looking for help installing 2.5 OME lift on 99 Cherokee at Fort Meade AA County

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
brian0128
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking for help installing 2.5 OME lift on 99 Cherokee at Fort Meade AA County

I'm purchasing an OME lift this week for my 99 and I was wondering if anyone out there wants to help me install it. I was planning on installing it on base at the auto hobby shop since they have a lift so there will be no beer during the install but I'd be happy to pay for pizza and beer afterwards.

I'll take any help there is, but it would be nice if someone had some experience with installing a lift on a Cherokee before. There won't be any problem getting onto the base, just need proof of insurance and registration.

My plan is to install the lift the last weekend of the month. I'm off on Thur, Fri, Sat and Sunday. Anyone on or around Fort Meade interested in helping?

brian0128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

wish i was closer... pretty easy... just take your time any follow the instructions... very thorough

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Wish I was still out there. I worked right by Ft. Meade and would offer a hand.

I'm sure someone will step up.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
brian0128
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ordering the OME lift on Monday from Dirk. Going with the 3.5 inch lift. Need to save for a week and order a HD SYE. Not sure who I'm going with yet, but that part of the install is what has me the most nervous. I've read of people doing the install with the transfer case in which sounds easier but since I've never done it before I'm a little apprehensive about doing it myself having never pulled the transfer case before. Do I have to order the driveshaft after I install the SYE by taking measurements or is there a company that sells a kit with the driveshaft for 3.5 of lift?
Unread 09-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
jonathoner
1998 XJ Cherokee 

they sell kits. Can you look at an exploded view of a transfer case and see comprehend how it works? 231's are pretty simple. Ive had mine apart a couple times. But if you need to bail out just reference the exploded diagram
Unread 09-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

You can buy a kit or measure and order one from Carolina Driveline or Tom Woods.

The SYE is really easy to install. I did it in a about 2 hours of actual work. Didn't drop the tcase either. And it was an Advance Adapters kit I think - they had a nice YouTube tutorial on the install as well.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

you don't have to pull the transfer case to install the HD sye. It can be done with the TC still in the truck.

As far as helping I live right down the street (Laurel exit right off 295) and I'm willing to help, but I'm out of town that weekend...so unless you change the date I can't help.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
HustlinFlip
2004 KJ Liberty 

If there's anyone willing to help me install OME/Bilstein lift on my KJ, please let me know! Not anytime soon, still have to save up to purchase it... I'd just like to know ahead of time. I'm a novice when it comes to these things, so I could sure use a helping hand or two. I can surely provide pizza & beer
HustlinFlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
brian0128
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Kept running into problems with the insurance company giving me the check for getting rear ended but finally was able to purchase the lift.

I called Dirk at DPG and he talked me into the 4" Super Ultimate Kit.

OME Long Travel Shocks
OME Dual Rate Leaf Springs
OME Coil Springs & Spacers
JKS Quicker Disconnects
JKS Adj. Trackbar
JKS Adj Lower Control Arms
DOT SS Front Brakelines
New DPG HD U-Bolt Kit
DPG Front Extended Bump stops
DPG Swaybar Disco Cables
Leaf Spring Bushings
4 Degree Shims
JKS Rear High Clearance Axle Shock Mount

I'm excited about the lift. I'm going to try and install it all at the auto hobby shop on Fort Meade. Once it's installed I'm going to ask around and see if someone can weld on the JKS Shock Mounts for me. Anyone have a front driveshaft that I can borrow for a month after I install my lift so I can measure and order mine from Tom Woods?
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

HustinFlip where are you located? I'll give you a hand. Never worked on a Libby before but the suspension is similar I'm sure.

Brian you know I'll help you with yours
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
brian0128
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm going to install the lift this Friday night and Saturday over at the Fort Meade Auto Hobby Shop. Dukie564 (Justin) is going to lend me a hand and help me out with any problems I run into.

If anyone wants to stop by, I'll buy beer when we are d0ne on Saturday. PM me and I'll give you my phone number and give you instructions on how to get on the base and where to meet us at.
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie564 View Post
Never worked on a Libby before but the suspension is similar I'm sure.
Liberties are IFS and have coils in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0128 View Post
I'm going to install the lift this Friday night and Saturday over at the Fort Meade Auto Hobby Shop
Soak the crap out of the entire underside of your jeep with PB blaster tonight or tomorrow morning. At the very least hit it a half hour before you start.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
brian0128
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
Soak the crap out of the entire underside of your jeep with PB blaster tonight or tomorrow morning. At the very least hit it a half hour before you start.
I've been hitting it every other day for 2 weeks. Hopefully that does the job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.