Jeep-friendly inspection in MD? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Jeep-friendly inspection in MD?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep-friendly inspection in MD?

I need to get my XJ through Maryland inspection soon. As you can see from my sig, it's pretty tall and I'm afraid it won't pass. Where do you guys take yours? Looking for a place that will be helpful in pointing out potential problems and not just giving me an F-U.

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought
Crewdude007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

bump. Can anybody make a recommendation?

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

bump. again.

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

ask in our MD people thread. Maryland is VERY thorough when it comes to the inspection. You are most likely going to need to borrow some stock size (225/75ish) tires to pass the bumper height restriction.

It's very unlikely you'll find an inspector to pass you at that height...they're personally responsible if they get caught.

When i had mine done (although stock height, so i can't verify the height aspect), i had mine done at "Cloverly Automotive" on 198 in Burtonsville. It's a hole in the wall shop, but they know their stuff and do good work w/o the crazy prices. The head guy there Gary is a really good guy. They told me what needed to be fixed, asked what i wanted to fix myself vs have them fix, and are always upfront on the prices (and stick to their quotes very well). Always have no trouble getting my truck in there next day for most anything. Number is 301-384-0488.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
jonathoner
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If the lift is done right, then it should pass. Im currently in the same boat over a repair order for suspension, tires, and exhaust. They said the suspensions fine cuz its not hacked together, but ive got to put stock tires on it to bring the bumpers within hight of 28"s max. Go through and tighten everything, check everything. Heres someone else in MD that just got inspected and failed here. Post #544. Call around, tell them what youve got, ask about it. Or find some shady people that know shady shops and pay extra. Thats what i did... No dont ask me who it was I dont know. The money I paid went through 3 different hands before getting to whoever signed off on it, i have no clue who it was.
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

damn...he got hosed on that inspection. Floor pans have holes? WTF? There's no way in hell i would have passed if they were actually supposed to check that. Also passed w/o a working parking brake (still doesn't work lol)

By the look of your rig dude you shouldn't have much problem with anything but the bumper height. Just make sure the dumb crap (like turn signal light bulbs and your horn) all work before getting there. I know that, at least in my job and i'm sure in theirs also, once you start finding a bunch of stuff wrong, you dig deeper to see what else is wrong. Don't give them a reason to dig deeper.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks everybody for your help. I'm pretty meticulous about fixing the little stuff. Bulbs all work, suspension isn't hacked together, fluids changed regularly, etc. Everything's on the up and up. It passed NJ altered-height inspection two years ago and they went over things with a fine-tooth comb there too. The height is what I'm most concerned about. I'll keep you all posted on what I find when I try to get this through.

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.