Historic tags...? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Historic tags...?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #16
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Street rod for the win!

Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #17
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBDEEP View Post
It's not mileage limits as per the MVA.

Those limits were set up by our insurance company. 1k a year. They wanted to know when the 'historic' vehicle would be driven, where (shows, meets), how often, etc. They give us a call every 11-12 months requesting mileage.

That's what I meant when I said:
Sounds a little overbearing. My insurance doesn't do that and my odometer didn't work for the first year I had the Jeep anyway. I don't put many miles on it to begin with but an arbitrary limit like that would be frustrating. My tags expire next year so I think I'm going street rod since it'll be 25. Plus those tags are way cooler than historic tags.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #18
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
Plus those tags are way cooler than historic tags.

clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #19
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Street rod tags flex better off road
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 05-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #20
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I has seen it.
Unread 05-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
Jasons4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just to help clear up some confusion in this thread, I have Maryland "historic" tags on an old Mazda that I used to use for drag racing and hardly ever drive anymore. My Jeep is an '06, so obviously it doesn't qualify yet. There are NO mileage or time restrictions on historic tags from the state. The ONLY thing you have to do to get the tags is prove that the vehicle is at least 20 model years old if the model is no longer in production (if the model is still in production (like say a Ford Mustang) it must be 25 model years old. I do not know if they would consider a YJ wrangler to be still in production since a JK is still technically considered a Wrangler - keep in mind I was getting the tags for an old Mazda 323. After that, the only thing you have to do is sign a waiver that says that the vehicle receiving the tags is not your primary means of transportation (i.e. not a daily driver). Then you pay the fee and pick up the tags.

I have heard that if a cop notices you driving a vehicle with historic tags frequently that they can pull you over for it - for example if they sit in the same spot every day and notice you drive by every day, but I don't know if that's true but the tags don't really stick out so I can't imagine it would be a huge deal.

I don't know about your insurance company, but I have Progressive and I called to notify them that I was putting historic tags on the car and asked if that changed anything with their policy and the girl laughed and said they really don't care and it doesn't change anything on their end, but I can't speak for any other insurance companies.
Jasons4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #22
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There is absolutely no requirement for whatever you were saying about models being in production. Not sure where you got that info but it's wrong.
Unread 05-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #23
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

<sighs>

Why does it feel this conversation is going in circles?

From the MVA website:

Historic:
  • To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, and must be 20 model years or older.
  • A historic vehicle 60 years or older may obtain a one-time, permanent, non-transferable registration. This vehicle registration does not qualify for specialty plates.
  • Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses.
  • The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways.

Street Rod:
  • To qualify as a street rod, your vehicle must be 25 years old or older and must have been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.
  • Vehicles classified as street rod certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses.
  • The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways.
Unread 05-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #24
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBDEEP View Post
<sighs>

Why does it feel this conversation is going in circles?

From the MVA website:
I don't think anyone else read my link.
Unread 05-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

That whole production model thing used to be in there but was taken out in the last 5 years.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #26
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I concur.
Unread 05-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #27
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did, that is actually the page that I read before I posted the OP..
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #28
Jasons4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari View Post
That whole production model thing used to be in there but was taken out in the last 5 years.
I got my tags about 3 years ago and it was still in the paperwork that I was given when I got my tags, but if that website is correct then apparently they did take it out.

Also one last thing - it does mention in there that the vehicle can't be "significantly altered", however you are not required to have any sort of inspections done on the car so I don't know that it would really be a problem if you had a big lift or whatever. I know my Mazda has a ton of aftermarket work on it but they're so uncommon that anyone casually looking at it wouldn't realize that it's not bone stock except for the big Auto-Meter tach on the dash.
Jasons4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #29
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasons4x4 View Post
. . .however you are not required to have any sort of inspections done on the car so I don't know that it would really be a problem if you had a big lift or whatever. . ..
I think MSP would notice 37"s on a 'historic' tagged CJ7 . . .
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, I'm just running 33s with a 4 inch lift.. doubt they know thats not stock..
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.