Historic tags...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Historic tags...?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Historic tags...?

Anyone have historic tags on their jeep? Ive been looking into it just so that I don't have to get emissions tests done. The application says the,"The vehicle is 20 calendar years or older and has not been substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from its original construction", wonder what they mean by substantially altered?

Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #2
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Lift, tires, etc.

Historic tags limit you to a certain mileage per year, judged by your insurance company. Historic and Street rod tags are supposed to be just for 'show' vehicles, etc. MSP can be sticky about it if they feel like it, but that's can be just about anything.

Street Rod tags are for those vehicles that are 'radically or substantially altered' from the factory.

We run street rod tags on this:

clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome rig, defiantly highly altered, I am more curious about not having to go through emissions. I passed it last year but they were being total a**es about things, gauges not working, etc..
Unread 05-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Street rods also have to be more than 25 years old compared to 20 for historic. Hubdeep, how did you get street rod tags on an 87? Or is that not your YJ?
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/FAQ/default.htm#anchor313
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
Street rods also have to be more than 25 years old compared to 20 for historic. Hubdeep, how did you get street rod tags on an 87? Or is that not your YJ?
It's the wife's trail rig. It is tagged as a 1979 CJ7.
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Lace
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBDEEP View Post
That's awesome looking!!
Lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's the wife's trail rig. It is tagged as a 1979 CJ7.
87s can be tagged as street rods next year. Just realized that. Is there any benefit to street rod vs. historic? I could make an argument for mine for either category.
Unread 05-12-2011, 04:20 AM   #8
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think there is a benefit, except for the fact that a rig riding on 37"s won't be as 'suspicious' looking driving with a street rod tag vs a historic tag. I ran historic tags on our '64 CJ5. It was stock and did not raise any eyebrows. My '87 could be historic, but with the 36" Irok's it would be hard to make the case to the State Trooper that YJ's came off the assembly line looking like that.
Unread 05-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #9
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I ran historic tags on our '64 CJ5. It was stock and did not raise any eyebrows. My '87 could be historic, but with the 36" Irok's it would be hard to make the case to the State Trooper that YJ's came off the assembly line looking like that.
Do you really think a trooper would pull you over for just that reason? Its not like you would be speeding but I imagine if they wanted to be a dick they could and just start filling out tickets.. I'm debating on calling my insurance company to see what they consider mileage for historic tags..
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djsthe1 View Post
Do you really think a trooper would pull you over for just that reason? Its not like you would be speeding but I imagine if they wanted to be a dick they could and just start filling out tickets.. I'm debating on calling my insurance company to see what they consider mileage for historic tags..
I have never heard anything about mileage. Some people also seem to think you can only drive a historic vehicle on the weekends. Read the rules and all it says is something to the effect of it can't be your daily driver, can't use it for a work vehicle, etc. No mileage, no days of the week, none of that.
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

its funny how different the laws are state to state. ive got antique plates here in va and basically all it is restricted to is annual mileage, and its use on public roads is for road tests, club events, or things like that. not commuting
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
I have never heard anything about mileage. Some people also seem to think you can only drive a historic vehicle on the weekends. Read the rules and all it says is something to the effect of it can't be your daily driver, can't use it for a work vehicle, etc. No mileage, no days of the week, none of that.
It's not mileage limits as per the MVA.

Those limits were set up by our insurance company. 1k a year. They wanted to know when the 'historic' vehicle would be driven, where (shows, meets), how often, etc. They give us a call every 11-12 months requesting mileage.

That's what I meant when I said:
Quote:
Historic tags limit you to a certain mileage per year, judged by your insurance company.
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jason what insurance do you have? Allstate when I was with my parents and Progressive on my own never inquired about mileage.

I drive a Jeep with a street rod tag when ever the weather is above 70 and not raining.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari View Post
Jason what insurance do you have? Allstate when I was with my parents and Progressive on my own never inquired about mileage.
State Farm.

Now they have not said anything about our Street Rod tags. They were only concerned when we had the '64 CJ5 tagged historic.
Unread 05-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have USAA and they call like once a year asking about how much I put on my vehicles with regular tags on them haha..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.