Hello Jeepers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maryland Jeep Forum > Hello Jeepers

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Hello Jeepers

Moved here from Nevada with a 5.9 ZJ that has a 2" BB and 245/75-16 tires on stock rims.
I went to get it inspected today and failed for oversized tires. Argument ensued.
Took it to another place and he said that the tires are within spec of the two size limit but since I have a 2" lift then it's technically not legal for inspection. He suggested that I remove the pucks and bring it back and if it doesn't rub it's passed. I know the tires will fit with no lift but the shocks on there are longer Bilsteins and I am afraid that I could ruin them driving it at stock height.

So my options are to buy 4 used tires and rims for a one time use which I am trying to avoid

Take the pucks out which is a huge pain and still may ruin 300 dollar shocks

Find another shop that has a better opinion.

So does anyone know a shop near the 20714/ North Beach area that is good with 4x4 inspections?

Thanks, I have close to a month to deal with this. Never been through so much B.S. trying to register a vehicle before, especially one that is almost stock.

Thanks

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Brien999
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the great and psychotic State of Maryland. The land of tax and spend what we don't have. The laws here will drive you absolutely insane. I do not live down your way, so I don't have a 4x4 friendly place for you. I did however recently buy a jeep tub trailer in Pa., and had to inspect, title, & tag it in Md.... wow.. that was an experience, so I feel your pain.
Unread 08-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

Dont do anything crazy. When do your out of state tags expire?
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited - Wifey's stock haul rig - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - 3.5 "IRO, 31s, a full sound system, 2 row rad, E Fan, 5.9 Limited Grill, no muffler - 1990 Nissan 300zx NA 5spd - Stillen Catback, a full sound system, 18" Rota p45r's - 2003 Aprilia SL1000 Falco - Slip-On's, Arrow Chip, Airbox Mod - 1984 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel - 093 ATS Turbo Kit
Joeyicu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

I will track down an MSI book tomorrow at work, but I dont think the rule for state of MD is lifted trucks fail. I think this shop is trying to bs you. I know Adams Company in the harford county sells a lot of used modified vehicles inspected, so that goes out the window of it being a fail for being lifted.

Someone could go with the argument " well lift pucks aren't legal because they are unsafe" but I think they just want to be picky. I would go and talk to a few places, some places get really weird when a customer brings something in that isn't the norm. Same thing happened to me with my bike when I went to inspect it, the shop tried to say my fork bearing was failed, and when I jumped the guy and he tried to show me the issue, he couldn't even show me what his tech had meant and on top of that I had already clocked a good 1000 miles on the bike, I knew it was fine, and something was up, I went somewhere else and it passed ASAP.

I will update tomorrow.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited - Wifey's stock haul rig - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - 3.5 "IRO, 31s, a full sound system, 2 row rad, E Fan, 5.9 Limited Grill, no muffler - 1990 Nissan 300zx NA 5spd - Stillen Catback, a full sound system, 18" Rota p45r's - 2003 Aprilia SL1000 Falco - Slip-On's, Arrow Chip, Airbox Mod - 1984 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel - 093 ATS Turbo Kit
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Hey thanks for the comments. My tags expire on the 25th of this month. I took it to another place and they looked up the law and said my tires are fine but since I have a lift of 2" that makes it unable to pass. He told me to lower it back to stock and bring it in. If it doesn't rub without the lift then he'll sign off on it for free. Maryland law states that the tires can't be more than 2 sizes larger and can't contact the fenders.

I know the tires will fit with no lift but the bad thing is in addition to all the work involved, I have some nice Bilstein shocks than I don't want to ruin by driving it lowered since they are longer than stock. I just have to drive extremely careful. Looks like I will probably need to get an alignment after all this crap too. What a waste of money.

I went ahead and ordered some OME 2.5" coils so when I put it back together It won't be for nothing.
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

I dont think the law says anything about lifts being illegal though. I think it merely has a limit to how high your bumper is. I really have to check the book tomorow, my past week was super busy.
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Brien999
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Polka - Dont know if you have resolved this or not yet... but.. there are a few dealerships in MD that put lifts on NEW jeeps and sell. There are lifted jeeps everywhere, including mine. I think you need to find another place.
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien999 View Post
Polka - Dont know if you have resolved this or not yet... but.. there are a few dealerships in MD that put lifts on NEW jeeps and sell. There are lifted jeeps everywhere, including mine. I think you need to find another place.
I got it all done. took it back to stock and passed the inspection with the larger tires, then I went and put new OME 2" coils on afterward. I went through the COMAR and sure enough, you can have larger tires but if you have to mod the suspension to get them to fit without hitting the body then it's definitely illegal. Most cops just don't enforce it.
If you have larger tires and they fit your bumper can't be more than 28" off the ground but suspension modifications supersede this rule. It doesn't say anything about a lift with stock tires.

Here is a quote from a Maryland police officer

Quote:
LiftLaws

Via Email:
As a law enforcement officer in Maryland, I have to tell you the laws you reference are in the Maryland Transportation Article, and only scratch the surface. The laws that cover vehicle equipment are found in the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR). The Automotive Safety Enforcement Division of the Maryland State Police are tasked with overseeing the correct enforcement of these laws.

A quick easy way to know if your vehicle is illegal height, if you have to modify your suspension in order to fit larger tires under your vehicle, it is an illegal suspension modification... Otherwise it falls back to the stated bumper height regulations found in the Transportation Article and COMAR.

Here is a link to the COMAR in-case you want to commit suicide from boredom. It's big and stupid. You just about need lawyer to interpret it. http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/Spe...Downloads.aspx
Unread 09-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #9
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

Drive down route 1 between business 1 and route 152 in Northern Bel Air.

Riding through that area will tell you that this may actually be what the law says, but it isn't being enforced. Lifted pickup trucks get sold from Jones Junction, and they are not just conversion trucks. I don't believe this is true, even with what is being said, either that or there is something slick being done by Adams Company and Jones Junction to get these vehicles inspected and sold. I have seen brand new, and used vehicles of varying modification levels move through both lots. To contribute even more commentary on selling lifted vehicles in maryland, when I was at plaza ford, I switched tires from a lifted F150 onto a guys used F250 he had. Our company put bigger tires on that truck and sold it off the used lot also, there has to be a way.
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yea I don't think its a big deal most of the time after reading a lot but I also think I was given an especially hard time about something very insignificant. I may just have to go out and get a huge beater. I could always use a massive rust bucket winter truck.
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

cant do rust with md inspection either, unless you want a 93 or older, and historic tags, witch then technically, you cant drive every day anyways, and is restricted to an X amount of miles per year. Nazi's I say.
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyicu View Post
cant do rust with md inspection either, unless you want a 93 or older, and historic tags, witch then technically, you cant drive every day anyways, and is restricted to an X amount of miles per year. Nazi's I say.
Just when I thought it was a crazy as it could get you drop that on me lol. There is no end to the liberal B.S.!
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Historic tags usually are reserved for show vehicles with 'weekend' events. MSP will not check on mileage; your insurance company will.

We have Street Rod tags on one of our rigs. MVA definition: "To be registered as a street rod (class N), your vehicle must:

*be 25 model years old or older; and
*have been substantially altered from the manufacturer’s original design.

A vehicle registered as a street rod cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses."
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
1987_yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When it comes to licensing any vehicle in MD, try to avoid it. If you own property in NV, keep the registration active. The MD inspectors are not willing to bend. They have an inspection station license that they aren't going to throw away, at least not for a stranger anyways. They stand a lot to lose by looking the other way. When it PCSd here grime FL, I was just registering regulars cars and a truck. They wouldn't pass me for a burned out license plate bulb. They charged me an additional 17.00 for that.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
1987_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.