wanting to know of some trails in georgia - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > wanting to know of some trails in georgia

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 08-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #16
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler00 View Post
Good places near Dahlonega for forestry roads are up arounf Hawk Mtn. Rangers train up in the mountains and have many old logging roads being used for practice battles etc. Some good narrow trails with rocks and stream crossings. Need to have a good built rig for alot of it but if you had a winch you would be fine.
This is the area that we usually do our little day-trips; my buddy is a Ranger and he took us there at first when he got back from Iraq. The Ranger base also has "open houses" pretty often.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #17
DezDiggler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Are there any land use issues with the ranger trails?

There is a easy trail up the mountain that I frequent when I go camping up in Helen. (Raven Cliffs Falls) Nothing exciting as far as a trail, but its got nice views and wildlife.
DezDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
krawler00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

As far as I know there are no issues. When you are facing the ranger station turn right and it goes up to a 4 way. Turn left and go thru the next intersection by turning left. Hawk Mtn road is on the right about a mile up. Awesome flat open grass top and a fun little trail to the summit. It was closed but now is open. Trails are all over those roads. Just follow and see.
krawler00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #19
jbaird1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tibbs is completely legal as long as the gate is open at top. The trails at the top of Rocky Flats are illegal know from experience. All the trails are in my backyard less than 5 min if anyone ever wants to ride them.
jbaird1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #20
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

I thought Tibbs was an ATV only trail. At least the Forest Service says it is.
Unread 08-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #21
jbaird1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thats what it says but you whole windy gap trail can be ridden. Your from GATR ask Chris we rode the whole windy gap and tibbs trail a month ago. Tibbs is a local hunting rode during the winter.
jbaird1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 12:01 AM   #22
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lets go. Im about 15 mins out from the base or grassy.

I've got MX6s, more lift, SYE, and DS coming by next week. Lets go before hunting season one Sunday.

Any of these. Aint been to any of them
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 03:53 AM   #23
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezDiggler View Post
Are there any land use issues with the ranger trails?
We only got turned away one time; there were two serious-looking soldiers from the 101st with M-16's.
Usually they do their climbing and jumping by Yonah Mountain though; that's fun to watch if you get a chance to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird1 View Post
Tibbs is completely legal as long as the gate is open at top.
I really wonder about that; there aren't any signs that say that you can't drive a Jeep on them.
But Mr. Ranger told me that they're just for cycles and atv's. He didn't say that it would mean a ticket, just a "get out of here" thing.
He said "we open it up to regular traffic during the hunt."

They just had a bear hunt recently, btw; the bear population was out of hand. There were a reported 60 bears brought down in a weekend.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 08-13-2008, 08:05 AM   #24
krawler00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I watched a mock battle on top of Hawk a few years ago. They had set up an ambush and were sweeping over the top on the grassy section when the hell broke loose. M16s, Bars, all kinds of shootin! It was awesome to watch!
krawler00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2008, 11:14 PM   #25
DezDiggler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Check a few threads up. There apparently is a new park at Durhamtown Plantation.
DezDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #26
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Coppinger Cove, it's not in GA but it's close enough just on the other side of the TN state line around Chattanooga. Here are a couple pics from the last time I went.

This guy is on 37" TSL's with a 4" susp. and 3" body.

bebout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #27
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Where exactly? Never heard of it.

I need to test out my new shocks soon and shackles and SYE and a buncha crap LOL.

Lets go somewhere
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #28
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Dang. 37's must be nice...

Unread 08-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #29
jneal
Nice....Keep Wheelin!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

if anyone is interested in bouncing around Beasley or somewhere else on the week of labor day, I am taking the whole week off. Anytime is OK with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew View Post
You have nothing... You are a like a culture of ketchup mold... You are completely useless to everyone in the world!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
Hey Rob, can you do me a favor and stop quoting the retard? I have him on my ignore for a reason.:thumbdown:
jneal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #30
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery View Post
Don't head to Tellico without some lift, front and rear lockers, and a buddy.
tr1, 4 and 5 can be done in a stock TJ with 31" AT when it's dry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.