wanting to know of some trails in georgia - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > wanting to know of some trails in georgia

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
nlepkoske
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yj wanting to know of some trails in georgia

i live in Cleveland Ga and wondering if anyone knows of some trails around..

nlepkoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
FutureJK

Beasley Knob is up in Blairsville, honor pay system something like 5 bucks.
http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/conditions/index.shtml#ohv
There are some trails around Amicalola Falls, I've never been on them but they're supposed to be pretty mild. Then you've got Tellico up in NC and a couple of good parks in Alabama (Mountainside and Morris Mountain).
Unread 08-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

thats about it. There are trails here and there in the mountains but nothing to go crazy over. If you want to check out a local club go to www.gatrailriders.com

As far as parks and trails you have;

GA:
Beasley knob
River Rock ORV park
Roads behind Amicola Falls state park
2 small trails (un-maintaned forest roads, legal) near Chatsworth GA

Then as said you have parks in AL, TN, NC, and SC.
Unread 08-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
nlepkoske
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yea thanks. ive been wanting to go to tellico pretty bad..
nlepkoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Slippery
2009 JK Wrangler 

Don't head to Tellico without some lift, front and rear lockers, and a buddy.
Slippery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJerm View Post
2 small trails (un-maintaned forest roads, legal) near Chatsworth GA
Hey Jerm I went up to Rocky Flats on Sat. morn. and I think they may have cut some new trails in. I didn't go down them (not knowing if they were legal or not) but I was wondering where to go to see if they have.
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

from what I gathered from the ranger at the lake they use those as a fire route thing. Its a way to get around in an emergency quicker than what the normal trail would allow. HE never would say if they are legal or illegal to ride and seemed unsure him self. When I was there I decided not to try it even though one or 2 of them seemed like they would be fun spots to try.
Unread 08-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I was the same didn't want to break the law just incase. That's bad when the guys over that sort of thing don't know what's going on. I did find a nice little mud hole next to the little hillclimb/turn around that I played in. I also seen a fairly large bear track on the trail towards the back in the pine thickets.
Unread 08-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
Diehard

2004 WJ 

If the trails are not to be driven on I would think they would be gated or posted. Forest service roads are meant to be driven on by the public, but if it looks like it was a "new" trail and showed signs of damaged forest I'd stay off.
When I went to Rocky Flats it was difficult to tell exactly what trail you were to follow. No clear markings. We had some ATVs so we had them go up the trail to see if it was going to be the way to go. We never did follow the main one all the way to an end since it was getting late and we had kept track of how long we had rode so we could turn around and get back.
And yes it was just a forest service road and nothing like River Rock or Beasley or Tellico, but I enjoy a nice ride through the woods. Not every trip out has to be a difficult ride.
I may be tempted to go back sometime, but it was a long way for a ride thru the woods.
2004 GC Spec. Edit. V8 4x4 Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, 4" lift, RE shocks, adj. JKS CAs all around, 265/75/16, 10 ply., Maxxis Bighorns, ProtoFab winch bumper, Vortex 10,000 lb. winch, dual OME steering stabilizer, Rockyroad rockrails, skids, JKS Discos. Addco front & rear sway bar, & Aussie locker. Next year? : Rear bumper with tire carrier.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

yeah it was a nice tame trail. I put it in 4wd only for the sake of disco' of the front sway bar (e-disco, Rubicon model). I agree with you Diehard, you would think if they wanted people off the those trails they would do something, a mount of dirt, logs, ect to make a clear barrier but there were none when I was up there.

06trailrig, yeah when we were riding we saw a black bear cub jump out of tree up the trail. Pretty cool to watch but then we stayed on our toes looking out for mama bear...
Unread 08-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

We went to Cohutta on Saturday and the ranger said that there are trails off of Mill Creek Road that are Jeep-worthy. I didn't have time to check them out.
There's an OHV area near Conasauga Lake called Tibbs Trails but it's only open to Jeeps during hunting season... ...take your chances...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
Diehard

2004 WJ 

Where/what is Cohutta? And where is Mill Creek Road? Thanks.
2004 GC Spec. Edit. V8 4x4 Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, 4" lift, RE shocks, adj. JKS CAs all around, 265/75/16, 10 ply., Maxxis Bighorns, ProtoFab winch bumper, Vortex 10,000 lb. winch, dual OME steering stabilizer, Rockyroad rockrails, skids, JKS Discos. Addco front & rear sway bar, & Aussie locker. Next year? : Rear bumper with tire carrier.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #13
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cohutta is the national forest up near Chatsworth.
http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/...ilderness.html

Rocky Flats and Tatum lead are the only Jeep legal trails. The rest are for atvs, mountain bikes, hiking, and other small width 4x4 vehicles. At the top of the list is the Cohutta trails:
http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/orv_info.htm
Unread 08-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tibbs, Windy Gap, and Milma Creek are atv and motorcycle only no jeeps are allowed on the trails.

Diehard Mill Creek Rd. is in Eton/Crandall area. just north of Chatsworth on 411.
Unread 08-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
krawler00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good places near Dahlonega for forestry roads are up arounf Hawk Mtn. Rangers train up in the mountains and have many old logging roads being used for practice battles etc. Some good narrow trails with rocks and stream crossings. Need to have a good built rig for alot of it but if you had a winch you would be fine.
krawler00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.