Stokes State Forrest, NJ - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > Stokes State Forrest, NJ

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #121
Georgedj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Stokes State Park 7/26/09

Unread 07-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #122
Georgedj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 07-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #123
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

So, I obvously didn't make it today. I was on my way up and ran into some major issues. I put my 31's on this morning cause they are in a lot better shape than the stock tires that were on it, and I was hoping that the 31's wouldhelp with the death wobble I was having.

I jumped in and was headed up when I started to smell hot brakes. There were no vehicles in front of me so I figured I'd pull over and check to see if it was me. Well it turns out that it was. I stepped on the brake pedal when I went to pull over and it pulled hard to the right, which almost caused me to swerve off the road. Once I was stopped there was smoke literally billowing out from the driver side front wheel well. I sat around for a while till it cooled down and sprayed the hell out of it with brake clean and tapped on it with a hammer to try to break it loose. That turned out successful, so I continued on my way. I did notice when I started rollin again that my temp was gettin a little higher than normal but kept driving and kept an eye on the temp. Got stuck behind some old couple out on a Sunday drive and the needle kept climbing. I BLASTED the heat tryin to pull some heat off the motor, but to no avail. By the time I found somewhere safe to pull over it was up to the red (so around 260*F?). Shut it off, popped the hood checked all the usual stuff and there was nothin unusual. Let it cool down for prolly 45min and continued on again cause temp was good.

Started comin down one of the hills, hit the brakes and the steering wheel and front end started shakin like crazy. Let off the brakes, it went away. Don't know why it happened but it did, and how I made it down that hill (the one that comes down to Millbrook Village from Blairstown) without losing control and crashing, I'm still not sure. I pulled into Millbrook Village to take a look at things and all seemed good so I continued on again.

Went about 3 miles and started to overheat again so I pulled over again, let it cool down and decided to turn around. For fear of overheating again goin up that huge *** hill, I took the long way back...Old Mine Road down along the Deleware River heading toward Rt.80. 6 miles later it overheated again and did the nasty shudder and shake when I went to stop. By this time I was fuming mad and was ready to drive the thing into the river. It got down to normal temp and I took off again. After that stop, I didn't have another problem the rest of the 45 min ride home.

The temp stayed a little higher than usual but didn't overheat again, brakes pulsated a little when I stepped on the pedal and no wobble even once I got on Rt.80 and got up to 65-70mph.
I have no freaking clue what the hell the deal was today but I know I definately need to find out the problems.

That whole story may sound far-fetched and hard to believe, but I had a friend with me that will back me up on it.

I knew I should have drove my wife's Audi up there and just gone as a passenger with someone....it was a sh!tty day for me, but hopefully you all had a good time.
98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #124
tkob1060
2008 JK Wrangler 

damn you guys had an awesome turnout and some great pics, the forest looks beautiful this time of year. I really need to meet up with you guys, I didnt have a location for meeting and I planned on getting it saturday night and when I got back to the hotel their damn internet was down
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #125
doherty80
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So when's the next time your all hitting the trails?
doherty80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #126
Georgedj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doherty80 View Post
So when's the next time your all hitting the trails?
Not sure hit up the link in my sig and all the info is on our forum
Unread 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #127
doherty80
1990 YJ Wrangler 

just got my jeep a month or two ago and i've been dying to break her in properly
doherty80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #128
Muggsie
2002 WJ 

Here is a short video I found on my camera.
Muggsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 02:07 AM   #129
njkeagle
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do you mind sharing the entrance point to the trails. Also is it legal to go on the trails there?

Thanks
njkeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #130
jeeprscreeprs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i went up there today and couldnt find the trails? i drove all over the place around and in the park. please help
jeeprscreeprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #131
jeeprscreeprs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i found the ones of strubble road
jeeprscreeprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #132
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkeagle View Post
Do you mind sharing the entrance point to the trails. Also is it legal to go on the trails there?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPRSCREEPRS View Post
i went up there today and couldnt find the trails? i drove all over the place around and in the park. please help
all the details are a few pages back..not sure exactly what page or post but they are there.

Here's some pics from last weekend....
Here's the link to my Photobucket Album for the rest of the pics

98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #133
buktrk
1981 CJ8 

anyone wheelin 8-16

anyone going to stokes tomorrow 8-16, thinking bout going .
Unread 09-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #134
Green4dr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

my friend and i want to go tomorrow (Labor Day). The problem i see that will seperate us from others is we are 1.5 hrs away and have football till noon. We want to get dirty for the first day of school
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98xj-classic-springbreak-makeover-1344754
Green4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #135
Georgedj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

nice pics i miss all the rides

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.