Stokes State Forrest, NJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > Stokes State Forrest, NJ

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #31
jamiel
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im defenitly down with hitting some trails very soon!

jamiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #32
ZJ_Richie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiel View Post
Im defenitly down with hitting some trails very soon!
Me too she's ready

its hanging in the rear a little yet but thats ok
3 in. Pro Comp lift with crawlerready 2 in. spacers, longer than stock control arms, front adj. track bar with IRO hd mount, rear adj. track bar, jks discos, Currie Currectlync, black soft 8's with 32 in. Hankook Dynapro mts

Future mods: hp30, 8.8 swap, IRO's 5.5 Critcal Path Kit

ZJ_Richie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #33
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Richie nice looking ZJ i really like those tires good work

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #34
ZJ_Richie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixiesCJ3B View Post
Richie nice looking ZJ i really like those tires good work
Thanks its gettin there.
When are you done with school?
3 in. Pro Comp lift with crawlerready 2 in. spacers, longer than stock control arms, front adj. track bar with IRO hd mount, rear adj. track bar, jks discos, Currie Currectlync, black soft 8's with 32 in. Hankook Dynapro mts

Unread 04-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #35
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ_Richie View Post
Thanks its gettin there.
When are you done with school?
Next tuesday

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #36
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Richie...looks much better than the last time i saw it!
98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #37
ZJ_Richie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98CherokeeLTD View Post
Richie...looks much better than the last time i saw it!
Thanks. I think so too

Unread 04-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #38
courtesybullet
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sooooo I went there today, and the main office was closed, but I checked every map I could find and not a single one says that any trails are permit motor vehicles besides the main paved one. I realize guys say they have been there before and have wheeled a bit, but I would still like to at least know what section it was in and if it is still permitted.
courtesybullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #39
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtesybullet View Post
Sooooo I went there today, and the main office was closed, but I checked every map I could find and not a single one says that any trails are permit motor vehicles besides the main paved one. I realize guys say they have been there before and have wheeled a bit, but I would still like to at least know what section it was in and if it is still permitted.
every time that I have been up there, the main office has been closed. dont know that their normal hours are or whatever but maybe during the week they are there.

As I've said in previous posts, the main "trails" (which are basically dirt roads) are shown on google maps, but the rest aren't. the one that's shown on google parallels the Flatbrook and is a fishing, hunting, and hiking access road but has trails off of it along it's entire route.
Unread 04-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #40
Felonious_monk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I too have been on these "trails".... That are basically in my back yard.

Years ago these trails were township roads. Most of the people were removed from thier homes when the Government was going to build Tocks Island. Once the people were gone, the houses were removed. And the roads abandoned. They are now unmaintained, overgrown, and washed out.

Some of these roads/trails have no access signs on them. Others do not.

There is no definitive answer on the legality of riding those "trails".

In my opinion..... Having caravans of jeeps driving out there and asking the rangers if its legal is going to destroy the whole thing.

How do I handle it...... I just go. I do not travel on any road that is marked no access. All of the trails show up on my Garmin GPS. I don't litter, and I don't trash the place. If a ranger spotted me, I am positive that there would be some explaining to do. I might get lucky, or I might get screwed. I'm willing to take that risk.

The spot we are talking about is THE LAST spot of untouched wilderness left in Northern Jersey.

If it is respected, and kept untrampled, no one should have a reason to put a stop to it. Please don't give anyone that reason!

The alternative is simple....they'll block the roads and shut us out. Just like they do to the main road in the winters now.

If anyone wants more info, PM me.

Good luck out there
Unread 04-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #41
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious_monk View Post
I too have been on these "trails".... That are basically in my back yard.

Years ago these trails were township roads. Most of the people were removed from thier homes when the Government was going to build Tocks Island. Once the people were gone, the houses were removed. And the roads abandoned. They are now unmaintained, overgrown, and washed out.

Some of these roads/trails have no access signs on them. Others do not.

There is no definitive answer on the legality of riding those "trails".

In my opinion..... Having caravans of jeeps driving out there and asking the rangers if its legal is going to destroy the whole thing.

How do I handle it...... I just go. I do not travel on any road that is marked no access. All of the trails show up on my Garmin GPS. I don't litter, and I don't trash the place. If a ranger spotted me, I am positive that there would be some explaining to do. I might get lucky, or I might get screwed. I'm willing to take that risk.

The spot we are talking about is THE LAST spot of untouched wilderness left in Northern Jersey.

If it is respected, and kept untrampled, no one should have a reason to put a stop to it. Please don't give anyone that reason!

The alternative is simple....they'll block the roads and shut us out. Just like they do to the main road in the winters now.

If anyone wants more info, PM me.

Good luck out there
Thank you! it's about time you chimed in on this thread.

what's goin on with your rig? havent been in to talk to ya lately.
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #42
Felonious_monk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The thing is up and running like a monster...but only two wheel drive for about another week or so. I do have two low though...lol

I think I passed you the other day...
Unread 05-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #43
ZJ_Richie
1996 ZJ 

Any new news about the trails?

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #44
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ_Richie View Post
Any new news about the trails?
negative. been busy as hell helpin my father-in-law with work around the house for the last week or so. being that i've been tied up with that i havent had much time to do diddly-squat

I'm hopin that this weather breaks soon cause I'm gettin ready to swap the lift off of my grey XJ onto my white XJ.
Unread 05-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #45
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I run those old roads.I've driven most in an E250 Ford work van. The rangers won't say much unless you have driven on a clearly marked No vehicle trail, have alcohol or littering. Most of the roads are open for access to the Flatbrook River. Excellent flyfishing. The roads are passable by pretty much any car. The side trails are old farm lanes and river access. There are a few spots that require 4wd but not many. There is nice hiking and fishing. Peters Valley has handmade crafts and studios to check out. Nice day for a ride with the family but anyone looking for tough wheeling it ain't in Stokes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.