South Jersey Jeepers' - check in!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > South Jersey Jeepers' - check in!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 06-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

South Jersey Jeepers' - check in!!!!

I live around the Sea Isle City area and work in Millville. Any legal offroad places around there. Today on my way home from work I ventured off road on Rte. 83 onto some what looks like a fire road, the only real fun was the steep down/upslope off the road. Still, I got to work out the transfer case a little. My rigs' a stocker right now that needs a new upper ball joint so I have to take it easy.

Any places that I can go "mild" offroading? I've never tried the hardcore crawlin' and what not and don't really think I would want to try it. I also am not into the "heavy" muddin'. I guess I'm your "basic" off-roader.

Anyway, if any south jersey jeepers are in the area post here with your LEGAL off-roading spots.

KDOG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

WHarton is the only legal place to wheel in NJ. Its on Rt. 206, exit 28 on the expressway.
Im from AC, check this section. I think we are planning a run for sometime in July on a sunday.

Wharton is good because it has everything that is mild to pretty extreme. Our last run out, we had a JK on 37s burried to the doors where a stock XJ made it through about 20 feet to the left. As long as you know where your going, you will be fine.

DONT wheel alone at wharton, some holes get DEEP and there are freaks out there and you dont want to be stranded. Ill send you a PM next time we go out.
Unread 06-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
DARREN2264

wharton

wharton state forrest is a great place.just dont get caught running over vegitation.very big fine.also get caught with adult drinks very big fine,have a camp or fire with out a permit,very big fine. end up in some ones cranberry bog or blue berry field you will be shot at.litter and you will be killed on the spot. trash or mess the place up,you will not make it out of the woods with your vehicle.that is a promise. the rangers have a zero tolerance policy.mess up and it will cost you more than you think. i live on the edge of the state forrest. i guess that makes me a freak.most just call us piney's.it is amaizing how nice people can get that are not from around here after being stuck up to the windshield all nite,and a piney in his bobbed deuce pulls up and ask's if you need a pull.the law of the woods,you never charge or accept money for pulling some one out.what goes around comes around.have fun be safe and think twice. and bring a few extra girls,with teeth.
DARREN2264 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
2000TJDad
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
WHarton is the only legal place to wheel in NJ. Its on Rt. 206, exit 28 on the expressway.
Im from AC, check this section. I think we are planning a run for sometime in July on a sunday.

Wharton is good because it has everything that is mild to pretty extreme. Our last run out, we had a JK on 37s burried to the doors where a stock XJ made it through about 20 feet to the left. As long as you know where your going, you will be fine.

DONT wheel alone at wharton, some holes get DEEP and there are freaks out there and you dont want to be stranded. Ill send you a PM next time we go out.
Brian -

If you are looking for others next time you go let me know. My son and I would like to tag along. Our jeep is stock as well and my sons DD so we wouldn't be looking to take on anything really difficult but would like to get out.
I was in there about 20 years ago with a Toyota 4x4 pick-up I had at the time while camping to collect firewood but didn't venture very far into it. I did get in far enough to see a Ford 4x4 pick-up that was left there buried alive in sand and it would be nice to explore a little further.
Let me know if you wouldn't mind some extra company.
2000TJDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJDad View Post
Brian -

If you are looking for others next time you go let me know. My son and I would like to tag along. Our jeep is stock as well and my sons DD so we wouldn't be looking to take on anything really difficult but would like to get out.
I was in there about 20 years ago with a Toyota 4x4 pick-up I had at the time while camping to collect firewood but didn't venture very far into it. I did get in far enough to see a Ford 4x4 pick-up that was left there buried alive in sand and it would be nice to explore a little further.
Let me know if you wouldn't mind some extra company.
Sure. Funny, back in november there was a burried F150 left on. Saw a toyota coming to get it on our way out though.
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Ray_K85
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
WHarton is the only legal place to wheel in NJ.... there are freaks out there and you dont want to be stranded.
Should I keep an ear out for banjos?
Ray_K85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
pile_alcalineNJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

im just gonna say, wharton is a great time, from mild to wild.

just tread lightly. and have tow points front and back and a tow strap
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
dennis461
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Also the other smaller State Forests with dirt roads.
The woods are dry enough now for stock vehicles to go just about anywhere.
I'm local so I ride or wheel every weekend.
dennis461 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis461 View Post
Also the other smaller State Forests with dirt roads.
The woods are dry enough now for stock vehicles to go just about anywhere.
I'm local so I ride or wheel every weekend.
o'rly

Lesson: Go around, not the center.
This was on June 12th. JK on 5.5" and 37s. Thats me pullin him out too.
Then Right past that we Ran into some really nice peanut butter, which 3 got stuck in trying to find a way through. We also had a stock XJ with us.

It was a great day.
Unread 06-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
yellowjacket681
2002 TJ Wrangler 

haha i got stuck in the peanut butter mud haha
Unread 06-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
njfreekshow
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

thanks Brian, i feel special that you meantioned me twice my stock XJ made it through just fine this past weekend, only time i got stuck was trying to pull Brian out, failled, and then tried turning around and got caught up in some mud. i've wheeled Wharton 3 times this year, got stuck only twice in about 15 hrs of wheeling. its pretty easy to go through the area if youre alittle smart about the route you take, and if youre a bit careful.

dennis is right though, it is pretty dry out there unless you become adventurous like we did and go in the more muddy/water areas. then you can refer to the picture Brian posted about getting stuck lol it was fun nonetheless, but damn Wharton for breaking my XJ.

as for yellowjacket, you tried going through some nasty areas, peanut butter mud indeed you went through lol
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #12
yellowjacket681
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i had fun going thru that stuff and that very last one where i had to be winched out i ALMOST made it out but when you coulda jus went thru the puddle!!! oh well it aint fun till you get stuck... but i think at that time everyone wanted to head out sooo....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.