Ringwood, NJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > Ringwood, NJ

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
JerseyDubbin

Ringwood, NJ

So I as up by the Botanical Gardens/Skyline Manor in Ringwood NJ yesterday (Sunday) and saw an XJ wheeling there. I know you need a permit but I cannot find ANY information on how to obtain one. I mountain bike up there almost every weekend (when there isn't snow I'm normally Hiking) and would love to get my hands on a permit.

TIA
Phil

www.gothamtg.com
JerseyDubbin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I was up there fishing last spring and flagged down a ranger on the trail and asked him. He gave me a phone number to call and said have a nice day. The number didn't ring, it just went straight to voice mail. I left a bunch of messages and never heard back. I'd be more than happy to purchase a permit if someone would call me back, but until then...

If you're looking at it from a wheeling standpoint don't waste your time or money. I've done pretty much every trail there in a stock XJ with bald street tires and I only needed 4WD in a couple spots. There's absolutely nothing that could remotely be considered challenging. Ten years ago was a different story but after they closed it they practically paved all the trails for the bikers and hikers.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
JerseyDubbin

^^good info, I was just looking for something fun to do with the jeep while up there.

How is the fishing, I actually read a couple threads down (link to it in a min) if you buy a fishing permit you can get a permit to wheel there too.

EDIT

Found it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooch View Post
Thats awesome to hear! Are you familiar with franks tackle in ringwood? I am right down the road lol Well anyway if u go to franks tackle u can get a fishing permit for $20. and then if you go to one of the building in the ringwood manor, if your ever around i can show you its a 5min ride from my house, you go there with your permit and license and registration/insurance ask for a Brushwood acess permit. The gates are only open 8am-8pm which kinda stinks cuz i like off roading at night haha but i mean hey its legal. You can follow the cable cut path forever lol

www.gothamtg.com
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The fishing is pretty good. Lots of bass and pickerel. There's a lot of ponds scattered around, and of course bear swamp lake. I avoid Shepard's Lake because it's too crowded. I don't want to blow up my spots on the net for all to see, but email or pm me I can give you an idea of where to look. Get a NJ fishing license. That's easy ticket money for the rangers. When I was up there the ranger didn't even didn't seem to care at all that I drove up there but he was insistent on seeing my license (it was in the truck a few yards away)

I had no idea there was a b&t in ringwood. There used to be Ringwood Bait & Tackle in the shopping center g-wood lake tpk between the boat launches but that closed years ago. I'll have to go up there one day and ask them.
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
JerseyDubbin

that bait and tackle is right off 17 after auntie el's (SP?)

www.gothamtg.com
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
Tooch
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey whats up? there is some serious trails up there man. We had to tow my buddy out and get flat bed home haha. The fishing is almost done up there, the lakes aren't really stocked. I caught 5 bass between 3 lakes lol. If you have any questions pm me!

Green 4.0 5spd 4.10's, 4"rc lift, 33x12.50 bfg km2's
Tooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
TCfrom973
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i live in ringwood and im 99 percent sure that the brushwood permit mentioned above is the ONLY way to legally wheel in there. ive hiked and mtb in there alot and like he said ^, the trails are not challenging.
TCfrom973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Tooch
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yeah but for being legal its not all tooo bad. hit up the pipeline or w/e its called where the power lines run through. burnt medow is fun...but a bit risky lol

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooch View Post
hit up the pipeline or w/e its called where the power lines run through.
Yeah.. bad idea . If you're on the pipeline on the other side of RSP, you're asking for trouble. In years past, It used to be low key. If you encountered an officer and you were just up there riding responsibly and not being a jack *** shooting, drinking, dumping or burning stuff, they would tell you to have fun. Then one person told another person, that person told 2 of his buddies, one of them posted a thread on his local board, and the next thing you know half the state was up there in groups of 20-30 rigs every single weekend. Fun's over.
Unread 03-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
TCfrom973
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The pipeline is rathrr risky these days. I live on burntmeadow haha so i go back there alot. There a good range of trails. I try to stick the few legal ones ( private property). I wish nj had more places to go legAlly.
Unread 03-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
Tooch
1994 YJ Wrangler 

haha thats awesome. burnt meadow is fun, illl go maybe like 6 times a year back there...but when i do its always at night. my friends that went during the day got caught lmao. But thats why i like the start park its free..and its pretty sweet to drive through all that with no top and doors on lol its always fun hitting a decent puddle full speed...but im gonna need flares before i can do that again loll

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
TCfrom973
1996 XJ Cherokee 

At night is always safer. I need one of those passes for the state park because it sounds fun. Yeah i got no flares either haha.
Unread 03-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
Tooch
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yeah that pass is easy to get. you just need a fishing license which is like 22$ and thats it...the fishing isnt the best. but there is definitely some. but theres tons of **** to explore. my 4wd just went so im gonna try to posi lock it with the throttle cable. if its all good ill be out there saturday haha hopefully the snow melts up for some serious mud

Unread 03-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
TCfrom973
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah i am gunna get it soon. And i cannot wait for the mud <3
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #15
1995Cherokee
1995 ZJ 

Hey anyone want to get a meet together up there? I would like to try out some simple off roading before i put on my 2" BB and 31s within the next month
1995Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.