A place in South Jersey to "Pass" Inspection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > A place in South Jersey to "Pass" Inspection

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
timdastis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A place in South Jersey to "Pass" Inspection

This is not for my jeep, I should be able to pass with that with stock tires

I bought a Honda Accord as a DD a few weeks back knowing it had a problem with the CEL on - I also knew it was a knock sensor so I figured it'd be an easy fix and the guy gave me a ridiculous price on the car - I didn't really care since it drove fine and got decent MPG

Well now I realized that the engine was swapped for a JDM motor and it has no knock sensor - whoever swapped it was too dumb to switch the ecu over as well so now I'm pretty much stuck

I need to pass inspection on this and at this point will gladly pay - I just need a place that will help me get around the CEL in order to test emissions, which it should pass for - I was able to clear the CEL for a few days but I failed because the emissions testing system was "not ready"

Any input would be appreciated - I'm located in Blackwood, NJ

4" Franken Lift | 1" Daystar BL | Rancho Shocks | Iggee Seats | Cragar Soft 8s | 35" BFG MT | Yukon 4.88s | Smittybilt XRC8 Winch | AtoZ Front Bumper | Nate 4x4 Rear | KC Daylites | more to come
timdastis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
BIGJAY

so the car is 96 an up making it obd2 easy way is to get the new computer tuned they will delete the code from it
its hard to get over with 96 an up because the light has to be off in order to pass but there is a way around it give me info on car an ill check with my guy
BIGJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
timdastis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

its a 1999 Honda Accord with a f22b JDM engine

4" Franken Lift | 1" Daystar BL | Rancho Shocks | Iggee Seats | Cragar Soft 8s | 35" BFG MT | Yukon 4.88s | Smittybilt XRC8 Winch | AtoZ Front Bumper | Nate 4x4 Rear | KC Daylites | more to come
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
timdastis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

also, I'm not sure if anyone is real familiar with the inspection process in NJ, but I took it for a second time and passed for the CEL but failed for emissions because they werent ready to be tested - now that they're ready to be tested but the CEL is on, can I go just get it retested since the CEL check passed previously?

Unread 05-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
tkatc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think it will pass with the CEL. The readiness tests were not complete because you reset it. You can try resetting it again and then there is a process you can do so all the tests complete themselves....MAYBE you can run the process without having the CEL come on and get it passed.

If you look up readiness tests on google for your model...it may give you the driving sequence required for all your tests to be complete.
tkatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Having the CEL on is not an automatic fail (at least it wasn't under the old system, NJ just updated again a couple months ago). It depends what the CEL was on for. Certain "low priority" systems you could have one or two not ready / failed and still pass inspection. Emissions system obviously has to be functioning correctly as far as the computer knows in order to pass.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
ARB-XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

pull the light?
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
3vze28
1998 XJ Cherokee 

if you go back within 14 days of the first test they are only supposed to retest based upon what it failed for the first time. nothing else...
3vze28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
dennis461
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
Having the CEL on is not an automatic fail (at least it wasn't under the old system, NJ just updated again a couple months ago). It depends what the CEL was on for. Certain "low priority" systems you could have one or two not ready / failed and still pass inspection. Emissions system obviously has to be functioning correctly as far as the computer knows in order to pass.

- Justin
I think the new paper work actually states, if the CEL is on, don't come a knocking.

Here is what they have posted at NJ MVS
When you start your car, a series of dashboard warning lights flash on. That’s great – as long as none of them stay on. If your Check Engine light stays lit continuously, you need to find out what’s going on ASAP. Why? For one, your car won’t pass inspection that way. But even worse, that light could be a sign of a serious engine problem that could lead to costly repairs. But listen, before you get too worried about that light…

Do some more research, I found this

I finally did it!!! Knock sensor bypass!! Woot! Woot! - Honda-Tech
dennis461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
77j20
1977 J-Series Truck 

Do they actually hook anything up to the OBD? If not then just pull the bulb out while you get it tested. If they don't hook up to your computer like they do here in cali then they should have no way of knowing.
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
dennis461
1991 XJ Cherokee 

SOL in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77j20 View Post
Do they actually hook anything up to the OBD? If not then just pull the bulb out while you get it tested. If they don't hook up to your computer like they do here in cali then they should have no way of knowing.
In NJ, they
1. look for CEL.
2. If not lit, they hook up a diagnostic tester
3. if lit, they send you away without hooking up the tester.

My Ranger needed a new instrument panel and I put the wrong one in.
There was no CEL lit, but the diagnostic tester puts a dummy signal in to test the CEL.

I failed because it would not come on during the test.

So either way, they find it.
dennis461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
timdastis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis461 View Post
I've been trying this method for about 2 weeks now since its really my only chance of passing - I've tried it in about 6 different locations but have my fingers crossed that the place i tried yesterday will be successful

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.