The new stokes thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > The new stokes thread

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #46
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I the next couple of weeks stokes should be all opened up. We should plan to me up and go when we can get all around.

Unread 03-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #47
yellowtj101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Nothing exciting. We went up to Blue Mountain Lake first to see if we could go any further. The gate was up (the one they normally use to block the road in the winter) but from what I've heard the road is blocked with concrete barriers further down before it turns to dirt. Skyline Drive was badly washed out (it wasn't in good shape to begin with) during Hurricane Irene and hasn't been repaired yet. I know a guy who keeps a camper up at Bear Creek Campground who has exploring the Gap for years. He thinks that the Park Service is using the damage as a backdoor way to close the road to vehicular traffic. It'll be a shame if they do because Crater Lake is a great swimming spot.

We walked around Blue Mountain Lake to scope out some good Summer hangout spots. It will probably be crowded there if Crater is still closed though. There is another lake that's about two miles from Blue Mountain called Hemlock but that road is permanently closed. We ran into some guys who had spent the night there on the way.

We headed back down to Old Mine and swung through Walpack with the intention of heading into Stokes. Tillman Road was blocked (I guess for cross country skiing) and so was Mountain headed south toward Buttermilk Falls, which was weird because that's DWG/Walpack WMA property. I guess maybe it's washed out? We were going to head further into Stokes via Mountain/Brook Road heading north, but at that point my daughter was getting antsy in her carseat so we decided not to. Instead we hit Hot Dog Johnny's for lunch

Anyway, I plan to head up for the day with my BIL sometime soon with my truck to really do some trail riding. Once we figure out when we're going I'll put a post up here because it would be good to go with someone who knows some of the more out of the way places.
In some ways it good that roads is closed and some its not, for hunting it will be better but not for swimming at crater lake because you would have to carry the boat all the way there! lol

Last edited by yellowtj101; 03-05-2013 at 08:09 PM..
yellowtj101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #48
mtnbiker49

Quote:
Nothing exciting. We went up to Blue Mountain Lake first to see if we could go any further. The gate was up (the one they normally use to block the road in the winter) but from what I've heard the road is blocked with concrete barriers further down before it turns to dirt. Skyline Drive was badly washed out (it wasn't in good shape to begin with) during Hurricane Irene and hasn't been repaired yet.
You went up from Old Mine Rd? I haven't been all the way down there since they put the metal gate on CR624 just off of Old Mine Rd heading up towards Blue Mountain Lake. So, did they open it from Old Mine Rd or Skyline Dr?
mtnbiker49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #49
Badfish740

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowtj101 View Post
i too have a camper in bear creek. i know all of walpacks roads. In some ways it good that roads is closed and some its not, for hunting it will be better but not for swimming at crater lake because you would have to carry the boat all the way there! lol
We'll see if it's just a case of the wheels turning slow or the park service actually trying to close the road. I do know that repairs for anything take forever on the DWG property. Do you know why Mountain Road is gated right about here?

http://goo.gl/maps/RpTcq

I actually just thought of something-there are houses on Deer Lake (north of the 4H camp on Struble Road)-how do those folks get in and out during the winter? Do they have to get out of their cars and move the barriers each time they leave/come back? That must be annoying as hell, but I guess it's a small price to pay to live in the middle of a state forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker49 View Post
You went up from Old Mine Rd? I haven't been all the way down there since they put the metal gate on CR624 just off of Old Mine Rd heading up towards Blue Mountain Lake. So, did they open it from Old Mine Rd or Skyline Dr?
We're talking about the same gate. It's right past the Blue Mountain Lake parking area. You can't go any further than BML right now. That gate will likely be opened by April through-they close it at the first snowfall and reopen it in the Spring. However, further down the road (after it turns to dirt) they put concrete barriers up to block access to Skyline Drive/Crater Lake because of the washouts.

Last edited by Badfish740; 03-04-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #50
yellowtj101

Quote:
We'll see if it's just a case of the wheels turning slow or the park service actually trying to close the road. I do know that repairs for anything take forever on the DWG property. Do you know why Mountain Road is gated right about here?

http://goo.gl/maps/RpTcq

I actually just thought of something-there are houses on Deer Lake (north of the 4H camp on Struble Road)-how do those folks get in and out during the winter? Do they have to get out of their cars and move the barriers each time they leave/come back? That must be annoying as hell, but I guess it's a small price to pay to live in the middle of a state forest.

We're talking about the same gate. It's right past the Blue Mountain Lake parking area. You can't go any further than BML right now. That gate will likely be opened by April through-they close it at the first snowfall and reopen it in the Spring. However, further down the road (after it turns to dirt) they put concrete barriers up to block access to Skyline Drive/Crater Lake because of the washouts.
The folks by deer lake can get in and out as always, they don't put up the road block until after you pass the folks houses. for those folks to get to walpack they have to drive all the way out to 206 and go north to the other entrance
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #51
yellowtj101

That's the way to buttermilk falls im not to sure maybe my bro knows or my uncle but they always have that road open all year round, that road swings you to old mine road.They will reopen that.
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #52
sargeantbecks
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'd gone to Stokes late this past January. The usual trails I'd been on were closed off, including the way I take to Buttermilk Falls. I found some rough roads and trails around the fishing and hunting areas. I was thinking of going back within the next week or so, but I suppose I won't if things are still closed off.

There are trails with "no motor vehicle signs, hikers only" or private property but there are plenty others unmarked heavily indented with tire tracks so. From what I can tell it's pretty legal? More legal than the spots in Bergen county anyway. lol
sargeantbecks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #53
Badfish740

Assuming they get some snow up there tonight/tomorrow how much longer will the trails be closed for snow sports? Til the beginning of April?
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #54
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

they should all be open in a few weeks for sure. as long as the tail is not posted you can wheel on it in stokes. they post up where you should not be.
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #55
yellowtj101

April they should open. Trout season opens April 6 and Turkey opens April 22. The gates should be open in a few weeks, if not for trout then def for turkey.
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #56
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Snow all gone up at stokes. Should be open soon.
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #57
hammerstien
2010 JK Wrangler 

Good deal. I wonder if it'll be open this Saturday?
hammerstien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #58
cameronove

Got my fist jku (2010 Rubicon) three weeks ago. Took it up to stokes this past weekend. I was by myself, but still had a blast. Turn left off 206 right after the state forest park onto Struble Rd. Go down about a mile and there is a road on the right that will lead you into the forest. It was easy trails but I had a blast. Went back up on Sunday too.
cameronove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #59
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice. Rubicon sweet!
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #60
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So who wants to hit stokes soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.