The new stokes thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > The new stokes thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #31
yellowtj101

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerstien View Post
Lets set something up. If your willing to lead
i want to, going up there is like going back home. how we going to meet and what day? next sunday? The struble road to buttermilk will prob be closed because its not spring yet but there's still some cool trails, however the road to buttermilk is always open. Theres a really nice trail up there were the road is all uphill and torn apart will make for some nice flexing but its inside struble road...

yellowtj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
mtnbiker49

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowtj101 View Post
you don't have to tell me anything. i know the entire area like my backhand, no trouble at all, i am a hunter i care more about the environment then you think, i will never tear up any land. right now tillmans ravine is closed because of the winter. we would come through the restaurant, the italian one. i know peters valley, thunder mountain all the way till the campground and blairstown. anybody rides with me up there you must respect wildlife and the environment and stay on trail. i see plenty of bicyclists during hunting season and they think they own the road! lol

I wasn't implying anything negative towards you, by the way. I'm just telling it how it is. For someone that grew up in the area, I hate seeing the trails get torn up by a big group of jeepers and tacomas that are not even from around here. Yes, I may take a gravel "side road", but I don't do any mudding or spin my tires purposely. Plus, I don't want to see anyone get caught because that just influences the park service to block more trails. I'm more of an all-mountain/downhill mtb guy, so you won't see me riding on a dirt road. lol
mtnbiker49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #33
mtnbiker49

Quote:
i want to, going up there is like going back home. how we going to meet and what day? next sunday? The struble road to buttermilk will prob be closed because its not spring yet but there's still some cool trails, however the road to buttermilk is always open. Theres a really nice trail up there were the road is all uphill and torn apart will make for some nice flexing but its inside struble road...
You can still find places to flex on the road going from struble to brook rd. If nothing else, it's something.
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
yellowtj101

yes, you are right. I don't want to get the wrong impression between us. i just like to trail ride, im sure the rest of us here wants to. we will disrespect the land, we will stay on trail. Walpacks roads are actually in great shape. But most of them are closed because of the government, they don't want to fix them, they are hundreds years old.
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #35
mtnbiker49

Quote:
yes, you are right. I don't want to get the wrong impression between us. i just like to trail ride, im sure the rest of us here wants to. we will respect the land, we will stay on trail. Walpacks roads are actually in great shape. But most of them are closed because of the government, they don't want to fix them, they are hundreds years old.
Fixed it for you. lol
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #36
yellowtj101

oh woah, i never had meant to type that lol. thanks for the fair warning.
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #37
Badfish740

I'll be up roving around the Gap/Stokes later today with the wife, kid, and dog in tow, so I won't really be looking for any hairy stuff, just some nice rides through the woods. I know that the road to Crater Lake in the Gap is still closed but I was told that it's been opened as far as Blue Mountain Lake.
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #38
hammerstien
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowtj101
I'm right in Wayne so I'm good to go with a days notice or two. Only day I'm tied up is next Saturday. I'd like to ride for more than hr though so if trails are closed ill wait but if there's there's a good amount open now I'm in. Let me know

Tim
hammerstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #39
JerseyJeep78
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'd be interested in going too. I haven't been up there in a long time. I was up near Buttermilk falls a while back when I had my H3, but haven't been there since I got the Jeep.

Nick

Silver Jeep Owners #73
JerseyJeep78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #40
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure why if u r not a jeep guy u r posting on jeep forum. There r plenty of mountain bike forums. We r all jeep guys here. And hopefully we all take care of the land we ride on. But anyway this is a thread about getting together and wheeling in stokes and surrounding areas. Not for telling others what we can and can't do.
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #41
mtnbiker49

Quote:
Originally Posted by larjeep View Post
Not sure why if u r not a jeep guy u r posting on jeep forum. There r plenty of mountain bike forums. We r all jeep guys here. And hopefully we all take care of the land we ride on. But anyway this is a thread about getting together and wheeling in stokes and surrounding areas. Not for telling others what we can and can't do.
Well, it's because I do offroad there, and I have met up with some jeep guys there. Someone was wondering what trails were open, so I explained. I can tell others what to do since if I see someone tearing up the land there, I have no issue with calling the rangers. I'm sick of "intruders" thinking they can do whatever they please.

Of course I'm not coming off sounding too nice, but hey, if I'm going to ride in any groups, I'm not going to tolerate anything off-limits. And it's not like this is my first time on the forum...I've just been looking for people to wheel with.
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #42
yellowtj101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I'll be up roving around the Gap/Stokes later today with the wife, kid, and dog in tow, so I won't really be looking for any hairy stuff, just some nice rides through the woods. I know that the road to Crater Lake in the Gap is still closed but I was told that it's been opened as far as Blue Mountain Lake.
Sorry, i woulda came! a days notice or two would be better. Just logged on now since last night. How was it, did you go?
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #43
mtnbiker49

Quote:
Sorry, i woulda came! a days notice or two would be better. Just logged on now since last night. How was it, did you go?
Your inbox is full, fyi.
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #44
yellowtj101

thanks, i cant believe whoever runs this website makes us pay 20 dollars to have more stored messages and photo gallery...wow.
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #45
Badfish740

Quote:
Nothing exciting. We went up to Blue Mountain Lake first to see if we could go any further. The gate was up (the one they normally use to block the road in the winter) but from what I've heard the road is blocked with concrete barriers further down before it turns to dirt. Skyline Drive was badly washed out (it wasn't in good shape to begin with) during Hurricane Irene and hasn't been repaired yet. I know a guy who keeps a camper up at Bear Creek Campground who has exploring the Gap for years. He thinks that the Park Service is using the damage as a backdoor way to close the road to vehicular traffic. It'll be a shame if they do because Crater Lake is a great swimming spot.

We walked around Blue Mountain Lake to scope out some good Summer hangout spots. It will probably be crowded there if Crater is still closed though. There is another lake that's about two miles from Blue Mountain called Hemlock but that road is permanently closed. We ran into some guys who had spent the night there on the way.

We headed back down to Old Mine and swung through Walpack with the intention of heading into Stokes. Tillman Road was blocked (I guess for cross country skiing) and so was Mountain headed south toward Buttermilk Falls, which was weird because that's DWG/Walpack WMA property. I guess maybe it's washed out? We were going to head further into Stokes via Mountain/Brook Road heading north, but at that point my daughter was getting antsy in her carseat so we decided not to. Instead we hit Hot Dog Johnny's for lunch

Anyway, I plan to head up for the day with my BIL sometime soon with my truck to really do some trail riding. Once we figure out when we're going I'll put a post up here because it would be good to go with someone who knows some of the more out of the way places.
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.