The new stokes thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > The new stokes thread

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

at stokes as long as the road is not posted you can wheel on it. the ones that are marked for other uses are listed.

Unread 02-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
dewey-ox
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Stokes is closed right now to anything other than Snow Shoeing and Snowmobiles. Won't be open to vehicles for another month or so.
dewey-ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Badfish740

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey-ox View Post
Stokes is closed right now to anything other than Snow Shoeing and Snowmobiles. Won't be open to vehicles for another month or so.
I won't be looking to get out until the Spring anyway. Too cold for kiddies until then. Do they close the roads at the first snow or on a certain date? DWG used to wait until the first snowfall, but now that Skyline Drive and other roads have been closed since 2011 it's a moot point...
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
hammerstien
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740

I won't be looking to get out until the Spring anyway. Too cold for kiddies until then. Do they close the roads at the first snow or on a certain date? DWG used to wait until the first snowfall, but now that Skyline Drive and other roads have been closed since 2011 it's a moot point...
Either ill jeep an eye out for whenever someone wants to put something together. I dint see any signs and didn't really ride all that long
hammerstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Badfish740

Anybody ever venture a little further north up toward High Point? Seems like there are a few roads that crisscross the forest through there:

http://goo.gl/maps/5f9Sv

You can't tell whether they're paved or not, but even if they are I suppose there might be some trails that branch off. We went to High Point Monument last Summer and checked out the loop around Lake Marcia-nothing to see there really. I'm curious about the roads that encircle Sawmill Pond-doesn't look like there is any development there except for a dam at the south end, so it doesn't look like a scout camp or anything. There's also a powerline (or maybe pipeline) cut that runs through High Point from Deckertown Turnpike to Holiday Lake. I know those tend to be iffy, but usually it's because since they are ROWs and not utility company property, the issue is that if you are where the ROW passes through private property you are trespassing on that person's land. Not sure how the parks look at it since there are roads there anyway for utility company access?
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #21
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

well i think we can head up there in a few weeks for sure. i was up there snowmobile last week. there are still rigs out there anyway.
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
hammerstien
2010 JK Wrangler 

Keep me posted
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #23
Badfish740

Quote:
Originally Posted by larjeep View Post
well i think we can head up there in a few weeks for sure. i was up there snowmobile last week. there are still rigs out there anyway.
If you guys are OK with an old Yota pickup I'm in... I can also try to get my BIL to take his "baby" out (2010 Tacoma)-been trying to get him to go forever. I'm a "weld the rear, hack the fenders, and wheel the piss out of it" kind of guy. He's ummmm...a little more conservative As long as the trails aren't too tight (ie: pinstriping) I think I can get him to go.
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #24
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740

If you guys are OK with an old Yota pickup I'm in... I can also try to get my BIL to take his "baby" out (2010 Tacoma)-been trying to get him to go forever. I'm a "weld the rear, hack the fenders, and wheel the piss out of it" kind of guy. He's ummmm...a little more conservative As long as the trails aren't too tight (ie: pinstriping) I think I can get him to go.
I never down any vehicle ....... I never down any owner willing to follow a jeep and keep up. :-).
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
yellowtj101

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerstien View Post
This is where I went last summer but didn't find much except for dirt roads. There is an entrance off this street

95 Struble Rd
Branchville new Jersey 07826
United States
buttermilk falls eh? i know all about walpack, stokes aint far from buttermilk, i go hunting and fishin up there all year round. Theres alot up there you just have to know your way up there, i know some beaten down trails that cars or stock suvs cant go up in tillmans ravine "95 Struble Rd".

Last edited by yellowtj101; 03-02-2013 at 05:15 PM..
yellowtj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #26
hammerstien
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowtj101
buttermilk falls eh? i know all about walpack, stokes aint far from buttermilk, i go hunting and fishin up there all year round. Theres alot up there you just have to know your way up there, i know some beaten down trails that cars or stock suvs cant go up in tillmans ravine "95 Struble Rd".
Lets set something up. If your willing to lead
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm down to go whenever u guys want.
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #28
djbrett28

I was up at stokes last weekend they had it closed for tail maintnence I was told it should be open soon but didnt have a date .. going to try the pines tomorrow if anyones heading down lmk
djbrett28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #29
mtnbiker49

I'm not a jeep guy, but I will tell you all some things to save you guys some trouble. You have the big loop off of Struble Rd on the left if you are coming from 206. There are three entrances/exits to it, and two dead end roads back there also. Plenty of small rock stuff and puddles (with rocks in them, so don't go flooring it). This area is closed and should open within the next month, given there is no more snow. Though, before even getting that far down Struble, there is a rocky/downhill road on the right side that takes you down to Brook Rd. From here you can go right to CR650 or left towards Tilman Rd. Pretty tame dirt/pothole filled road with one sketchy (for a car) section if you take a right.

That's pretty much all the legal wheeling. Illegal stuff is a different story. JUST BECAUSE THERE ARE NO "NO VEHICLE" SIGNS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN DRIVE ON IT! According to a LEO, if you go off of the marked road, you are trespassing, and therefore get a hefty ticket. So, skip the big mud pits, the hill climbs, and other illegal stuff if you want to have a good time.
mtnbiker49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #30
yellowtj101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker49 View Post
I'm not a jeep guy, but I will tell you all some things to save you guys some trouble. You have the big loop off of Struble Rd on the left if you are coming from 206. There are three entrances/exits to it, and two dead end roads back there also. Plenty of small rock stuff and puddles (with rocks in them, so don't go flooring it). This area is closed and should open within the next month, given there is no more snow. Though, before even getting that far down Struble, there is a rocky/downhill road on the right side that takes you down to Brook Rd. From here you can go right to CR650 or left towards Tilman Rd. Pretty tame dirt/pothole filled road with one sketchy (for a car) section if you take a right.

That's pretty much all the legal wheeling. Illegal stuff is a different story. JUST BECAUSE THERE ARE NO "NO VEHICLE" SIGNS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN DRIVE ON IT! According to a LEO, if you go off of the marked road, you are trespassing, and therefore get a hefty ticket. So, skip the big mud pits, the hill climbs, and other illegal stuff if you want to have a good time.
you don't have to tell me anything. i know the entire area like my backhand, no trouble at all, i am a hunter i care more about the environment then you think, i will never tear up any land. right now tillmans ravine is closed because of the winter. we would come through the restaurant, the italian one. i know peters valley, thunder mountain all the way till the campground and blairstown. anybody rides with me up there you must respect wildlife and the environment and stay on trail. i see plenty of bicyclists during hunting season and they think they own the road! lol

Last edited by yellowtj101; 03-02-2013 at 08:56 PM..
yellowtj101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.