need advice from someone up north - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > need advice from someone up north

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 12-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
injunblood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

need advice from someone up north

Last winter I broke a bracket off my axle because I had a huge amount of ice build up around my suspension parts and there was no flex so something had to give. What I am needing to know is, is there any trick or tip you could give me to stop or at least slow down the ice build up around all those control arms, shocks and coils so I don't break another part?

Thanks in advance

injunblood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
1993 ZJ 

Not too much you can do. If you WD40 the heck out of it that will help prevent some of the water from sticking on but it certainly isn't a cure.
Only real answer is to make sure you periodically crawl under there and knock ice off.

-Tim
New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
www.NJFBOA.org
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
injunblood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you , that's what I was afraid of. I have heard of zip tying a plastic bag down there to deflect the water that is splashing. Seems like it could work. Maybe I'll do both ideas.

When you smell rubber burning and look out the window and see your rear axle has slid over to the point of tires hitting coils its kind of unnerving.

Any more ideas?

Thanks again.
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Try spraying your suspension down with that ice preventer fror windshield, that might work and do it periodically. You can get it at auto zone or wal mart I think

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
PhillyPyro
1998 TJ Wrangler 

it built up like that while u were wheeling?
PhillyPyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
injunblood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Last winter we had a major snow/ice storm at Christmas and I was out pullin people out of the bar ditches and fields and had to take wife to work. So running up and down the highway it built up to about the size of a volleyball around the area of the axle/shocks/coil/rear control arms.
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
CoolTrips
1979 CJ7 

Trick is to knock em off as soon as you stop. Usually can do with a broom handle. Its when the build up off snow/ice sits on the jeep for awhile it freezes hard as a rock. We call em fender burgs
CoolTrips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

I've lived in New England/NY my whole life and have never heard of this happening.
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
PhillyPyro
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I drove 24/7 in the 2 snow storms we had last year in Philly pullin people out of stuff climbing the snow plow mounds at the malls all day trips in the woods etc and never broke anything. maybe every once and a while u need to flex the suspension and it will knock itself off
PhillyPyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
cj8mike
1984 CJ8 

strangest thing i ever heard of steal verse ice? sounds like something else was going on.
Unread 12-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah I have never seen anything like that.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
injunblood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well I had to use a hammer to bust it all off. Then 4 hours of welding and using a come-a-long to get the axle recentered.......... it does happen.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will try the windshield de-icer this winter.
Unread 12-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

What I had to do for my plants back when I lived the the parents (In south ga) when the two freezes a year hit, was to throw a tarp over them and put a space heater in their. It works really well to keep it warm. But I guess you could only do that when you are parked at your place.

07 WK Limited: 4.7, QT-II
CGrugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
JSahara00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If this happens again I would like to see some picture... I never had an issue with it.. but it could be our new england vehicles are layered with so much salt... damn salt
00 TJ, OME shocks, all currie control arm, OME steering damper, Brown dog MML, VIAIR OBA with 2 quick disconnects at the doors, jks quick discos, Kolak exhaust, 30 spline D30 w/ ARB and 4:56, 8.8 w/ super 88 and ARB, home made F/R bumpers and tire carrier,OME zj front springs and OME Lj rear springs, CB w/ firestick, DIY highline fenders/hood, 35 pro comp mud terrains, cragar soft 8s .. .

95 XJ 4.0 4x4 Auto, V8 ZJ steering linkage
JSahara00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.