Looking for local legal wheelin trails in North Jersey - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > Looking for local legal wheelin trails in North Jersey

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
Drastiq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for local legal wheelin trails in North Jersey

Anyone?

Currie, Poison Spyder, OME, Cragar, Smittybilt, Precision, Rustys, Teraflex[/SIZE][/CENTER]
-
[B]SOLD[/B] 1994 YJ, OD Green. 4" RC. 2" BL. 2" SL. 1" MML 35" MTZ.
[B]SOLD[/B] 1998 TJ, Red, Stock, 161k, 5sp, 6cyl.
Drastiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
ShellyMisfit

Oak Ridge in Sparta
Buckabear Trail (off off Clinton Road in New Milford)
GreenPond

*It's not illegal unless you get caught
Unread 09-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
PAULIEMAN
1990 XJ Cherokee 

wharton state park
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Drastiq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

wharton is no where near north jersey hahah
Currie, Poison Spyder, OME, Cragar, Smittybilt, Precision, Rustys, Teraflex[/SIZE][/CENTER]
-
[B]SOLD[/B] 1994 YJ, OD Green. 4" RC. 2" BL. 2" SL. 1" MML 35" MTZ.
[B]SOLD[/B] 1998 TJ, Red, Stock, 161k, 5sp, 6cyl.
Drastiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drastic View Post
wharton is no where near north jersey hahah
Depends on where you are comparing to. Its close compared to Florida

Whartone is the only legal wheeling in NJ, except for private land that is yours or your buddies.
Unread 09-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There isnt any legal wheeling in north jersey so plan on mking trips to rc or wharton

Quote:
*It's not illegal unless you get caught
Thats a very stupid attitude to have and goodluck trying to avoid min $400 fines and getting your heep impounded.
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:10 AM   #7
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post
There isnt any legal wheeling in north jersey so plan on mking trips to rc or wharton

Thats a very stupid attitude to have and goodluck trying to avoid min $400 fines and getting your heep impounded.
Both IMO, are worth the trip.

and x2, plus just getting jeepers another bad rep for illegal wheelin.
Unread 09-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
chelesjeep10

whats the easiest way to get wharton from the george washington bridge
chelesjeep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
dennis461
1991 XJ Cherokee 

no way

Nothing down here, stay on your side of the GW bridge

or

Get a Joisey map from Snooki and look for the green areas.

There is stuff north of Wharton.

dennis461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
ZachAttack923
1997 TJ Wrangler 

there is
stokes state forest which is just dirt roads and is some easy stuff
there are some other places that i cannot remember there names but i had to stop at the ranger station and by showing my fishing license he gave me a map of all the trails that lead to all of the lakes and such, those trails vary from easy dirt roads to deep mud

there are places that i know of and i will not go as they are illegal and i would hate to get a fine
2.5L Low Output #923
White Jeep Club #923
1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L AX-5 D30/35 4.10 gears
31in Wildcat A/T's
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_niko View Post
I would be as nervous as a virgin on prom night if I had to drive that
ZachAttack923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
Whartone is the only legal wheeling in NJ, except for private land that is yours or your buddies.
Not true Brian, as others have pointed out. Wharton may be the only legal place in NJ that offers a huge selection of trails from mild to wild, but it's far from the only legal public land to wheel on. Most state parks have dirt roads running all through them, and all are perfectly legal to drive on. Some are maintained better than others, so there won't be as much of a challenge there.

Here's a few pics from a trip I took a couple years ago with a friend in Collier's Mills State Park (right off of Rt. 539, around the corner from New Egypt Speedway):

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

New Jersey State Parks and Forests and Wildlife management areas.

By law we are only allowed to travel on the the "established trail". There is no definition of the established trail. There are no maps available up to this date particularly tell you which trails you are allowed to drive on which you are not. This is a huge problem which allows State Park Police and Conservation Officers the ability to enforce laws by OPINION. For instance most people know the problems we are encountering in Wharton. One particular area looks like a 100 foot wide road with a bunch of puddles in it but was actually at one time a grassy swamp.. To the untrained eye a person may belive that they are traveling down an "established trail" when they really are not. This is all a huge grey area and you risk the chance of being fined. remember take out what you brought in and maybe a little more.
mudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

During the last wheeling trip, we used the roads in Wharton that were on the GPS to find where we wanted to go so I guess you could argue that you are traveling on the established road.
Unread 09-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigX View Post
During the last wheeling trip, we used the roads in Wharton that were on the GPS to find where we wanted to go so I guess you could argue that you are traveling on the established road.
I'd hate to say it, but call up the NJDEP and see if a GPS provides nothing but "established trails", they will say NO. Some roads on a GPS don't even exist or havent existed since the 50s. The road I live on a GPS shows it continuing over the Great Egg harbor River and into Hammonton, but if you go to the river there isn't even a trace of may have been a road or briodge there. Please don't take it I'm arguing with you I'm just stating the facts that alot of people don't know. When it's yourself vs the DEP you know whos going to win. I believe i finally got people convinced we need a commonly available map that is available on the internet and at teh ranger stations that shows nothing but legal roads. If that happens there is no grey areas, if you are off of the "mapped trail" you can now be fined with out any discrepancy. there will be no guess work BS. The other thing I'm working my hardest for is not to have the trails limited to your main access trails and thats it. I should have no problem defending that though, because at that point it would effect Hunters,Fishers, birdwatchers, herpers, photographers, paddlers and ourselves.
mudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Colliers Mills is legal to wheel at as long as you respect the land and stay on the trails. There are plenty of pits to rip around in too as long as your there during the day. It is NOT allowed during the night time and there is a hefty fine for it. Lots of good fishing out there too
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.