Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Legal Off Road Parks in NJ

45K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  mudboy 
#1 ·
Can we make a list of the legal off road parks in New Jersey and where are are located? Maybe even make it a sticky? I'm sure myself and others would appreciate it. Almost all of my parts are in for my Jeep and I started to build her up yesterday.

#8 ·
As mentioned above. We have no parks. Our one park that we had the lease ran out on. It was not 4x4 based, it was mainly ATVs (Racing), the only 4x4 stuff was a stadium truck track. legal trails are hard to put down on paper due to the state doesn't even know what trails are legal and what are not.
As far as clubs go you New Jersey Jeep Association, Grassroots, Iron in the pines Misfits 4x4(these 4 are out of south jersey) you have Got Mud in Central and up north you have North Jersey Jeep Club along with another one that I can't remember. There are a lot of smaller clubs as well

#9 ·
I'm working on becoming a member of the Jersey Jeepers. I was just hoping there was a list for parks or trails to go to. Unfortunately I work most weekends which makes going during the week my best option but most people can only go on weekends.

#10 ·
im a former member of north jersey jeep club and the highpoint mudslingers(majority of the members are now of Jersey Jeepers) both clubs mainly wheel on the weekends at rausch. when highpoint was together there was a few trail rides at stokes. nothing crazy as far as wheelin but its a nice ride through trails with friends.

#11 ·
Pretty much all of the trails within this state are one of three catergories. State owned (State Parks), WMA ( Wildlife management area, Private property.
State Parks such as Wharton or Brendon Byrne, or Sokes are tax payer paid and you are allowed to drive on roads that they deem roads. Some of these "roads" can be challenging terrain, alot are no more than unimproved dirt roads. The same rules for the highways apply within the state parks ( title 39). The "rangers" that patrol these grounds are actually New Jersey State Park Police. They hold the same authority as a state trooper trooper. On top of title 39 you have NJ Divison of Parks and Forestry regs as well. they can be found here: http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/rules/njac7_2.pdf. There is no map in existence of exactly what trails are legal to transverse and which are not. No... your GPS is not a valid map. Even though GPS's show trails to pretty good detail (depending on software), that does not make them legaL or not.

NJWMA's are legal to be in from Dawn til dusk. Here is a list of every WMA http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/wmaland.htm if you click on the name of the WMA there is a map for every one of them. Once again these maps are not legal proof of where you can and cannot be. Title 39 regs also apply out here as well.

Private property, obviously you need to have permission granted to be on their property.

All of New Jersey land has these rules that apply:
http://www.nj.gov/dep/landuse/njsa_njac.html

I have contacted numerous people within the state that play key roles and not one of them can give you a definitive answer of where you can and cannot drive. They won't touch this with a 10 foot pole. This is where wheeling in Jersey sucks if you are trying to be legit because there is no definition opf legit, it is all up to law enforcements opinionated guess as to where you can and cannot be.
For the most part if you stay on trails that appear commonly used and they are not marked "No Motor Vehicles" with a sign you will be fine. If you see a cool mudhole off to the side of the trail or a set of ruts into a grassy swampy meadow, youre not supposed to be there and you are facing the possibilty of numerous fines equaling over $1000. If your vehicle dos not match proper inspection requirements you could be facing inpoundment as well. Also by no means do not let law enforcement see you or a pic of you on top of any vegatation, even if it appears to be just weeds, it could be endangered and it will cause world war III.
Oh yeah, the reason I have put forth this much research is due to the fact that. I do not have the time nor money to be going to Rausch several times a wekk, plus I like to wheel during the night time hours which I cannot do at Rausch. With that said. I still can't wait to0 get back out to Rausch for a change of scenery.

#12 ·
^^ Are you allowed to be in the back of Mennantico? I was leaving there and got pulled over by a police Excursion before I was even back on the highway and got a ticket for swimming. He told me I needed a permit to be back there. Is that true?

THere is an official Mennanitco WMA sign and there are clear dirt roads I was wondering what reasons you ARE allowed back there? Its a really nice lake

#13 ·
Menatico , you are allowed into. However the big pit area you are not allowed into. As far as I know the only trail you are allowed on back there is the main trail off of 49, the rest are all off limits, this is mainly due to the morons that used to frequent this place.

#20 ·
D0dgeRam1500 said:
I'm working on becoming a member of the Jersey Jeepers. I was just hoping there was a list for parks or trails to go to. Unfortunately I work most weekends which makes going during the week my best option but most people can only go on weekends.
I think I have heard of somewhere in NJ to ride. Let me know if interested.

#23 ·
Just saying. I don't want to hear anyone crying the blues when they end up giving ya legit tickets. It's also another one of the places people need to keep their mouth shut about on the internet or you end up with burnt cars and everything else. Plus when authority see it being talked about as a good wheeling spot, guess what happens next. If I remember correctly we all just had to go through this with the mron magnet.....I mean 1/4 mile lol. People don't know how to keep their pictures and vids to themselves and wahlah you got 100 people a weekend going through their which 80% turn out to be idiots then it gets closed and people whine about it and wonder why?????????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.