how's everyone make out during the storm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > how's everyone make out during the storm?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

how's everyone make out during the storm?

I know theres a couple of you down the shore, just hoping you guys are all ok!

gcan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
jeepgoonie
1998 ZJ 

I'm in North Jersey and going on 77 hours with no power. going to pick a generator up from my boss tomorrow if I don't have power in the morning
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
daveWK42
2008 WK 

stayed on the island...we got really lucky. lots of flooding, but none in the house, no cars ruined (my sister's ford fiesta was removed to the mainland), though it was a near thing. my bro-in-law's honda element got bogged down in the yard when he tried to move it to higher ground during monday's low tide. so i put the WK to work:

it's the first recovery i've done w/ it & it didn't bat an eyelid. just drove right away, element in tow. i was pretty stoked on that...anyone who says modern jeeps can't keep up or compete w/ the classics can go pound sand, IMO.
monday night's high tide was a bit sketchy...quite a bit higher than monday morning's...water barely hit my tires in the AM, but came up to the trim on the doors that night:

no water inside, though, & it started up just like a charm. thank god for the 2" daystar BB!

hers: 2013 patriot sport
his: 2008 grand cherokee laredo
daveWK42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
dennis461
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Trying to help out Lavern in Atlantic City: Durango had water halfway up the seat backs, most likely totaled. XJ had water up to bottom of seats, may be salvagable. No electricity at her house yet. Has to return a loaner car tomorrow.
dennis461 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
themadhatter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

finally got power and water back late last night. minimal property damage that any DIYer can do without too much effort. buddy of mine is a State Trooper, the things he has seen while at the shore on duty will break anyone's heart.
themadhatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
smitty5150

I was one of the lucky ones that stayed on an island. First high tide got water in the front yard, second high tide put about a foot in my garage. Jeep stayed dry, never lost power. This ever happens again, I will evacuate.....that was a once in a lifetime thing for me.
smitty5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
daveWK42
2008 WK 

smitty, where in oc are you? sounds like you got lucky, like me.

hers: 2013 patriot sport
his: 2008 grand cherokee laredo
daveWK42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
smitty5150

I am on 22nd & Asbury. I think I could see the only dry land from my back deck. Looks like you are either north or south end?
smitty5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Star

I'm from Staten Island, and my house is raised because of it's proximity to the water. During the the water started coming up the block, and we decided to get out. We had to do some deep water crossing , and even drove around other stuck vehicles. The house is mostly ok, but sustained a couple thousand in damage. The Jeep is fine, but needs the hinges oiled badly. The power is finally back, and mostly everyone is helping each other which is nice to see.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
mrk130
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This thread is a little old but the hurricane is one reason why I have a Jeep now. I figured I'd share how I got here.
I live in Little Ferry. You may have seen Little Ferry and Moonachie on the news. We had unexpected flooding. There were a lot of rescues and even an AP picture of my GF and myself. My Subaru WRX STI flooded up into the instrument cluster, about 3 feet or so.
Ill miss that car but its time for something a bit different. I wound up finding a 2005 Wrangler Rocky Mountain Edition with a 3 inch suspension lift and I have owned for just over a week now. I wont be getting flooded now.
mrk130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #11
jeepgoonie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk130 View Post
This thread is a little old but the hurricane is one reason why I have a Jeep now. I figured I'd share how I got here.
I live in Little Ferry. You may have seen Little Ferry and Moonachie on the news. We had unexpected flooding. There were a lot of rescues and even an AP picture of my GF and myself. My Subaru WRX STI flooded up into the instrument cluster, about 3 feet or so.
Ill miss that car but its time for something a bit different. I wound up finding a 2005 Wrangler Rocky Mountain Edition with a 3 inch suspension lift and I have owned for just over a week now. I wont be getting flooded now.
Sup mark.. Its Steve from work. Welcome to the forum!
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Star

Quote:
Congrats on your Jeep purchase Mark read your manual, and remember where on the truck the water fording limit is. I keep getting in a bit deep, and I better slow down before I drown her.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Had no power for 8 days and I didn't get to make out with anyone.
New Jersey Jeep Association
MuddyJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
This thread is a little old but the hurricane is one reason why I have a Jeep now .... a 2005 Wrangler Rocky Mountain Edition with a 3 inch suspension lift and I have owned for just over a week now. I wont be getting flooded now.
Don't kid yourself, buddy. I'm the Lavern that Dennis spoke of earlier in this thread. My Cherokee has 7" lift & 33" tires. It took on water inside filling the floor pans ... and it was parked on the street where everyone else used to bring their cars when we expected flooding. So it was a little higher up.

Like he said, my Durango was totaled. I'm still hoping to wrk out the electrical issues in the XJ (most of which are pre-flood). Still don't know if the XJ will have a long life after this. Next time the weatherman says anything above "normal" hi tide flooding, I'm gone!

Sorry all, I know this thread is old but I haven't been on here since the storm.
Red Jeep Club Member #425
"Mud is evil."
Cherokeegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.