Getting a trailer w/o title. how hard? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > Getting a trailer w/o title. how hard?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Getting a trailer w/o title. how hard?

found a 6x10 trailer I'd like to pick up if it's still avail and fix it up for my dad..but the post says no title..

how much/hard will it be if no registration or title is on hand from the guy?

can I say it's home made?

sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenscrew
found a 6x10 trailer I'd like to pick up if it's still avail and fix it up for my dad..but the post says no title..

how much/hard will it be if no registration or title is on hand from the guy?

can I say it's home made?
Subbed curious to the answer

Sent from my EVO 4G using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

welp, the owner told me that he has a few trailers.. and all he does is get a junkyard to write a receipt saying he bought an axle/wheels etc from them and shows the dmv the receipt. and then he just says he made it himself and fabbed the frame.
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
gtimms

Works yes & no. DMV will want to see a receipt for the materials true. They will issue a "Homemade" trailer title. The only issue with that is if it is clearly a manufactured trailer and you get stopped, then you have issues if the officer wants to press the issue. Even more so if he runs any VIN that may be on the trailer and it comes up a hit.
My two cents.
gtimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

well this wouldnt be happening now until christmas maybe alittle past, because thats when I am getting a decent welder. So basically, im just going to buy a 200 buck trailer or something, strip it down to maybe the axle, and build a bigger trailer or even put a new axle or something under it. the whole idea was to just get a junk trailer for the title.
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
gtimms

If you are going to buy one, strip it to the axle & then buy a new axle, that would just be building a new trailer, at which point just take whatever receipts you have for materials to MVC and get a homemade trailer title. Done.
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
JERSEY5.0YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yea if you r planning to pay 200 then strip and get new axle,I would just get new axle with that comes with springs and spindle from tractor supply for like $160 believe .and start fresh n build to your specs.and u will have all receipt to register as homemade.
JERSEY5.0YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

True, idk what i was thinking, thanks guys! how strict does it have to be as in alignment, like tracking straight behind the vehicle etc. will making everything mirror imaged be just fine? .
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
gtimms

Should be. No rules as far as that goes. As long as its registred and "road worthy". Have you seen some people's trailers? They look like some scrap wood nailed together and some stroller wheels.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.