Gear Swap in south jersey - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > Gear Swap in south jersey

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
tattooed856
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Gear Swap in south jersey

Does anyone know of a reputable shop in south jersey that will do a gear swap without breaking the bank? One place I contacted wanted $500 per rear just for labor, seems high to me.

tattooed856 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

that sounds about right to me.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Demolition_x
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I second that. Seems right on.

If you bring just an axle to most places it will save you some money in labor.
Demolition_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
tattooed856
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Damn it just seems a little pricey to me, to swap out ring and pinion. I guess I'm gona have to bite the bullet, I would do it myself but I do not feel confident setting up the gears...
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check out Globex Performance in Toms River. About 40 minutes from you. Should get a better price then that.
New Jersey Jeep Association
MuddyJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

get a hold of Tim at Liquid Iron Industries. his shop is in west berlin, not far from you. he does installs for 300 with the axle still under the jeep, or 250 with the axle out of the jeep.

he rebuilt my dana 30 for me back in september

if anyone tells you to go to campers bobs, turn around. they charged me for timken master install kit, and a year later the axle blew. Tim kept the bearings to show me when i picked it up after he rebuilt it ..they were some cheap chinese white box brand. they wouldnt warrenty my parts or give me any type of refund for the parts i paid for but didnt get.
lilnapsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
4x4builder1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
get a hold of Tim at Liquid Iron Industries. his shop is in west berlin, not far from you. he does installs for 300 with the axle still under the jeep, or 250 with the axle out of the jeep.

he rebuilt my dana 30 for me back in september

if anyone tells you to go to campers bobs, turn around. they charged me for timken master install kit, and a year later the axle blew. Tim kept the bearings to show me when i picked it up after he rebuilt it ..they were some cheap chinese white box brand. they wouldnt warrenty my parts or give me any type of refund for the parts i paid for but didnt get.
Ya beat me to it, I was just over there last week some real talent over there.
4x4builder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
tattooed856
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I will check him out, I never went to camper bobs in the 80's and still will never go now.
Unread 03-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
tattooed856
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The dude on the phone from Liquid Iron said thay do not do gear swaps on something that will be driven on the street. What the heck is up with that, they do it for off road but not both??
Unread 03-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

When setting up gears it is important that you have a good quality R&P set. some of these sets you gotta sorta wing it and cant get a good pattern out of. Also setting em up to run on the road involves the job being alot more precise. I'd appreciate their honesty because most shops will tell you ,yeah they can do, and they believe they actually can. but when in reality their really off spec.
mudboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
tattooed856
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I sent Tim at liquid iron an email and he told me that they do gear swaps and the price was 300 in labor per rear. That's the cheapest price I got. I don't know if he warranties the work or the quality of the work. He also uses the USA gears and I have never heard of them. I have to talk to him about that.
Unread 03-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed856 View Post
The dude on the phone from Liquid Iron said thay do not do gear swaps on something that will be driven on the street. What the heck is up with that, they do it for off road but not both??
i wasnt told that when tim did my front end on my DD. pretty sure he knew i drove it everyday also. i havent had any issues and its been about 6 months. i checked the patern when i got the axle back and it looked good also.
lilnapsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

setting up a rear properly is no small feat. 300 a pop is a very fair price imo.
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
MadBenny
2013 JK Wrangler 

Check out PBJ in Tabernacle on Rt 206 (http://pinebarrenjeeps.com/). I brought my jeep there and their very reasonable.
MadBenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
i wasnt told that when tim did my front end on my DD. pretty sure he knew i drove it everyday also. i havent had any issues and its been about 6 months. i checked the patern when i got the axle back and it looked good also.
thats also a front which has no load on it 90% of the time
mudboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.