Common sense - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > Common sense

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Common sense

Stay out of the woods if you don't have a fire extinguisher or at least someone in the group does. Unexpected crap happens and in the state of NJ or as a wheeling community in general we can't take anymore hits. Those who know what I'm talking about I will give you an extinguisher if you can't afford teh couple of bucks they cost at walmart. If winches/ lift kits/ tires can be afforded so can a extinguisher.

mudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
sherminator866
2006 LJ Wrangler 

good point, the little bit of money isnt worth either ruining your expensive rig, or destroying the forest for it. good advice.
sherminator866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Actually the forest around here (Pine barrens) thrives on fire. It needs it to stay pines and not oaks. I understand accidents happen, we have all been there and done that and unfortunately there was an accident local to here which ended with unfortunate results. I feel for the individual who lost his rig. Not all accidents , but this one, could be prevented with minor precautions. Hopefully everything turns out ok and they learn from ther mistakes.
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
melcrim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dave...common sense and wheelin don't work in the same sentence!! If we had any we would all find a cheaper hobby.

But you are definitely right. I think I got one at Walmart in the boat section for about $12. I didn't have to use it while wheelin though...I needed when I set my Jeep on fire trying to heat up a stuck bolt.

Make sure when your buying one you get one that that can withstand freezing temperatures. I made that mistake and ended up with a useless one.
melcrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

BLEHHHH!!!!! The whole reason of making money is to spend it right? we only live once!!
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
MuckSavage
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Good Point Mudboy. Can I add something? Okay, Thanks.

Make sure the said fire extinguisher is charged (look at the guage) and MOUNTED in a place you can access it. Burried in the bottom of a tool/gear bag won't help you when seconds count!
'81 CJ7; 258, T5, 3:73, locked F & R, Superwinch S9000, a Rusty mess.

'96 XJ Classic. Detours Backbone, Superwinch S9000,
Rusty's 2" BB, 31" General Grabber AT2's, Rusty's BPE, rear Power Trax No-Slip.

Just geocaching thru the Jersey Pines.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

And replace those powder ones every couple years... I've had several that didn't work, once when I actually wanted to use it to put out an engine compartment fire for an RV stranded 10 miles from the nearest exit in GA. *doh*
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
gotmudnj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It would of been provented besides that if other wheelers listened. I know the individual that it happened to and he wasnt even wheeling. He got a phone call for some person needed his help...He went down their to help and this happened. Yes a fire extingusher would of helped but it could of been prevented if other would listen on how to wheel...he warned them not to go without proper equipment and this happened to him he payed the ultimate price on other peoples fault.....
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
HELMET
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Over 30 years ago, I found out that I had no idea how to wire in spot lights.( FUSE, use a FUSE you dip stick ) The smoke and flames that were shooting out from under the dash was my first clue. I also learned that it is very hard to stomp out a 1967 scout that is on fire while driving down the road. I did get the fire out by burning my hands while ripping out all of the under dash wiring.

I have put a good fire extinguisher in every vehicle I have owned since. I have had to use them a few times but never on my own junk.

Strap it in were you can get to it fast and easy.
HELMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 04:48 AM   #10
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmudnj View Post
It would of been provented besides that if other wheelers listened. I know the individual that it happened to and he wasnt even wheeling. He got a phone call for some person needed his help...He went down their to help and this happened. Yes a fire extingusher would of helped but it could of been prevented if other would listen on how to wheel...he warned them not to go without proper equipment and this happened to him he payed the ultimate price on other peoples fault.....
Bottom line, Fire extinguishers should be carried. I bet 80-90% of the official clubs in this country require a fire extinguisher once they hit the trail. Accidents happen, and I feel bad about this, but maybe others can learn from all of their mistakes. I'd consider a Fireextinguisher proper equipment in any wooded area where you have any source of heat to the extent of a vehicle.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.