can someone help me install a part in central NJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > can someone help me install a part in central NJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
NjzfinestG

can someone help me install a part in central NJ?

hey guys

last week i installed a tps on my 01 WJ limited. it thru a cel. i dont think i installed it right. WJ would stall at lights so i brought it to a mechanic and said tps was not the cause of my idle problem so he took it out n put the oem back in and cleared the code. i followed the diy but i dont think i put it in right or something for it to throw a code and make my jeep stall at a light.

i would like to replace my tps and possibly change my iac maybe since im experiencing a high idle again at park.

can someone help me out for a little cash and a 6 pack? lol

i know its pretty easy install but i screwed it up the first time so i want someone with knowlegde of these jeeps to help me out.

im in freehold, nj but will meet up.

NjzfinestG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

What code was it throwing?
Unread 10-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
NjzfinestG

im not even sure. i dropped it off at the shop and i had to leave since i had work and came back the next day when the car was all done.
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Ah.... my scanners on loan to a friend right now, but IMO i wouldn't go throwing a TPS in there just because of an idle issue. You can easily check the TPS funcion with a basic scanner (which im guessing your tech did when he told you it wasn't causing your problem).

Did the mechanic try to troubleshoot the idle issue at all? Where did you bring it?
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
NjzfinestG

he said that since i have a bad evap and it leaked all the freon out that the ac compressor was kicking on n off causing it to idle high. he filled the freon n he said it stopped but would happen again when all the freon leaks out again.

seems liek when i had the tps in those idle was perfect at 700rpms n from what iv been reading changing that fixes about all the common problems of a bad tps

meineke
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

If you have your A/C and defroster off, do you still have the idle issue? The compressor only kicks on/off when the AC or defroster is in use.
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
NjzfinestG

yea happens when its off.
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

I think your mechanic may have the possibility of being a moron. As stated above the compressor only kicks on with A/C on and or Defrost on. Take a run to adavance or auto zone or whereever and get your codes read. Without knowing exactly what the issue is time's just getting pissed away. If you honestly believe that the TPS has an issue with it you should be able to take a voltage reading off of it and that will tell you if it's any good and if it's installed properly.

I'm almost willing to bet that the code was a evap code not meaning evaporator but evap system which is ran under vacuum causing a vacuum leak. These wjs are famous for evap leaks. Both of my parents have had problems with them.
As i said though, if the check engine light is back on take it somewhere on your way home from work or something and see what the code is
mudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
NjzfinestG

it was weird. i had no code then when i put the tps in the thru a code. n then the mechanic put the oem one in and cleared it and code never came back.

thats y i want some xpert input from ppl who actually know jeeps
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

I'm pretty decent and can handle my own but by no means am i a certified tech.
mudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

ill let you know when i get my scanner back and ill take a look... im about 10 minutes south of freehold

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.