Camping Sites in NJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > Camping Sites in NJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Camping Sites in NJ

Hey guys, I'm planning a camping trip mid-July and was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice campground. Preferably somewhere alcohol is not prohibited (I'm not an alcy or anything, just enjoy having some cocktails when I camp without getting hassled). Maybe some mild trails and scenery would be cool too. Thinking of also doing a cabin this time around being its my girlfriends first time camping.

Unread 06-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

All state parks are dry- I've never been hassled while camping because we aren't morons about it (and have rarely gone camping without, lol), but i HAVE seen groups kicked out for being obnoxious, diesel-fuel-on-the-bonfire, hooting-n-hollering at midnight drunks. Just take plastic cups, you'll be fine.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...s/wharton.html
the cabins at Atsion are literally 2 minutes from the main trails everyone uses when they go back in Wharton. There's also primitive camping, as well as camping with water and flushies right along the same road, with lake access to swimming (bring a canoe!)
My personal favorite is Bodine Field, you can camp on the Wading river, put an inner tube in at your campsite, and after about an hour-n-a-half climb out and walk 10 minutes back to your site. There's lots of rope swings on the way down river, too. it's primative, though- outhouses and a water pump. Maybe not so good for a first time camper. It IS only a 15 minuted drive to Batsto village, though, which is fun if you are a history buff!
Other than that, just about any spot in Wharton you find a primative campground, you are right on easy wheeling trails. at the end of July in the Pines, though, the greenheads get real bad. We were actually gonna hit Bodine the weekend of the 19th, after that it's not so friendly.

there's also www.wadingpines.com , down actually next to Bodine (and another primative campground). you'll pay way more for the same exact area, but it might help to take a first-timer someplace with water and electric on hand, and real bathrooms you can walk too.
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
rayko
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There are cabins along Atison Lake off Rt 206 in the Pinelands. Don't know what it cost to rent them but they are pretty cool.
rayko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
dennis461
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayko View Post
There are cabins along Atison Lake off Rt 206 in the Pinelands. Don't know what it cost to rent them but they are pretty cool.
Forget them, all booked up for the season on the first day every year.

Bass river or Bellplain has one room cabins I think.
dennis461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Ibanez0154

Winding river campground in mays landing.
Ibanez0154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
njjeep12
2000 WJ 

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...s/camping.html

Here's a list with all descriptions. Unfortunately your not going to find an alc. permitted campground.. Every time my fiancÚ and I went we brought solo cups and had no problems . Recommend Wharton w/ atison but they do fill up fast. Also Round Valley Reservoir is a great place.
njjeep12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

Parvin Park in Vineland has nice cabins, on a fishing/ canoeing lake. No idea where you can wheel down there, though. BUT the drive in movies are pretty close to there, might make it worth the weekend!
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.