Bass River State Forest trails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > Bass River State Forest trails?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Badfish740

Bass River State Forest trails?

I'm heading down to Bass River SF in two weeks for some camping with two buddies. We're planning on getting down there early and doing some four wheeling/exploring because we can't check in/setup camp until 2:00 p.m. Obviously there are plenty of roads to explore-my one buddy has a stock Wrangler (newer, but not sure what year) with all seasons, but I've got a Toyota pickup with a mild lift and 32" MTs. Any roads we should seek out/avoid or any cool sights to see (ghost towns, abandoned cranberry bogs, etc...)? I've been to Wharton a few times via the Atsion Ranger Station entrance but never made it down as far as Bass River, so it's all new territory for me.

Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Badfish740

Wow...145 views and no one has any Bass River trail info? Just checking out some topo maps of the area shows a lot of unpaved roads in the area, of course some of them might more like walking trails by now, especially if no one 'wheels it regularly. I loaded up my GPS with some detailed LIDAR maps so hopefully we'll find some good spots. I'll post some pictures when I get back.
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

that would be great. I bet most, like myself viewed your post to se if anyone replied! Lets us know anything thanks, bro
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
cormizer
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hey guys me and my buddies go down there all the time but I know it's a great spot .. Trail info I never lead so I don't know much besides if you get off the Gsp at exit 58 take poor man parkway ( it's a roads name real name ) then turn right on to stage road you will come to a trail on the right before bass rivers like main area you cut in there is all fire roads and stuff back there cause there are gun clubs out there .. But keep an eye out for posted signs just don't turn on those roads lol ... Stock jeeps can handle it very well we have a stock Toyota tocoma lead and he makes it just water holes can get deep so be smart and test it first ....there is a big open play ground out there that hills and a lake (fresh water) jumps for tabs and dirt bikes ... But I have drove past cops out there before they don't do anything unless your being a d bag ( keep in mind not all cops are laid back)
cormizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Badfish740

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormizer View Post
Hey guys me and my buddies go down there all the time but I know it's a great spot .. Trail info I never lead so I don't know much besides if you get off the Gsp at exit 58 take poor man parkway ( it's a roads name real name ) then turn right on to stage road you will come to a trail on the right before bass rivers like main area you cut in there is all fire roads and stuff back there cause there are gun clubs out there.
We're coming from Northwest Jersey (Hunterdon County) so we avoid the Parkway like the plague We'll be coming in off of Stage Road-the campground is right there just east of Lake Absegami. I have a Garmin Nuvi with topos loaded for the entire state so I loaded some routes heading northeast toward the Warren Grove Bombing Range/Wharton. The topos go back to the 1930s and even the later revisions will show the original roads and trails. Whether they're still passable is another story. I don't mind 'pinestriping" but my buddy's Jeep is fairly new and a DD so we'll have to choose our routes carefully.

Quote:
But keep an eye out for posted signs just don't turn on those roads lol ... Stock jeeps can handle it very well we have a stock Toyota tocoma lead and he makes it just water holes can get deep so be smart and test it first ....
LOL...yep, been there done that. In my younger days I used to four wheel around Colliers Mills a lot.

Quote:
there is a big open play ground out there that hills and a lake (fresh water) jumps for tabs and dirt bikes ... But I have drove past cops out there before they don't do anything unless your being a d bag ( keep in mind not all cops are laid back)
Sounds like you're talking about 1/4 mile which is further north-I heard that's off limits entirely these days from the a-holes who were partying and destroying s--- out there. We're not looking for mud or claypits to rut up-we're looking to take some nice rides through the woods and get to some places that no one has been in a while. There are lots of ruins back there if you know where to look.
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
cormizer
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like you're talking about 1/4 mile which is further north-I heard that's off limits entirely these days from the a-holes who were partying and destroying s--- out there. We're not looking for mud or claypits to rut up-we're looking to take some nice rides through the woods and get to some places that no one has been in a while. There are lots of ruins back there if you know where to look.[/QUOTE]

See I no where your talking about that's by the land fill yes that's a no fly zone ... Where I was no clay just sand n dirt
cormizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you are coming down here by going south on the GSP get off at exit 58. Turn right on CR539. When you see the first paved road on your right that will be about 500' from the GSP exit turn left into the dirt road on your left and have at it . You can go south to Harrisville falls and a number of other areas all from that entrance .

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.