Apple Pie Hill in NJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > Apple Pie Hill in NJ

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've never been down over there and usually don't spend much time in jersey in general, but what are these towers like. is it stairs heading up to some observation booth or something. Can it be closed off with some wire mesh to keep any tv's inside ? Just an idea.

Unread 11-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

TOWER:

VIEW FROM TOWER:
mudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yeah that would be a lot of mesh to enclose it enough to be effective.
Unread 11-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

So this is a temporary closure?

Glad I got to climb the tower once, I want to do it at night though still
Unread 11-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Man...I hope this is only temporary. I'd like to head up to the tower if we got as much snow as we did last season. Even though I am afraid of heights wait....I mean terrified, I would still climb that tower for the view.
Unread 11-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #21
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigX View Post
Man...I hope this is only temporary. I'd like to head up to the tower if we got as much snow as we did last season. Even though I am afraid of heights wait....I mean terrified, I would still climb that tower for the view.
I am terrified of heights too. I was shaking the whole time too

The view is definitely worth it.
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #22
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

Here's another hope that it's temporary. I usually make the tower one of the last places I stop if I'm taking anybody through the forest. Got inside it one day since it was staffed with a fire spotter, pretty cool! Guy let a couple of us inside to see the maps and look around.
Unread 11-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #23
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

From what I understand, I'll confirm later on, that they aren't enforcing anything on people who walk up to the tower(The batona Trail goes right to the tower). Its just gonna be for vehicle access. You want to go up the tower? you walk for a couple minutes. Not bad really.
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #24
MuckSavage
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
I am terrified of heights too. I was shaking the whole time too

The view is definitely worth it.
It wasn't just you shaking....the tower has a little sway to it on a windy day
'81 CJ7; 258, T5, 3:73, locked F & R, Superwinch S9000, a Rusty mess.

'96 XJ Classic. Detours Backbone, Superwinch S9000,
Rusty's 2" BB, 31" General Grabber AT2's, Rusty's BPE, rear Power Trax No-Slip.

Just geocaching thru the Jersey Pines.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #25
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

lol, you guys would die at my job in the oil refinery. that tower isn't even a third of what I climb on a weekly basis. and we don't have nice little stairs either. It's ladder rungs lol.
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #26
mikekelly77
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Was just up there Friday night...didnt see any signs, but there is more ranger activity in wharton lately. They have been checking registration of vehicles and things like that. Not that they shouldnt do this if you were in the wrong, but they have been said to pull over groups at random to check now.

Wharton is a great place, and as said, most of the issue revolves around the small group that goes back there to smash tv's, get smashed themselves, dump trash, and throw stuff in the holes.

Be smart when you wheel, and you should be OK. Hope they dont really put up barriers.
mikekelly77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #27
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

I personally would like to see the barriers due to the fact that it should deter a majority of the idiots. Walking a 1000 feet aint that big of a deal really. Until peopel stop going where theyre not supposed to be, expect the state park police to continue to discriminate some. They are getting alot of heat put on them from all of the negative media(1/4 mile and a few other spots). Freedom back there is going to continue to dwindle as long as people are going where they shouldn't be,having fires and not distinguishing them and trashing areas. Trash has been a problem in Wharton since i can remember, it's just the area we live in consists of a lot of scumbags.Areas where we shouldn't be dates back to when rangers where a once a year site, not as many people cared about the environment back in the 80s as they do now. Also a up to date map of the legal trails needs to be publicly available. The Pinelands Preservation as a whole is going to get cracked down on pretty hard ever since they'd been reviewed horrible. Compare the pinelands to the rest of the perserves in the country and ours is sorta in an outlaw state compared to others. Thats all going to dwindle soon, not just in Wharton but other state forests and WMAs. I've been preaching this to people for years but everyone blew me off and continued on with their ways, now we all are going to pay.
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #28
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I wish we could wheel the pine barrens here on Long Island we have plenty of it too. Funny how a state that is so oppressive some ways is so liberal in others.
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #29
mikekelly77
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBass View Post
Yeah I wish we could wheel the pine barrens here on Long Island we have plenty of it too. Funny how a state that is so oppressive some ways is so liberal in others.
You do have to go back to the history of Wharton State forest to understand the liberal nature. It is surely not the state. Wharton was an extremely wealthy philanthropist in this area many years ago. He bought a vast tract of land in the Pine Barrens and handed it to the state to be turned into a State Forest. His intention was to keep this area preserved for recreational use. Im not sure he intended for us to be wheelin with 12" lifts and 44's, but hey, it happened. It is thanks to Wharton, the person that we have the freedom in NJ. But as said, this is changing, and very quickly I may add. Its within the last year Ive been hearing stuff like this. Never had a problem myself. And we drove right past a ranger not to far off of quarter mile this weekend. He just waved and went along his way.
mikekelly77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #30
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

It's the only national preserve where the non tread lightly ways of people have slid by the way they have(I'm guilty of it myself in my younger years). The good thing is that "trail riding" will still be allowed as long as people don't mess it up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.