Apple Pie Hill in NJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Jersey Jeep Forum > Apple Pie Hill in NJ

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Apple Pie Hill in NJ

copy and pasted from another forum:

Apple Pie Hill Has Been Closed To The Public
As I approached Apple Pie Hill this afternoon from the south on the Batona Trail, I encountered three signs from the NJ Div of Parks nailed to trees that said no littering, no dumping, or motorized vehicles are allowed on Apple Pie Hill. The when I reached the north side of Apple Pie Hill I encountered no tresspassing signs up all along the dirt road warning that the area is closed for all public use and anyone caught there would be prosecuted. These warnings are posted on 8 1/2" X 11" sheets of paper that have been tacked to the trees. Not sure why they made these signs out of paper since they can be easily torn down and at best will only be legible until the next rain storm.

I'm assuming, or at least hoping, they won't enforce the "no tresspassing" provision against hikers since the Batona Trail goes right through Apple Pie Hill. The way people have repeatedly trashed that area is a disgrace and I have felt something should be done for a long time, but I really don't think making it a "no tresspassing" zone is the answer. I don't think that is going to deter the vandals. It certainly didn't deter the two car loads of people who were climbing the tower when I walked by.

Now from what I heard this was done specifically so tickets can be written to vandals. FFS is talking about putting Jersey barriers up blocking all traffic. So if you know anyone who has littered/partied/ or thrown TVS off of there you can soon thank them for your new hiking expierience on up to Apple Pie Hill. State is also taking about bringin Jersey barriers to block off the driving trails up to the tower.

mudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
CJack350
1980 CJ7 

Were all of the signs printed on paper? If so that sounds kind of fishy.
CJack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Demolition_x
1994 XJ Cherokee 

That sucks such a nice place to go visit. Hated the trash that was ALWAYS piled up.
Demolition_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
NJMike

Thats odd. A group I know went up there yesterday with permission and did some repairs to the tower, moved some dirt around, painted some railings, and cleaned up trash. The Park Police actually met them there during this. No one from that group has mentioned anything about it being blocked off or closed as of yet.
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Yes but it was confirmed by state officials that these are just temporary. FFS has placed them there. It was only a matter of time until this happened. Everytime you'd clean it up back there there would be another TV smashed within a week.
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMike View Post
Thats odd. A group I know went up there yesterday with permission and did some repairs to the tower, moved some dirt around, painted some railings, and cleaned up trash. The Park Police actually met them there during this. No one has mentioned anything about it being blocked off or closed as of yet.
I'm in that group and was not at apple pie hill for i was in North Carolina for the weekend. The road is not blocked yet, just teh signs are there.
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

NOOOOOOO CLimbing up that tower was alot of fun! This is the one that people throw tv's off of, correct?
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition_x View Post
That sucks such a nice place to go visit. Hated the trash that was ALWAYS piled up.
Either way you'll still be able to go up there for the Batona goes right to it. You just will soon have to park and walk a few thousand feet. Not a big deal really. Just needed to do something to deter people from dropping the TVs off of the top.
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaubinoe View Post
This is the one that people throw tv's off of, correct?
yep
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaubinoe View Post
NOOOOOOO CLimbing up that tower was alot of fun! This is the one that people throw tv's off of, correct?
So sad to see someone from a couple states away to know it as the one that peopel dropped TVs off of.
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboy View Post
Either way you'll still be able to go up there for the Batona goes right to it. You just will soon have to park and walk a few thousand feet. Not a big deal really. Just needed to do something to deter people from dropping the TVs off of the top.
You don't think they'll just carry the TVs?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

If they do.... not as many. I know i sure as hell wouldn't want to carry one that far up hill and over barriers. In previous places they have actual dismantled the fire towers. this is what people are trying to prevent from happening. It's one of the only places in South Jersey you can view all the way from one side of the state to another (Philadelphia to your Northwest and Atlantic City to your Southeast)
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
NJMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
You don't think they'll just carry the TVs?
It might deter some. Part of the problem is you don't need a truck or four wheel drive to get there. I'm told the place gets littered at an unbelievable rate. It's a shame.
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #14
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

It is, It's an awesome place that if it keeps going the way it is, my kids won't be able to enjoy other than pictures that us"old timers" took.
off subject but there is very few places in Wharton you need a 4x4 or truck to get to lol.
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
NJMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboy View Post
off subject but there is very few places in Wharton you need a 4x4 or truck to get to lol.
Oh yeah, thats true.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.