Amount of lights laws - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
10sahara
2009 JK Wrangler 

Amount of lights laws

Is there a law for the amount of lights you can put on your jeep in NJ? Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-27-2011, 04:51 AM
atvredneck13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes there is and its something like six forward facing lights that can be uncovered. But if you have more and just put the covers on em you should be good. I havent gotten pulled over yet...
Attached Thumbnails
new front bumper.jpg  
post #3 of 18 Old 06-27-2011, 04:55 AM
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

not sure about jersey, but some states do not allow uncovered lights above your headlamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley91 View Post
I could be drunk, high, raped and almost dead.... and I could still recognize it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 AM
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

NJAC 13-20-37.3
states the maximum number of auxiliary lights is 4 and must be covered at all times while on a public road.
NJPS 39-3-51
are all lioght related laws within chqapter 39. All pretty much indicate a total of 4
post #5 of 18 Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Budasac
2005 WK 

As far as the four light law: You can have no more then four lights ON in the front of the vehicle. ( Typically two headlights and two fog lights or driving lights) This is why all new vehicles automatically cut off your fog lights when you activate the high beams(lows stay lit w/ high beams, if fogs stayed on that would be six lights.) All other lights must be covered so you don't have the ability to use them on the road. I don't believe there is a limit as to how many you have. The only limit is how many can be used on the street. If they're covered you can put as many as you want. Also, aux lights used on the street must be below 42". If they're on the roof they need to be covered.

NJ Lift Laws
post #6 of 18 Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 AM
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

could have sworn as of about 2 years ago, they put a limit on the amount you can have as well. I'll have to check with mu buddy who I believe failed stability due to this.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
motorheadmach1
1990 XJ Cherokee 

"improper display/usage of spot lamps" I dont have the ticket in front of me for the number but i was the proud reciepient. cost $160 complete b/s but thas what troopers are good for knowing laws and tickets you could never imagine. That was in south jersey when i got off 295 at exit 19 bu the truck stop.

1990 XJ, complete HO swap, approx 4" lift, 33 mt's, "trimmed" fenders, cobra CB, Homebrew roof light bar, 91' non disconnect front axle. various odds and ends.
"Friends don't let friends wrench alone"
post #8 of 18 Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 PM
shadyvito

Here is a warning for you guys about your lights. A couple of friends were driving through Wharton back in May and on the way out it got dark. They got pulled over for using their aux lights on Quaker Bridge road. The ranger said it didn't matter that they were in the middle of the woods in the pitch dark, on a dirt road, it was still a public road and the lights need to be off and covered. They tried to make a argument on the side of safety in the pitch dark but the ranger was sticking to the letter of the law and not logic.

2007 FJ Crusier Sunburst Yellow
Scuba Mod, K&N Air Filter, KC Day Lighter's, 3" Rough Country Lift, All Pro Skid Plates, Snorkel, All Pro Rock Sliders, and BFG Mud Terrains
post #9 of 18 Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

This is because there's too many *******s that don't turn them off. I can't count on my own two hands the amount of times I have been blinded by them. I can also tell you that I have been driving in them woods for longer than some of these board members have been alive and not once did I feel unsafe without auxs. regular lights work fine for our light polluted woods. It's not like were in the deserts of Arizona. The trick is not to let them get muddy, every once in a while you have to wipe them off. Damn do I hate them lights lol.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 PM
shadyvito

High beams coming the other way down the highway make me nuts too!

Scuba Mod, K&N Air Filter, KC Day Lighter's, 3" Rough Country Lift, All Pro Skid Plates, Snorkel, All Pro Rock Sliders, and BFG Mud Terrains
post #11 of 18 Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 PM
04bullet
2007 WK 

all aux. lights faceing foward must be covered on public rads. its a preatty good fine to. My family use to have a dodge dakota, i belive early 90s.it was the HD model and cutome ordered with a roll bar in the bed with 4 aux. lights mounted. one night my old man got pulled over for them not being covered and the cop gace him 200 in fines for it. He covered them up real quick.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Budasac
2005 WK 

Not ALL aux. lights need to be covered. Factory fogs are aux. lights. You are allowed to have four front facing lights uncovered (2 headlights and 2 fogs/driving lights. Any more then that and they have to be covered.

As far as your pops getting ticketed. All roof mounted lights need to be covered at all times. Max mounting height for aux. lights is 42" to center. (see post #5)

NJ Lift Laws
post #13 of 18 Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 AM
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Every light law in Jersey right here. Then under NJAC 13:20-37.3 it states that
"Off-road lights must be covered while operating on public roads"
for more info call any of these sites

Specialty Inspection Sites: Winslow, 609.567.0646; Morristown, 973.631.6578; Asbury Park, 732.869.8328

39:3-51. Auxiliary driving lamps

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than twelve inches nor more than forty-two inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands, and every such auxiliary driving lamp or lamps shall be so aimed and used that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam will be directed to the left of the prolongation of the extreme left side of the vehicle nor more than one hundred feet ahead of the vehicle.

39:3-53. Spot lamps

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one spot lamp but the use of any such spot lamp for driving purposes is prohibited and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used so as not to be dazzling or glaring to any person.

At the times when lighted lamps are required, at least 2 lighted driving lamps shall be displayed, an equal number on each side of the front of every motor vehicle other than a motor cycle and other than a motor-drawn vehicle except when such vehicle is parked subject to the provisions governing lights on parked vehicles or is flashing vehicular traffic hazard warning signals as provided for in sections 39:3-54 and 39:3-64. Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlamps as in this article required is also equipped with auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.
Amended by L.1964, c. 136, s. 5.

39:3-61.1. Mounting of lamps and reflectors

Lamps and reflectors required by section 39:3-61 shall be mounted on a vehicle as follows:
(a) Every lamp and every reflector shall be permanently and securely mounted in a workmanlike manner on a permanent part of the vehicle.
(b) When two lamps or two reflectors of the same type are required on the front or on the rear of a vehicle, they shall be mounted at the same level and spaced as widely laterally as practicable.
(c) The mounted height of a lamp or reflector shall be measured from the center thereof to the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.
(d) Headlamps shall be so mounted that their beams are readily adjustable, both vertically and horizontally, and their aim is not readily disturbed by ordinary conditions of service. The mounted height of headlamps shall be not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches, but these height requirements shall not apply to trucks prepared for snowplowing.
(e) The mounted height of tail lamps shall be not more than 72 inches nor less than 15 inches; eye-level tail lamps may be mounted outside the passenger vehicle; provided their height does not exceed 72 inches. Rear lamps may be mounted higher than 72 inches on any vehicle designed for carrying flammable liquids as a cargo.
(f) Clearance lamps shall be mounted to indicate the extreme width and height of the vehicle so far as is practicable, except that on a truck tractor, they shall be mounted to indicate the extreme width of the cab. On flatbed vehicles and vehicles designed for carrying flammable liquids, rear clearance lamps may be located on the chassis, and front clearance lamps may be located on the cab of trucks or truck tractors or the vehicle's chassis, provided the lamps are clearly visible from a distance of 500 feet in the direction set forth therefor.
(g) Side-marker lamps may be mounted at optional height on the side of a vehicle.
(h) Turn signals required on the rear of a truck tractor not equipped with double-faced turn signals on or near the front shall be mounted on the rear in a manner to be visible to passing drivers.
(i) Identification lamps shall be mounted on the front and rear of the vehicle as close as practicable to the vertical center line of the vehicle, and shall be grouped in a horizontal row, with lamp centers spaced not less than six nor more than 12 inches apart; provided, however, that where the cab is not more than 42 inches wide at the front roof line, a single identification lamp at the center line of the cab shall be deemed to comply with the requirements for front identification lamps. No part of front identification lamps or their mountings may extend below the top of the vehicle windshield. Rear identification lamps on a truck, trailer, or semi-trailer need not be lighted if they are obscured by another vehicle towed by the truck or in the same combination of vehicles.
(j) The mounted height of reflectors shall be not less than 20 inches nor more than 60 inches. Every reflector shall be so installed in a workmanlike manner as to perform its function adequately, and to provide maximum stability and minimum likelihood of damage. Any reflector otherwise properly mounted may be securely installed on flexible strapping or belting; provided that under conditions of normal operation it reflects light in the required direction.
(k) The director in his discretion may prescribe additional requirements for mounting lamps or reflectors on vehicles, provided they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this article.
L.1964, c. 136, s. 7. Amended by L.1983, c. 59, s. 1, eff. Feb. 7, 1983; L.1984, c. 145, s. 1, eff. Sept. 8, 1984.

39:3-47 Improper lighting equipment; altering equipment $47
39:3-47a Failure to use headlights with wipers $47
39:3-49 Inadequate headlights $47
39:3-50 Unauthorized use of certain colored lights $47
39:3-51 Improper auxiliary driving lamps $47
39:3-52 Improper additional lighting equipment and use thereof $47
39:3-53 Improper spot lamps $47
39:3-54 Miscellaneous improper lights $47
39:3-55 Improper operation with alternate road lighting equipment $47
39:3-56 Operating without at least two front lighted lamps $47
39:3-57 Improper single beam lighting $47
39:3-58 Improper multiple beam headlights $47
39:3-59 No light beam indicator $47
39:3-60 Improper use of high and low headlight beams $47
39:3-61 Failure to equip motor vehicle with lamps and reflectors required $47
39:3-61.1 Improper mounting of lamps and reflectors $47
39:3-61.2 Improper combination of lighting devices and reflectors $47
39:3-61.3 Improper stop lamps $47
39:3-61.4 Improper placement and use of red lamps and flags on overhanging $47
loads
39:3-62 Unlit lamps on parked vehicle $47
39:3-64 Improper emergency warning light equipment $47
39:3-64.3 Failure of itinerant vendor to flash signals when stopped for $47
transacting business
39:3-65 Failure to equip farm machinery and other vehicles with lamps $47
39:3-66 Failure to maintain lamps $47
post #14 of 18 Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 AM
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

So basically. You are allowed up to 4 lights on at one crack. These lights can be low beam and high beam, or low beam and fog light. You can mount up to two off road lights if you have fog lights and up to 4 if yoiu do not have fog lights, you cannot mount them at mirroe height or on the roof. If they are offroad lights such as heelas, piaas, KCs, Dick Cepeks or any other misc. brand they have to be covered on all roads covered under chapter 39.This includes all state parks. State Parks would include Wharton and Brendon Byrne (lebanon), stokes, etc.

Hopefully this puts an end to the questions of all New Jersey light legality questions
post #15 of 18 Old 08-17-2011, 07:00 PM
shadyvito

Good info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.