who lives in CT - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Connecticut Jeep Forum > who lives in CT

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #16
ToxicTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun72079 View Post
east haven. welcome aboard. hey toxic were do you go offroad around here

First off, I'll let you all in on the news.. I don't drive a Jeep BUT.. I do have a Grand Wagoneer D44 for a front axle in my 87 4Runner.

Second.. I don't wheel around here... not really.
We are currently working with the state to create a comprehensive map/list of what state forest roads are open to us. There are some but currently, there is mass-confusion as to what is open and what is not, even though their own laws should dictate that. Problem is funding. The state hasn't had enough money over the last 10 years or more to actually get out and gate/block/or sign closed the roads they don't want us on.. so, its a hit or miss. You head out and stand a good chance of getting a ticket ($110) if you're where they feel you shouldn't be.
So, although I do know a couple of state forest roads that are open, there are no quality maps that one can access to make sure they are where they are supposed to be. Very easy to get lost/turned around out there and end up on private land or on a logging cut instead of a road.. or worse yet, on the wrong side of a shooting range ( yes, one road has an off shoot that leads right onto the back side of one.. not good...) )

Over the last 15-20 years, our club, the Eastern 4 Wheelers (and more recently, our regional association, East Coast 4WD Assoc-Northeast Region) have established several plots of private land for use on club rides. We have a couple parcels here in CT, a few in MA, 2 in VT, 1 in NY and access 1-2 times a year to 1500 acres in north Jersey.

Best bet is to join a club.
E4W www.eastern4wheelers.com (and most of our sister clubs through New England) charge about $50 a year for dues. I won't get into all the bennies, but, if you join a club and go on just 5 rides a year, thats $10 per ride. Rausch Creek in PA costs $35 a day. A Jeep Jamboree costs about $500-$600 per couple per weekend. and the ticket mentioned above will run you $110.. So, even you got nothing else from the club, it would still be worth it.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #17
BNL TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicTurtle View Post
First off, I'll let you all in on the news.. I don't drive a Jeep BUT.. I do have a Grand Wagoneer D44 for a front axle in my 87 4Runner.

Second.. I don't wheel around here... not really.
We are currently working with the state to create a comprehensive map/list of what state forest roads are open to us. There are some but currently, there is mass-confusion as to what is open and what is not, even though their own laws should dictate that. Problem is funding. The state hasn't had enough money over the last 10 years or more to actually get out and gate/block/or sign closed the roads they don't want us on.. so, its a hit or miss. You head out and stand a good chance of getting a ticket ($110) if you're where they feel you shouldn't be.
So, although I do know a couple of state forest roads that are open, there are no quality maps that one can access to make sure they are where they are supposed to be. Very easy to get lost/turned around out there and end up on private land or on a logging cut instead of a road.. or worse yet, on the wrong side of a shooting range ( yes, one road has an off shoot that leads right onto the back side of one.. not good...) )

Over the last 15-20 years, our club, the Eastern 4 Wheelers (and more recently, our regional association, East Coast 4WD Assoc-Northeast Region) have established several plots of private land for use on club rides. We have a couple parcels here in CT, a few in MA, 2 in VT, 1 in NY and access 1-2 times a year to 1500 acres in north Jersey.

Best bet is to join a club.
E4W www.eastern4wheelers.com (and most of our sister clubs through New England) charge about $50 a year for dues. I won't get into all the bennies, but, if you join a club and go on just 5 rides a year, thats $10 per ride. Rausch Creek in PA costs $35 a day. A Jeep Jamboree costs about $500-$600 per couple per weekend. and the ticket mentioned above will run you $110.. So, even you got nothing else from the club, it would still be worth it.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Talk soon,

Oh great! we got him going. At least he kept it to only four paragraphs
BNL TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #18
shaun72079
1994 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the advice toxic im new to the whole 4 wheeling thing and was looking were and how to have fun
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #19
bgoman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks for the advice toxic im new to the whole 4 wheeling thing and was looking were and how to have fun
Try Nepaug State Forest, it's legal during the day. Its in Torrington off Route 202
bgoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #20
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

dont live in CT but my gf lives in Farmington and i'm up there a lot
1997 ZJ, 1992 YJ, 1992 XJ
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #21
beater_xj

Vernon, CT. I heard some people talking about a spot in manchester to go wheelin, anybody know where this is?
beater_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #22
faticone
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
east haven. welcome aboard. hey toxic were do you go offroad around here
oh boy, we got a staven-er... everyone hide your hair gel

jk jk jk
Unread 11-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
swis217
2004 TJ Wrangler 

New Britain
swis217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #24
bigbike
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm from Cheshire. If anyone sees a older model XJ with 32s and 3 inchs o lift and a TJ willys star on the hood thats me. I go to NVCC in WTBY any one go there?
bigbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 05:24 AM   #25
88xjchief
1989 MJ Comanche 

I live in Cheshire but work in Old Saybrook and Im in guilford alot.
Red Jeep club #419
88xjchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 05:32 AM   #26
jmiles
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Waterford and work in New Haven.
jmiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #27
dale88
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
Waterford and work in New Haven.
I live up the street from you in Norwich are there any local jeep clubs in the area. if not want to start one?
dale88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
ToxicTurtle

In Nepaug, the only thing legal are the dirt roads. You don't even need 4WD to drive on them. During the late winter months, they may get a bit rutted and muddy. Any other time, they are 2WD, easy.
There is nothing legal in Manchester. Chances are its private property that people simply haven't been caught on enough yet because the Police have more on their plates to worry about then people wheeling illegally.
However, wheeling illegally, anywhere, hurts all of our chances to get more available here in CT, helps the greenies, who don't want us wheeling, at all, get more ammo to get more areas closed, including laws that would severely restrict us wheeling even on our own private parcels.

As I mentioned above, joining a club is your best bet.
Giving you directions TO a trail head is easy. Giving you directions, to navigate successfully THROUGH the woods is not and why you won't see me posting locations, directions, etc on any forums or handing them out to people I don't know via email. It is just way too easy to get turned around and end up where you aren't supposed to be.

Check out www.EC4WDA.org/RegionD for a list of area clubs.
If you want to start your own, I will help in anyway I can.. I have been doing this for over 20 years, I am VP of the EC4WDA Northeast Region, the national Land Use chair and the Regional land Use chair.. plus a whole bunch of other hats I wear too.

Any questions, just ask.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #29
dale88
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicTurtle View Post
In Nepaug, the only thing legal are the dirt roads. You don't even need 4WD to drive on them. During the late winter months, they may get a bit rutted and muddy. Any other time, they are 2WD, easy.
There is nothing legal in Manchester. Chances are its private property that people simply haven't been caught on enough yet because the Police have more on their plates to worry about then people wheeling illegally.
However, wheeling illegally, anywhere, hurts all of our chances to get more available here in CT, helps the greenies, who don't want us wheeling, at all, get more ammo to get more areas closed, including laws that would severely restrict us wheeling even on our own private parcels.

As I mentioned above, joining a club is your best bet.
Giving you directions TO a trail head is easy. Giving you directions, to navigate successfully THROUGH the woods is not and why you won't see me posting locations, directions, etc on any forums or handing them out to people I don't know via email. It is just way too easy to get turned around and end up where you aren't supposed to be.

Check out www.EC4WDA.org/RegionD for a list of area clubs.
If you want to start your own, I will help in anyway I can.. I have been doing this for over 20 years, I am VP of the EC4WDA Northeast Region, the national Land Use chair and the Regional land Use chair.. plus a whole bunch of other hats I wear too.

Any questions, just ask.

Talk soon,
Thanks for the info i mite take you up on that some time .I was the president of the camaro club here in CT in the 80s and vice of dream-machine classic auto club in the 90s ,so i have some experience at this type of thing but its not something you can do on your own. Again thanks
dale88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #30
Osmosiz
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info toxic. always good advice.

will work for jeep parts
Osmosiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.