who lives in CT - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Connecticut Jeep Forum > who lives in CT

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #181
CT98XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicTurtle View Post
FYI. They have closed the gates at Nepaug and are ticketing those who they find beyond them.
I'd suggest other plans.
thanks for the info wasnt aware of that

CT98XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #182
SB42Champs
2008 JK Wrangler 

Jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar619 View Post
milford and work in north haven
Nice, I live in Milford too. There aren't many trails in the area tho. Kinda sucks!
SB42Champs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #183
offrdjeepfreak8
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in Monroe
offrdjeepfreak8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #184
Du510
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdjeepfreak8 View Post
I'm in Monroe
Ill be hiking there this coming w/e

South v. Maryland, 59 U.S. (How.) 396, 15 L.Ed.433 (1856) (the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that local law-enforcement had no duty to protect individuals, but only a general duty to enforce the laws.)

Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves." --Ronald Reagan
Du510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #185
SB42Champs
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have heard of one KINDA LEGAL place to go around Southern Conn. Atwater Road in Bethany CT.

Now from what I've heard, it's a street. That's it. Undeveloped & fun! My buddies have been going there for months now, and from what they told me, they've never gotten caught. It's a very long, dead-end street. There is one house, on the corner of Atwater & the main road, but that's it. I've been told that you'll notice it isn't safe for cars. Too many steep inclines & declines. I haven't been able to get up there yet, but I thought I'd pass the info along.

My buddy told me that the trails are very long, and there's a lot of mud pits & a few rock inclines. The only thing is, you don't want to come out the same way you came in. He said he cops don't exactly mind, but would rather not have mud all over the streets. I'm just passing along what I was told.

I have a Google Earth map of the area. Apparently the trails do connect to other streets closeby.

But I have to say, I agree with Toxic Turtle. We should be careful of the environment & any illegal wheeling. I would hate to ruin the experience for other wheelers & future wheelers by doing something illegal & making the situation worse for everyone else.

Unread 03-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #186
ToxicTurtle

One of my maps shows it as a road. However, it is NOT on my state list of unmaintained roads in Bethany. Which means, that it may no longer be on the books and no longer open... which means that it has reverted back to the surrounding landowners and is private property.
One can make a quick call to the town clerk's office and ask if Atwater is still on the books as a complete through street or if any portion of it has been abandoned/discontinued/reverted to its abutters.
In looking over the Vitual Earth map of the area, it appears as though it ends in the backyards of some good sized homes.. the type that don't take very well to rigs rolling up into their backyards.

I would take the few minutes to contact the town offices before heading out there.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #187
rockaustin
2005 WK 

I am in Simsbury
rockaustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #188
tjmaniac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

lives in ct.

i live in maine now, but i grew up in middletown and went to uconn.
tjmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #189
bill38jeep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB42Champs View Post
I have heard of one KINDA LEGAL place to go around Southern Conn. Atwater Road in Bethany CT.

Now from what I've heard, it's a street. That's it. Undeveloped & fun! My buddies have been going there for months now, and from what they told me, they've never gotten caught. It's a very long, dead-end street. There is one house, on the corner of Atwater & the main road, but that's it. I've been told that you'll notice it isn't safe for cars. Too many steep inclines & declines. I haven't been able to get up there yet, but I thought I'd pass the info along.

My buddy told me that the trails are very long, and there's a lot of mud pits & a few rock inclines. The only thing is, you don't want to come out the same way you came in. He said he cops don't exactly mind, but would rather not have mud all over the streets. I'm just passing along what I was told.

I have a Google Earth map of the area. Apparently the trails do connect to other streets closeby.

But I have to say, I agree with Toxic Turtle. We should be careful of the environment & any illegal wheeling. I would hate to ruin the experience for other wheelers & future wheelers by doing something illegal & making the situation worse for everyone else.

I live about 3 miles from there...that's a fun trail but it can be hard if you don't have a lot of clearance, there's a few large rock you have to go over and cannot go around.
bill38jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #190
Du510
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill38jeep View Post
I live about 3 miles from there...that's a fun trail but it can be hard if you don't have a lot of clearance, there's a few large rock you have to go over and cannot go around.
I am just a few min away --- if it's legal, I'm up for a ride.

Did you get the chance to figure out ownership of the road?

South v. Maryland, 59 U.S. (How.) 396, 15 L.Ed.433 (1856) (the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that local law-enforcement had no duty to protect individuals, but only a general duty to enforce the laws.)

Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves." --Ronald Reagan
Du510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #191
bill38jeep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du510 View Post

It's actually not legal, I don't think. But i have seen tons of people on there so I guess its no prob, and on top if it police couldn't get down there if they wanted to.
bill38jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #192
BNL TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Even though the police can't get down there, that doesn't mean they won't be waiting for you on the road.
BNL TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #193
bosoxfan455
1998 TJ Wrangler 

windham here, just bought a tj and have seen quite a few people around seems like i cant go 5 minutes without getting a wave from someone alot different than when i drive dads commanche

i would be interested in getting a few decent trail rides together or at least learning of a few places to go that might be a bit of a challenge
bosoxfan455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #194
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

hey guys im in torrington i go wheeling in nepaug when its open i also go to harwinton some times, when i get my la's done im up for wheeling
skyway0018746 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #195
SB42Champs
2008 JK Wrangler 

Jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du510 View Post

My buddy who told me of the spot, is going down there in the next couple of days. He has an extra seat in his cherokee, and he has some huge tires, so I'm gonna tag along & check it out

Apparently there are many ways out of the trails to other main roads nearby, it would seem silly to me that 5 or 6 cop cars would really sit around all afternoon & wait for us to come out. I could be wrong, prob am, but from what I've heard, the po-lice don't really care that much. Haha...I guess I'm gonna test that theory in a few days!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.