JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Connecticut Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f359/)
-   -   New London wheeling? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f359/new-london-wheeling-1397482/)

Butterbuddha 07-25-2012 01:54 PM

New London wheeling?

Hey whats up my northern brethren!

Found out that I might be up in New London working in the sub base in a couple of months, and was thinking about driving my heep up there instead of flying. (I'm in Virginia. 497 miles to my hotel according to Mapquest) I'll actually be staying in Mystic.

Anyways, I was wondering what do you guys do for wheeling? Is there anything somewhat close? My company is pretty much get it-get it until the entire project is over, so I never count on having any days off. I have never been up there, dunno if maybe something is close enough for an afternoon of stress relief, and who knows maybe one or two days off....?

Technohead 07-25-2012 07:10 PM

My advice would be to fly. There is no public land in the area that offers interesting wheeling opportunities.

Most of us wheel on private property with owner permission. Depending on the exact dates you might be able to jump in on one of our club trail rides (which might be in Western MA or even Southern NH).

Butterbuddha 07-26-2012 02:37 AM

Ouch that sucks. (However, 99% of all Virginia wheeling opportunities are almost 4 hours away from me here too) I may get a day off here or there, but I wouldn't know it until the afternoon of the day before. Quite the hindrance for planning of any kind :(

I have spent many many months working up in Kittery Maine, but I have never been to CT. No chance of snowy state park roads or anything this year? (I'm looking at middle of Sept to beginning of Nov)

Butterbuddha 07-27-2012 02:55 PM

I have seen a few youtube videos of offroad opportunites over in Naugatuck. No good for after work but if I had a day off maybe? Is that legal or not so much....?

codyjames 08-20-2012 09:22 PM

if you drive up let me know I actually live in Mystic. We have a few legal spots within an hour drive. I'm always up for some wheeling.

grandboost98 08-21-2012 06:57 AM

Legal spot eh? where might those be?

trez 08-21-2012 07:19 AM

Patchaug state forest has some unmaintained old fire roads that are kinda fun to explore. Not too much serious stuff unless you stray off those roads. But if you stray off the road you're not there legally any more.

calvynandhobbs 08-21-2012 09:58 AM

Take a look at http://www.jt4x4.com/. Not sure how long you'll be here, but we do monthly rides, monthly meetings and monthly cruises where we set up our rigs at different places around the Groton area to show them off and for people to ask questions about them. We go up to MA and stuff, but also have a couple private properties in the Groton/Gales Ferry area. If you look around you'll find special offroad events around the area. This past weekend was a rock crawl and offroad show in Meridian that was a bunch of fun. Let me know if you have any questions.

Butterbuddha 08-25-2012 05:09 PM

Awesome thanks guys! At the moment it looks like I will be staying in Groton afterall, from 9/17ish to 10/10ish. Dunno if I am working days or nights yet, and as I mentioned unless something very odd is happening I work 7 days a week. (But hey if Im working nights that would give me every morning off!)

There is another guy who will be up there with me, in a stock 97(?) XJ. As far as I know he has never been wheeling but expressed interest! Hope I can get off the pavement atleast once while I'm up there.

OH might be back Nov and Dec. Time will tell!

calvynandhobbs 08-25-2012 07:41 PM

I live in Ledyard, right on the Old Mystic line so give a shout when you're hear or if you want to meet the JT4x4 group. Our private properties are 33s, at least one locker and a lot of body armor if you want to have a chance.

Butterbuddha 08-26-2012 07:45 AM

Roger that. I can roll with those specs ok though doesn't sound like something my buddy would be up to. (But as I mentioned I don't even know if we will be working the same shift so it may be a moot point anyways) Hope I get a chance to come out with you guys, sounds like a good time. :)

Butterbuddha 09-17-2012 08:02 PM

Well I have made it to lovely CT. A lot warmer than I expected, I pulled the soft doors and tossed them in the back with about 100 miles to go. You'd think I have two heads! The guy in the MacD's parking lot beside me literally almost dropped his breakfast right out of his mouth with the dropped jaw he had. Do you guys typically stay all buttoned up around here?

BigPete1994 09-18-2012 05:59 PM

i sure dont. i just put my doors back on cuz the mornings are chilly but from may to mid September my doors are off and they stay off as long as possible

Butterbuddha 09-18-2012 06:19 PM

Roger that!

Well, its looking like I'm not going to get any time off while I'm here. Gonna be tough to find a place to hit when I can't leave till 5! One of the guys in the yard told me there is a forest(?) place to leave the pavement coming from 138 to 49 North???

BNL TJ 09-19-2012 04:21 AM

That's pretty much in the Patchaug area

The time now is 12:30 AM.