Nepaug? CT Jeepers Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Connecticut Jeep Forum > Nepaug? CT Jeepers Help!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Reply
Unread 11-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
faticone
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 498
Nepaug? CT Jeepers Help!

hey guys,
i have heard that there are trails in nepaug park that are legal to drive on during the day...
also that its really easy going, more or less just dirt roads...

is there anywhere i can get a trail map?
or some advice on going there? i was thinking about heading up in the afternoon on 11/29

what do you guys think?

__________________
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Black
Wentworth Institute of Technology
faticone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
rubiwannabe
Senior Member
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hartford, CT.
Posts: 574
nepaug...SP

Ive heard the same info but not really sure, id like to join you, if you dont mind, give me a call. 860-573-6460....jim
rubiwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
ToxicTurtle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Guilford, CT
Posts: 226
There are no maps for Nepaug available. There is very little info available on Nepaug from the DEP in general.

However, being in this sport for more than 20 years, I can tell you that ONLY the dirt roads are open at Nepaug. There are powerline and gas line cuts that although may not be well signed as closed, are. You will get yourself in lots of trouble, with a minimum of a $110 fine and possible vehicle confiscation for traveling on those lines.
Those dirt roads at times can be muddy and/or rutted, but that's not usually until late winter. Come spring, they grade the roads again and they're back to something you can take your Subaru on at speed.

Really, your best bet is to join up with a club. The clubs local to New England and CT all generally have dues in the $50 a year a range. That's less than half the cost of one of those tickets.
By joining a club, you'll get to attend monthly rides throughout New England, on not only the public roads that ARE open for 4WD use but on private lands that we have permission to use. Also, our region clubs have an open invite to fellow members, so, you can attend other clubs rides if you can't make your own club's ride that month. Actually, you could be out wheeling somewhere in New England every weekend of the year. Last year, EC4WDA Northeast region had 120 events scheduled throughout the season.

You can find info here: www.EC4WDA.org/RegionD

My club is www.Eastern4Wheelers.com

or you can simply ask if you have any other questions.

E4WBrill@aol.com

Talk soon,
__________________
David Brill
Guilford, CT.

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
faticone
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicTurtle View Post
There are no maps for Nepaug available. There is very little info available on Nepaug from the DEP in general.

However, being in this sport for more than 20 years, I can tell you that ONLY the dirt roads are open at Nepaug. There are powerline and gas line cuts that although may not be well signed as closed, are. You will get yourself in lots of trouble, with a minimum of a $110 fine and possible vehicle confiscation for traveling on those lines.
Those dirt roads at times can be muddy and/or rutted, but that's not usually until late winter. Come spring, they grade the roads again and they're back to something you can take your Subaru on at speed.
so basically what youre saying is.. dirt roads.. no powerlines
__________________
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Black
Wentworth Institute of Technology
faticone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
rubiwannabe
Senior Member
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hartford, CT.
Posts: 574
just a note the otherday i went to a state forest in CT although i mostly stayed on the dirt roads, they were a mess, i had a blast...roads were very saturated and soft..
rubiwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
faticone
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiwannabe View Post
just a note the otherday i went to a state forest in CT although i mostly stayed on the dirt roads, they were a mess, i had a blast...roads were very saturated and soft..
which one did you go to? PM if you cant say due to legality.
__________________
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Black
Wentworth Institute of Technology
faticone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
rubiwannabe
Senior Member
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hartford, CT.
Posts: 574
shnepist state forest, as far as i know..anyroad that wasnt gated is fair game.
rubiwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
bigbike
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 804
I have heard that Nepaug is now gated. Last time I went out there was at night and I got a $75 ticket for being there after hours. Your best bet is to call the DEP and ask them.
bigbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
faticone
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbike View Post
I have heard that Nepaug is now gated. Last time I went out there was at night and I got a $75 ticket for being there after hours. Your best bet is to call the DEP and ask them.
i went up to Nepaug, and apparently someone squealed on me and rubi for wanting to go up there, i wonder who did...

i did see gates, none were closed or locked, did not see any no trespassing signs... we will see what happens in the future.. however it was a hike for me to get there...
__________________
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Black
Wentworth Institute of Technology
faticone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 04:57 AM   #10
rubiwannabe
Senior Member
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hartford, CT.
Posts: 574
She(cop) definately knew were were coming, it was as if they either saw this posting or someone forwarned her,who knows...kinda wierd though...when she asked if we(i) are "those guys" off the net and i replied "no"...she stated not to go up in the forest woods because she'll be up there "waiting" for them....
rubiwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
ToxicTurtle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Guilford, CT
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiwannabe View Post
She(cop) definately knew were were coming, it was as if they either saw this posting or someone forwarned her,who knows...kinda wierd though...when she asked if we(i) are "those guys" off the net and i replied "no"...she stated not to go up in the forest woods because she'll be up there "waiting" for them....
Quote:
i did see gates, none were closed or locked, did not see any no trespassing signs... we will see what happens in the future.. however it was a hike for me to get there...
Seems like proof that what I've said all along is true. There are people keeping an eye on these forums (not just JeepForum either) who do not want us in the woods.
I also mentioned that the areas that are closed probably will not be well signed.
The gates that are open, are usually only done through hunting season, for access for the hunters. However, if you're out on those gated roads wheeling and can't show a valid hunting lic and hunting "equipment", you'll get a ticket or worse. Be glad she stopped you when she did otherwise, on top of the gas used to get there, you'd be sitting on that $110 ticket or worse.

Aside from keeping an eye on the forums, the state of CT is really upping their presence out in the forests to keep illegal wheeling to a minimum.
I have been working closely with the Governor's office and the DEP to actually get maps set up of what roads ARE open for our use throughout the state forests here in CT. It may take me a while to get there with them, as the state moves sloooowly, but I'm confident something positive will come from it. Illegal wheeling will only hurt the chances of that happening.

See my post above.

Talk soon,
__________________
David Brill
Guilford, CT.

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
faticone
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicTurtle View Post
Seems like proof that what I've said all along is true. There are people keeping an eye on these forums (not just JeepForum either) who do not want us in the woods.
I also mentioned that the areas that are closed probably will not be well signed.
The gates that are open, are usually only done through hunting season, for access for the hunters. However, if you're out on those gated roads wheeling and can't show a valid hunting lic and hunting "equipment", you'll get a ticket or worse. Be glad she stopped you when she did otherwise, on top of the gas used to get there, you'd be sitting on that $110 ticket or worse.
i find that bull****. cops have better things to do than surf around 4 wheeling' websites...

i still say that someone tipped them off. which is a real dbag move, we were just going up there to cruse around the woods for a little fun.. not looking to go on illegal trails or cause havoc on any wildlife, like a hunter. to the tipster, thanks for wasting jim and i's time, gas, and ruining our fun.

anyway, what you're saying is, i have to get my hunting licenses and bring a rifle with me anytime i go back there and i'm fine?
seems like an easy way out of a ticket for free range to the trails
__________________
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Black
Wentworth Institute of Technology
faticone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #13
ToxicTurtle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Guilford, CT
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by faticone View Post
i find that bull****. cops have better things to do than surf around 4 wheeling' websites...

i still say that someone tipped them off. which is a real dbag move, we were just going up there to cruse around the woods for a little fun.. not looking to go on illegal trails or cause havoc on any wildlife, like a hunter. to the tipster, thanks for wasting jim and i's time, gas, and ruining our fun.

anyway, what you're saying is, i have to get my hunting licenses and bring a rifle with me anytime i go back there and i'm fine?
seems like an easy way out of a ticket for free range to the trails
I didn't say cops were surfing the forums. There are whole groups that exist solely to make sure that motorized use doesn't take place in the woods, in the desert, even on private land. Maybe a member of the CFPA (CT Forest and Parks Association.. NOT a state agency) Local Sierra Club, local Nature Conservancy, Appalachian Mountain club plus a whole bunch of others may be lurking and making calls to the DEP. However, there are officials within the DEP that are not enforcement officers who DO surf the web looking for all sorts of illegal activities. There is a friend of ours over on the CTTrails.org forum who is a CT EPO and he has told us a lot of behind the scenes info on what takes place in the CT DEP.

During hunting season, the DEP will often open certain gates to allow hunter access. You need to show proof that you're hunting. Hunting season is only about 2 months and has different seasons within that. There is black powder season, bow season, rifle, etc. If you bring a rifle out and have a hunting lic and its during bow season, you'll have a ****load more hassles than just a simple trespass or misuse of trail fine. A hunting lic will cost about $28 a year and only gets you access to those certain roads for 2 winter months. You should contact the DEP directly to find what roads would be open for hunter access.

Joining a club is $50 a year and you'll have access to 120+/- events throughout New England, with the security and knowledge that where you are going IS legal.

I will say that I have reported people who were blatantly scheduling an illegal run. I don't want to see the years of work that a whole lot of people have done keep going to waste over the fact that people don't like to listen to years of knowledge and experience and continue to wheel illegally. I did NOT however make any phone calls in this situation as you were (as you mentioned above) NOT looking to do anything illegally.. AAMOF, you specifically asked questions about where you wanted to go and I answered specifically. Trust me, if I called, you would certainly know it was me..
You were actually being rather responsible. I respect that. Its a lot more than can be said for some users of JeepForum.

As I have mentioned time and again, if anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Talk soon,
__________________
David Brill
Guilford, CT.

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
PaulR
Registered User
1982 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hadley, MA
Posts: 72
Cops lurk forums, I've seen it first hand. I've seen guys get warnings for posting pics of illegal places. Cops also wheel, just wheeled with one this weekend in fact. Not everyone is out to get us....but some are. Just like not all wheelers are bad......but some are.

PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Rubie Nubie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Connecticut Hills/ Adirondack Cabin
Posts: 52
Tj

Whenever you post your intentions on an open forum, You run the chance of

getting pounced on by the people that look to make our hobby a thing of the past...

If you don't think groups opposed to our sport are actively looking for tips on

possible illegal activity, you are naive to say the least... If you want to set up a

fun day out (Legal) of course, Join an area club and then do so on the members

side of that site. And before you dismiss this post as posturing by another anonymous

poster. I work for an agency that has a whole department that troll the Internet looking

for illegal activity, so is it possible that the DEP or some other agency or club is informing

the responsible parties of possible illegal wheeling... You betcha....

NOTE:
Since you appear to be new to this whole thing here's a hint, Unless you are in a bonifide Legal Wheeling area, never post a picture of any wheeling on an open site ( it can and will be used against you and the sport in general, esp. if there are power or gas lines in the background)
__________________
Blue Jeep Club Member #95
JarHead Jeep Club #2
Detours USA Custom Bumpers/Sidekicks, 3.5" RE Superflex Lift, 1" Daystar Body Lift, 15" Rockcrawler Steelies, 33" Cooper Destination SST's, Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Jeep Medic Belly Up Transmission/Engine Skid Plate Combo, Other Kirby+Skid Row protection. Bushwacker Flares and Wilderness Expedition Roof Rack, KC Aux Lighting, Custom Tunes, Cobra CB, Onboard GPS
Rubie Nubie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.