List of Dirt Roads and Off-Roading Spots in CT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Connecticut Jeep Forum > List of Dirt Roads and Off-Roading Spots in CT

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 08-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

List of Dirt Roads and Off-Roading Spots in CT

[placeholder for list of places to legaly/non-illegally "off-road" in CT]

Hello all,

I live in Branford, CT and see Jeeps and lifted-trucks all the time. I'm always wondering where they are off-roading in the state. I have a list of places I like to drive and I thought it would be cool if people could list/post pictures of their favorite spots. There is a thread like this, but it is old and I'd like to make a current list of places. So I'll post first.

Scott

Contrabassoon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

8/2/13 Trip to Cockaponset State Forest

There are a number of great roads to take that vary in difficult. All are capable for stock vehicles, though 4-low proved to be very useful in a few spots. Here are the roads.

1. North Tower Hill Rd. Killingworth, CT 06419. A rough forest Road.
2. Spruce Ledge Rd. Deep River, CT 06417. Lots of mud after a rain!
3. Filley Rd. Haddam, CT 06438. A dirt road in Cockaponset State Forest.
4. Jericho Rd. Haddam, CT 06438. A dirt road in Cockaponset State Forest.
a. [PM for coordinates] A small field of obstacles and dirt.
5. Mottland Rd. Higganum, CT 06438
b. [PM for coordinates] True off-roading! Large field of dirt, slopes, hills, rocks. Looks like a lot of atv's and dirtbikes use this area as well.
6. Old Country Rd. Higganum, CT 06441
b. [PM for coordinates] The road "disappears," and about 2/10 miles of true fun. Spotter needed.

Last edited by Contrabassoon86; 08-07-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
OMEGA46
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thinking of exploring this spots this weekend if anyone is interested in joining a new JKer
OMEGA46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

I'm glad to see some response in this forum. I think there should be some CT Jeep camaraderie. Officially there is no SUV off-roading on any CT trails, but as long we tread lightly and don't run over anything important these roads/trails should stay open. None of the roads I have listed are private or have "no motorized vehicles" signs. They are all considered "roads."

Scott
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
OMEGA46
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrabassoon86 View Post
I'm glad to see some response in this forum. I think there should be some CT Jeep camaraderie. Officially there is no SUV off-roading on any CT trails, but as long we tread lightly and don't run over anything important these roads/trails should stay open. None of the roads I have listed are private or have "no motorized vehicles" signs. They are all considered "roads."

Scott
Would be great to meet CT Jeep ppl. I know plenty of Infiniti/Nissan/Subi ppl. Hoping this community is just as fun.
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrabassoon86 View Post

Scott
It's good that these are all legal spots, but I'd be careful posting information this specific on an open website. You are making it available to people who may not be as responsible and who could potentially end up ruining it for all of us.
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
It's good that these are all legal spots, but I'd be careful posting information this specific on an open website. You are making it available to people who may not be as responsible and who could potentially end up ruining it for all of us.
Good point, biffgnar. I will remove the spots that are less public roads. People can pm me for coordinates. This can be a place where we can pool places though. Just let people know if you've got one and if they are trusted members of Jeep Forum then we can share our spots over PM's.

All of the places I posted are considered public roads.

Scott
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

there are a number of great spots in MA just over the border that are more challenging for the rock crawlers out there.
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
there are a number of great spots in MA just over the border that are more challenging for the rock crawlers out there.
Those could be worth adding. I'd like to make a list of public places to go. If it is more private or "non-illegal," let us know if we can PM you for the locations.

Scott
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
robhurlburt
1999 TJ Wrangler 

in for some spots. my buddy just picked up a sami on 34s and we are looking to explore. typically he just comes to KY and rides with my club, would be nice to find some spots to ride when I visit him. he is in the ellington area. I have heard about maa-bell, no idea if it is still accessible though. greentree rd in ellington used to be a place to explore
robhurlburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrabassoon86

Those could be worth adding. I'd like to make a list of public places to go. If it is more private or "non-illegal," let us know if we can PM you for the locations.

Scott
I don't personally know of the exact locations. I've been to a few I was just simply stating there are plenty in MA
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
OMEGA46
2012 JK Wrangler 

I will be out in Ellington this weekend, and Ill add what I can for everyone to enjoy. Im new to this so bare with me lol
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA46 View Post
I will be out in Ellington this weekend, and Ill add what I can for everyone to enjoy. Im new to this so bare with me lol
Thanks OMEGA46 and everyone,

We need info for those who like to used their daily driver Jeeps for some outdoor fun on the weekends. Not all of us are ready for serious rock crawling or the Rubicon trail.
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

other then dirt road trails I'd refrain from posting locations of offroad spots online. If the info gets out to the masses it could ruin and potentially close those locations down.

If you want to wheel in good locations in new england you should look into joining a club.

Just my 2 cents!

Have fun
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
other then dirt road trails I'd refrain from posting locations of offroad spots online. If the info gets out to the masses it could ruin and potentially close those locations down.

If you want to wheel in good locations in new england you should look into joining a club.

Just my 2 cents!

Have fun
Totally agree. Thanks for your input.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.