Custom drive shafts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Connecticut Jeep Forum > Custom drive shafts

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 06-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Custom drive shafts

Does anyone know of any places in CT that will make custom drive shafts? The two places Ive found so far are a joke and I was wondering if there were any other local options around here.

Thanks!

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Call Clayton and see what they recommend.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A guy in the club just got a long arm kit, sye and drive shaft through them and they ordered him a tom woods shaft. SVE performance recommended Camerotas but their drive shaft guy is on vacation I wasnt very happy with the customer service over the phone either.

Now Im waiting for Connecticut drive shaft (Fleet pride) to finish my drive shaft. I dropped it off Monday and they said it should be a couple days. I called them today and they said maybe Monday. I could have ordered a drive shaft online and received it quicker. Neither of these places will be getting my business in the future. We made my front drive shaft in 30 mins and these professionals cant make one within a week. If I didnt need it balanced I would have just made my own again.
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Never been impressed with Fleetpride. On the other hand have bought multiple shafts from TW where they have shipped the day after I called and their ongoing support has been awesome.
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Amazing. We have two driveshaft shops in the Providence area. RI Driveshaft is like the place you mentioned. Drop it off then wait and wait. So I started using Cockcroft. At Cockcroft I usually drop off in the morning and pick up during lunch break. The same day!!!
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The guy at fleet pride made tom woods drive shafts seem like a joke. He said he had a pile of busted ones in the back. If I wasn't so desperate I probably would have just walked away but he said 2 days so I said F it.

What's a cockcroft?
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
The guy at fleet pride made tom woods drive shafts seem like a joke. He said he had a pile of busted ones in the back. If I wasn't so desperate I probably would have just walked away but he said 2 days so I said F it.

What's a cockcroft?
All these place are using the same parts. They just cut the tube to length, weld it together, and balance. Its not rocket science.

Cockcroft is a driveshaft shop in East Providence.
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I've seen Fleetpride guys try that also. But from where I stood they were tyring to sell me something. If they were right I'm sure you'd read lots on these forums about how bad TW shafts are. What do you read?
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright so I got my drive shaft back. I ended up paying about half of what he quoted me at. I had to put new ujoints in it myself but that was no big deal to me at the price savings. If I had to again in a pinch, Id go there but I think Ill just order one online next time

I talked to him a little more about his truck and what kind of heavy duty drive shafts he builds....Hes got a 60 something dodge power wagon with a cummins on 54" tires. Obviously we are in different leagues here lol But he said that he uses Ford F350 or 450 CV sections because they are longer and give more flex as well as longer slip sections, thicker tubes, etc. Hes looking for $450. I think Ill be fine with a tom woods drive shaft on 35s. When I go to 54" tires Ill go to him lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.