Anybody near Ellington, CT? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Connecticut Jeep Forum > Anybody near Ellington, CT?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Awesome, thanks for the directions, I'll have to check that out. I'm a UPS driver, and plantation rd is part of my route area, so I'll take a look next time I go by. And that sucks about Green, but I've also heard about Porter and heard that too is pretty decent.

And the one off Pinney St. is a little hard to describe, but it's set back QUITE a ways from the road which makes it hard to notice on Google Maps. On google maps put in like 146 Pinney Rd, Ellington, CT, and from that point, begin scrolling to the right. Theres about 3-4 houses fairly close to the road, then a decent sized field after them, followed by one more house, before you get to the intersection of Pinney @ Windermere. When you get to the field section, slowly scroll to the back of it, where you will see the dirt road that follows the side, then the back, of the field. It looks like it crosses a small stream w/a bridge, then leads to the large track. I believe the track is REALLY behind that group of 3-4 houses. I live on the other side of Pinney St, and can hear them back there all day long. Tell me if youre able to find it.

derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Oh ok I see it. Theres a difference between Pinney St. and Pinney Rd. I was looking at Pinney Rd, You're talking about Pinney St. Lol. But yeah I see it. Too bad I just sold my bike, I totally would have gone there with it. Doesn't look like much in the way of wheeling, but it would still be fun to check it out nonetheless.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

OH MAN, lol I feel dumb now, considering I only LIVE on that street. Sorry, haha, I did mean Pinney ST. But yeah seems sick for anyone who rides, and definitely worth checking out, but it's probably limited to the extent of wheeling. However from the road, the trail leading to it is usually pretty gnarly, especially after a little rain. As soon as I get my Jeep, I'd love to find a few people who'd be interested in checking these spots out. I don't mind going alone to scout some, but I don't play much when solo for fear of getting stuck way out.

Unread 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
rabblerouser
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Just an fyi about the quarry, a girl got killed in the big section of it on a quad last summer, and theyve since blocked off the majority of it. So unless your fine with bottomless mudholes, or on a dirtbike its not really that good of a spot for wheeling anymore.

Ive done exploring and a lil trailblazing in south windsor along the river, and have turned the maybe .5 mile of trails into a 13 mile (odometer, one way)extravaganza, but i havent checked recently if trees are down or anything in awhile. also, you have to be fine with getting some tennessee pinstriping to take em, the trails are TIGHT, and scratches WILL happen. Also, avoid most mudholes. being so close to the river, alot of em are a TON deeper than they look, and the most unassuming small mudhole can swallow your tire.

Onto intel, goodle maps- type in vibert rd in south windsor, the boat launch is at the end of the road. to the right is corn fields, a few good fishing holes, and after going thru a few fields you get to a mudhole at the bottom of a steep hill in the trail. this one is safe to play in haha. after that its more fields, then your pretty much dead ended by a stream with really high banks and usually 2ft of water. to the left of the boat launch, is where the main parts are. Avoid mudholes on this side, and stay on the trail. really twisty trails, that get very tight further in. follow the trails downriver, eventually youll pass underneath the I291 bridge, and the trails just keep going downriver. Ive made it within maybe 100yds of the old railroad tressle bridge that spans the CT river just north of I84.

Thats an example of the sneaky mudholes. looked like just a wet spot with a lil standing water left in it. drove into it so i could hit a hill straight on just off camera to the right. yeah, im flexed completely out in this picture, took 2 trucks to suck my wheel, LCA, and half my front axle out of the mud. AFTER having to walk back 3 miles and cut the trail wider for them to GET to us.
rabblerouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Damn man that's crazy, now you mention it I think I heard about that accident, but never knew it happened there. Well that being said, I'll probably just avoid it.

And thanks for the heads up, I'll probably be more likely to check out those trails by the river, and I found what you're talking about on google maps. I'm always down too if a trails got a few good fishing holes. I usually try to play in just safe now because unfortunately, I've gotta ride solo for a lot of areas I explore. My mud buddy bought a newer frontier, stock, and now has become too afraid to get it dirty. I know it's dangerous to go alone, but I've got a few people I could call if I had too, but no ones down to just explore anymore.

And that manhole looks like a bear, but DEFINITELY doesn't look that deep, I probably would have hit it too, lol.

Unread 12-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #21
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Same thing happened at citi missions, except it was a young kid and a truck to collide. After that it was "closed".

That puddle doesnt look too bad though lol but I also prepared my Jeep after some close calls

These are a little deceiving (click for videos)

And your buddy with the frontier, has he ever been to rockland? I pulled a guy out of the mudhole there a couple weeks ago and I think he said he was out your way.
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #22
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone who doesnt mind some mud, rocks and tight trails is welcome to join in. I have a winch and usually go with atleast one other person so if you get stuck we can pull you out
Unread 12-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #23
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Man, that's crazy too, but I've never heard of citi mission or Rockland. And no my buddy is too p*ssy now to take his truck anywhere, he hasn't even hit a rain puddle with it yet, lol.

Where is Rockland? I'm always down for hitting up some new places, and so long as its in CT, or pretty close, I'm game. I'm still waiting for some front recovery points first, I've got rear but no fronts. Once I've got them, shouldn't be long, I'm down. I'm a little familiar with the east haven area too, I used to work for CarMax down there.

Unread 12-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #24
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Im the same way, my Jeep just hit 218xxx miles so Im a little uncomfortable wheeling out of state. Theres a few spots in different towns we go to along rt 80. Rockland is guilford/madison area.

Thats alright, youll just have to go first so when you get stuck, I can pull you back lol The XJ in that video, unfortunately, doesnt have any recovery points. He'll give it hell though to not get stuck and if he does, he just hooks up to the rear axle. Not safe but better than nothing.

Ive always liked WJs, almost traded my old car for a lifted one, so Id love to see what one can actually do in the trails
Unread 12-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #25
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Yeah I get soft on my jeeps when the mileage gets high, and I don't stray to far then either lol, it's not an easy drive with something broken, and its not a cheap tow.

And yeah the axle routes definitely not safe, but makes ok for an emergency. I used to wheel with a friend who had an explorer, which got stuck OFTEN, and he refused to spend money on hooks, so we always had to pull him out via back axle. Well once, my zj couldn't get him out of some deep mud, so a ram diesel yanked him out, and with the angle, pulled the axle out from under him... Springs tore from frame and everything, man wish I had some pics.

Lol and I always prefer to go in the middle so I've got a pull from either side lol. But sounds like a good time. I might just wait till January anyways (esp since holidays and all are coming) when I get her lifted with better tires, and can keep up better. I've always wheeled in grands, and they've always been awesome off-road, and luxurious too haha.

Unread 12-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #26
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I still beat the crap out of mine even with high miles lol which is why I stay in CT. You might want to invest in AAA platinum.

Talk about a luxurious wheeler, my buddy bought a range rover just to take through the trails lol

Unread 12-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #27
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

That's why I stick with these jeeps now, they can take abuse off-road, on road, and STILL keep asking for more, even over 200k. My ZJ was the same way.

And range/land rovers, especially with a little lift, are AMAZING off road animals. An old co worker was from the UK and over there, land rover is the jeep of the US, and this guy built some awesome off roaders, especially defenders.

And btw, sick videos, I watched your others too, that place looks like a good time, that's a Hell of a mud hole lol I don't think I'd fare well in it stock.

And nice yj too, I've been searching for one cheap forever, but then I got offered my grand for $500 and couldn't refuse. When I sell my Camry tho, I'll start looking for a yj again.

Unread 12-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #28
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, hes actually looking for a discovery right now to build up. I was definitely surprised at what the range rover could do stock.

Not sure which ones you saw but theres a mix of Brass Balls Offroad outings and meet and greets, Nepaug runs, Cockaponset, Cedar swap, Rockland, Citi, the dump and a couple other random spots. There are some big mud holes, most of which we all go through but theres a couple I couldnt even make.

Like this time

Tires completely disappeared and after hours of winching, I ran out of trees to pull me in the right direction so I had to wait for a couple more Jeeps to do a double pull ontop of me winching lol

You should actually check out the club though, most of them are up your ways. Jeeps go from bone stock to all out buggy

And thanks! If you look around craigslist everyday there are deals to be had. I saw a YJ go for 700 last week
Unread 12-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #29
rabblerouser
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah it sucks that its closed off now. It was 3 15 year olds riding on a quad, at night, ripping around. too fast around a sharp corner and the quad flipped killing the chick who was driving.

The spot by the river is pretty nice, and if the rivers low towards the end theres a massive sandbar you can driveout to, and every now and then a landbridge will show up to drive out to the sandbars. just be mindful of the tides, Ive had to sleep out there a few nights this past summer haha. We actually watched the july 4th riverfest from a sandbar. when we came out of the woods on the far side of the sand bar, there was a dude with a boat anchored maybe 15ft off the bank, and he asked us, "How the F*uck did you DRIVE all the way out here?!"
rabblerouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #30
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post
when we came out of the woods on the far side of the sand bar, there was a dude with a boat anchored maybe 15ft off the bank, and he asked us, "How the F*uck did you DRIVE all the way out here?!"
I'd be like "Easy, its a Jeep, no big deal"
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.