Anybody near Ellington, CT? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Connecticut Jeep Forum > Anybody near Ellington, CT?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Anybody near Ellington, CT?

Been seeing some lifted wranglers playing around in Ellington, CT, a few on a little muddy road right down the street from me. I would love to catch up or know of a few places nearby anybody might have access too. Feel free to PM me if you live in the area and know of a couple places or wanna meet up and buddy up to a few places.

Thanks

Derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
rabblerouser
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Im from manchester, but i know a ton of places to go wheeling around south windsor/eastwindsor.

couple friends and I are out on the east windsor/south windsor line wheeling a 600 acre-ish sandpit/quarry and the surrounding woods just about every weekend
rabblerouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
RyanTNE

Im from vernon. My roommate and i both have wranglers. We are always looking for new people to go wheeling with and new places. We hit green rd once in a while if we just wanna play in the mud, but we are always looking for places with technical driving.
RyanTNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
rabblerouser
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Green rd claimed the front bumper plastics on my old truck haha.

Not far from there is a big place me and all my friends go wheelin/shooting in the woods, id be more than happy to be tour guide one of these weekends.

This is from the last time we had a big group out there. the yota is lifted on 33's, and buried up to his rockers in the mud hole.
flexin.jpeg   banning-stuck.jpg  
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

I'm from tolland. Ive only gone to union, nipmuck state forest. Me and my buddies went a couple weeks ago, brought their nissan frontier as well. Where is this Green Rd? And the quarry? Is it private land? Looks like fun
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
rabblerouser
1987 XJ Cherokee 

green rd is off of rt 140 in ellington, the quarry i go wheeling in is private land (i believe herb holden owns it) on the east windsor/south windsor town line. Every weekend theres a ton of quads, dirtbikes, trucks, etc out there, usually a bonfire at night. Basically as long as noone messes with the equipment out there, theyre fine with people wheeling/riding out there on the weekends. this was the other day playing in the fresh mud. I apparently blew out the end of my track bar, now whenever i turn the wheel im getting a pop out of the ball joint on the frame side of my track bar.
green-muddy.jpeg  
Unread 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post
green rd is off of rt 140 in ellington, the quarry i go wheeling in is private land (i believe herb holden owns it) on the east windsor/south windsor town line. Every weekend theres a ton of quads, dirtbikes, trucks, etc out there, usually a bonfire at night. Basically as long as noone messes with the equipment out there, theyre fine with people wheeling/riding out there on the weekends. this was the other day playing in the fresh mud. I apparently blew out the end of my track bar, now whenever i turn the wheel im getting a pop out of the ball joint on the frame side of my track bar.
Did you get permission from anyone? or did you just hear that as long as you dont mess with the equipment you're fine? And when you say theres a bunch of trucks and quads there, did you mean during the day on the weekend? Ill have to go check out that green rd. with my buddies. Maybe we could meet up sometime.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
rabblerouser
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah its the general understanding there not to mess with the equipment. They know we go there, they know where the trails we come in from are, so if they cared about us being there they could easily block us out as theres only 2 trails anything bigger than a dirtbike can get through.

Saturday and sundays depending on weather and such, there'll be 20-30 dirtbikes and quads ripping around, and usually 5 or 6 trucks, last time we had a big group there we had 15 trucks, jeeps, etc out there, most stock, a few lifted, hell, even a 2wd ranger.

Theres also a bunch of trails by the south windsor boat launch, but those are boring for the most part, especially after spending a day in the quarry/sandpits.

and about green rd, watch out for DEEP ruts. if the guy that goes there with 44's has been there recently its extremely easy to get hicentered haha
Unread 04-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Ill be sure to watch out haha. Where do you come in from? You don't use the entrance to the road?

Unread 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
rabblerouser
1987 XJ Cherokee 

the main entrance is usually gated off. they have offices and all their trucks right by there, so they dont want people just driving in from the road. theres a trail off the road on the back side, thats where everyone goes in and out from on the weekends
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Ok i see (looking on google maps). I actually went down and checked out green rd. today. Got down to the end, but it was all dried out for the most part. There were some pretty big ruts. I walked down a trail to the right side that had pretty big ruts as well. Came out to a huge mud hole lol. Also while I was down there, I met a guy named Rob. He was down there in his cherokee going to pull out a stuck sammy that's been there for a week lol.

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
PaulBreg
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser
Im from manchester, but i know a ton of places to go wheeling around south windsor/eastwindsor.

couple friends and I are out on the east windsor/south windsor line wheeling a 600 acre-ish sandpit/quarry and the surrounding woods just about every weekend
What's up everyone. I'm from somers and always looking for new places and people to go wheeling. Pm me I anyone's interested.
PaulBreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm from Storrs. I go to UConn but I'm all over the North East part of the state usually.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Sorry to be reviving this older thread, but I forgot it after I posted it, and didn't realize there was so much activity, especially in our area. I had been off this site for some time, as I had to sell my ZJ a while back, which was really too tired to wheel any longer anyways, but this coming weekend, I'm going to be picking up my new (to me) WJ. Once I get it, I've gotta add a few things for recovery and suck, but I'm already aching to take it out and see how it does. I'll have to look into this Green Rd. off 140 here in Ellington, because I live in Ellington right off rt. 140, and have never noticed it lol. There's also a place down the street off Pinney Rd. in Ellington, with a dirt/muddy trail that leads behind an old farm, but disappears behind a few trees. I've been trying to check it out, but there's no way I can ever get my car far enough down it to check it out further, and I've seen a LOT of guys taking trucks down there, and every weekend, a big group of dirt bikers & atvs rip down the street and head into there. When you look up the area on Google Maps, you can actually see what appears to be a HUGE dirt track back there on a lot of land tucked away. Desperate to check it out.

Also, I know of the quarry you're talking about on the EW/SW line, a lot of my friends from HS who rode used to go back there on weekends. However, I never knew many trucks ever went, and I was always under the impression you couldn't fit a truck back there. Where, more specifically, are the trails located, or off of what road rather?

I'd love for some of us to be able to get together and head out for a weekend to one of these areas, especially if a few of you are familiar with them.

Thanks guys,

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Green Rd. isn't very spectacular. Its mostly just mud holes off the side of the road. I went and checked out Porter Rd cause a friend told me about it, which looks to be a pretty fun place. I only went for a little bit. (Off Kibbe Rd., which forks off to the right going north on 83.) Looking on google maps, I can't seem to find the place you're talking about off of pinney rd. Are you sure its pinney rd? because that's a real short section of rd in a rural area.

To get into the quarry, you go down plantation rd, and on the east side of the field, theres a dirt path with 3 trailers sitting there, go down the path about 100 yards and turn right in between the tobacco barns. Then you'll see another barn and hang a left when you get to it. Go down that trail, cross the RR tracks, and you're there.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.